PDA

View Full Version : Taking points from our rivals

kaptin1
30-11-2014, 09:29 AM
While we are still in the relegation zone our form against our rivals for survival is actually quite encouraging.

So far we have played 7 teams currently in the bottom half and, with the exception of West Brom, we have taken points from all of them.

Palace (A) - 1 point
Sunderland (H) - 1 point
West Brom (A) - 0 points
Leicester (A) - 1 point
Hull (H) - 3 points
Stoke (A) - 3 point
Villa (H) - 1 point

Overall these matches account for 10 points of our 11 point total (other coming against Man U). Based on wins at home and draws away, our hoped for return would have been 13 points against these sides, so to get 10 on the board is actually not bad going.

No-one really expects us to be beating the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal etc, but if we can maintain our form against those around us we will have a reasonable chance of staying up.

Perhaps the only disappointment is that we haven't actually picked up even more points. Palace away and Villa at home yesterday were two matches where,

spijed
30-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Good point and we still have to play:

Palace (H)
Sunderland (A)
West Brom (H)
Leicester (H)
Hull (A)
Stoke (H)
Villa (A)
QPR (H & A)

That's 6 home 3 away which are all winnable.

If you add in a few points - say 10 from top half teams we have a chance of staying up.

minniemouth
30-11-2014, 11:46 AM
I was going to put up a mini-league table. You've explained it all so I'll not bother. Although we beat Stoke I wouldn't include them.

oldcolner
30-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Good to see only only 6 pts from 9th place and only 3 from 14th
Lots to play for and Liverpool and Newcastle might struggle I hope.we get a few points from top clubs at home too.

The Bedlington Terrier
30-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Eight more wins and we are home and dry!

spijed
30-11-2014, 06:34 PM
"Eight more wins and we are home and dry!"

That would be on the basis we only get 8 draws. So if we pick up a few more draws then less wins are required.

Ashingtonclaret46
30-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Our form rating over the last four matches place us equal 6th with Southampton on 7 points.
Chelsea and Man City have 10, Newcastle, Man Utd and Spurs have 9 followed by us and Southampton.
The bottom five places see Liverpool, West Brom and Villa with 3 points, Leicester 1 and Hull 0.

It would be great if we could keep that up -- ever optimistic. ;)

ClaretTony2014
30-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Here's the table showing the clubs currently in the bottom nine places in the league (15 points down) from their games against each other.

http://i.imgur.com/EJRl7jc.jpg

wherewasi
30-11-2014, 07:42 PM
That table makes rather grim reading since it shows we've played more of the teams near the bottom than the rest and are still in the bottom ourselves...

ClaretTony2014
30-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Doesn't for me - the main problem we had last time was that we couldn't get enough points from the bottom teams. Wigan, Portsmouth, Blackburn, Wolves all took six points and the only one we got the better of was Hull and they also went down.

wherewasi
30-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Rovers finished 10th (joint with 9th on goal difference) and as near the Champions' League as relegation so not sure why they are in that argument.

But last time we didn't have just 1 point from our first 6 matches against teams who finished in the top half. We had 9.

I reckon we're a good half dozen points shy of where we'd need to be to look like getting 40 points. At the minute, the cutoff would be 33 so maybe there's hope but being realistic about who we've faced so far, we're short of where we should be. Taking just under 1.5 points per game off the teams round you and not even scoring a goal a game on average against those weaker clubs is not going to do anything if you want to stay up.

DiBranchio
30-11-2014, 08:03 PM
So if the cut off point is 33 and we are a third of the way through the season on 11 points... ...

wherewasi
30-11-2014, 08:10 PM
And yet, DiB, we're still in the bottom 3. But if you're happy saying something that completely fails to make sense... on you go...

oldcolner
30-11-2014, 09:08 PM
Interesting CT that 5 QPRs games were all at home and we have played a similar number of home games to the rest.
We still have Sam to come back too.

HatfieldClaret
30-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Spot on ClaretTont,

Last time in the EPL, We took points from Man Utd & Everton. Had we swapped those with wins against the likes of Wolves & West Ham the we would have stayed up.

Would have preferred a draw v West Brom than a draw v Man Utd.

QPR match is the classic 6 pointer.

HatfieldClaret
30-11-2014, 09:49 PM
Sorry Tont, rather, Tony

too much interference from messrs Hardy & Penrose...

LoveCurryPies
30-11-2014, 10:26 PM
We need to take a few scalps from higher up and not just rely on the lower teams. Newcastle would be a good start