P 9
W 2
D 4
L 3
Points 10 (1.1 per game)

The engine.

CardyTheClaret
30-11-2014, 11:03 AM
The stats don't surprise me. He looks some composed on the ball too this season.

mdd2
30-11-2014, 11:04 AM
OOC soon too, need to rebook him ASAP. If we stay up it will be in no small part due him and if we go down we need him to get us back if at all possible.

ClaretTony2014
30-11-2014, 11:08 AM
Look at last season

With

P 38
W 24
D 11
L 3

Pts per game 2.18

without

P 8
W 2
D 4
L 2

Pts per game 1.25

And the two teams we beat without him, Doncaster & Barnsley, were both relegated.

LifeOfRiley
30-11-2014, 01:19 PM
And a number of posters still have to comment when he gets a booking and even chalk a mark off his player ratings.

taio
30-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Without doubt one of our most important players and has been so for a long time. He was excellent in the first half yesterday.

Leyland_Claret
30-11-2014, 02:12 PM
His megs on Sanchez that led to foul against Dean was a joy to behold!:D

The Bedlington Terrier
30-11-2014, 02:45 PM
He must be rubbish! Brian Laws signed him!
Undeniably, Ross Wallace and Deano have both turned out pretty well for the fees we paid. Even Lawsy got some things right! Right?

SiClaret
30-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Uncomplicated, unfashionable, and does what it says on the tin. To think of the stick he got from some in his first season with us, I am sure most would now say his place in our midfield is a must if we are to challenge to stay in this division.
Would have been my man of the match versus Villa.

Cirrus_Minor
30-11-2014, 06:53 PM
I thought he was our best player yesterday. He does seem to have adapted to the premier league quicker than the rest.

As has been already said, he is the one who is missed the most when he out of the team.

claretspice
30-11-2014, 08:07 PM
Thought he was excellent in the first 30-odd minutes yesterday, but the stupid booking he earned himself really hampered his effectiveness from then on until he upped it again in the final few minutes.

We could have done with him being able to really put himself about in the second half when we struggled to put Villa under real pressure. And soon enough he's going to earn himself a suspension. Its something he needs to cut out of his game - because apart from that he's having a really decent season.

dallasclaret
01-12-2014, 03:23 AM
"And soon enough he's going to earn himself a suspension. Its something he needs to cut out of his game - because apart from that he's having a really decent season."

Players get booked for being within 5 yards of a player falling over in the modern game. Aguero got booked today for being hacked down for one of the most blatant pens you will ever see.

Combative central midfield players should expect a minimum of 10-15 bookings per season.

Marney needs to carry on playing his game and time his suspension for games away at places like Man City when we'll get nowt ;D

Jamb0MackemClaret
01-12-2014, 04:56 AM
Thought Marney played pretty well, but they did score from the needless free kick he gave away chasing a ball he was never going to reach.

TuftyBeamish
01-12-2014, 08:01 AM
I think it's a tad harsh having a go at him for us conceding from a free kick he gave them deep in their own half, but there you go.

As for Marney himself, well, some say we never replaced John Deary...

the_quoon
01-12-2014, 08:10 AM
the problem with marney's bookings, which is why many refer to them as 'stupid', is that you can see them coming a couple of seconds before he makes the challenge.

he has a tendency to chase balls at full pelt where its clear he isn't going to get there first, saturday's booking was a prime example.

he isn't going to change though and he's playing very well this season.

Alp12Mac
01-12-2014, 08:15 AM
Wasn't he re-signed on a vastly reduced contract along with Wallace?

Just shows his desire if I'm correct, a lot of modern day players would simply sulk.

NottsClaret
01-12-2014, 08:27 AM
Don't know if it's been said elsewhere but I thought Clark took Marney's tackle pretty well. Understandable he wasn't happy about it but he could have made a real meal of it, some players certainly would.

Seems harsh the amount of focus we put on the odd booking here and there, for the number of tackles he puts in and what they bring to the team he only seems to get one suspension a season.

And the fact we're fairly useless when he is unavailable isn't his fault.

spunkybackpack21
01-12-2014, 08:30 AM
Used to receive some absolute pelters from certain quarters on here, too. Fair play.

Quicknick
01-12-2014, 08:49 AM
I remember being delighted when Laws signed him.

Rileybobs
01-12-2014, 09:22 AM
If only McCann had a decent midfield partner.

The bookings can be frustrating but Marney leads by example and his tenacity sets the tempo for the rest of the side. If you took away the bite from his game you'd lose a huge part of his effectiveness. Just accept the inevitable suspension and look at what he brings to the side.

CarlesTheClaretPuyol
01-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Aside from the overuse of those long diagonal passes into the left channel (I assume he had specific instructions in that respect), he was outstanding on Saturday.

Composed in possession and kept us ticking.

claretspice
01-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Notts - I'm fairly sure he missed 3 games last season due to suspension.

Its all very well saying he leads by example and his tenacity sets an example to the rest of the side, and that taking his bite from away takes away from his effectiveness - but that's exactly the point: too often, he does that for himself because once he's got himself booked like Saturday he doesn't trust himself to make another tackle. He played the 35 - 85 minutes on Saturday with the handbrake on and it was only when we got to 1-1, they scented victory and the adrenalin kicked in that he released it and went for broke.

As Quoon says, the frustating thing is you can invariably see the booking coming a couple of seconds before he slides in late. He probably won't change now, but if he could just rein him back on those occasions when the whole ground can see what's coming next, we'd get mor of the Dean Marney who disrupted Villa's excellent midfield in the first half hour, and less of the meek and mild one wh

IanMcL
01-12-2014, 12:28 PM
I am sure that sometimes he is putting in a tackle on behalf of a fallen teammate. Clarke was dishing it out on Saturday. That was probably one for the lads.

claretspice
01-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Then that would be even more stupid Ian. This Premier League lark is hard enough without our players getting into trouble for taking retribution for no particular gain.

I think you're wrong by the way, Marney's not a nasty player, just occasionally daft.

Boliclaret
01-12-2014, 12:58 PM
I think he just committed for a tackle he was never going to get to, The reaction of the villa player might suggest retribution, but maybe not.

Blaming him for the goal from the resulting free kick (post 13) seems a tad harsh, 70 yards away with 11 behind the ball. Defence seemed to switch off tbf.

ClaretTony2014
01-12-2014, 01:01 PM
"but they did score from the needless free kick he gave away"

Not having that. The free kick was in the left back position and hoofed upfield by the goalkeeper and headed on by David Jones. I think we'd lost concentration over the incident to some extent but they certainly didn't score from the free kick.

NottsClaret
01-12-2014, 01:04 PM
They scored because Keane played Cole onside, not because Marney tackled someone 60 yards up the pitch a minute earlier.

solidsilver1862
01-12-2014, 02:00 PM
They scored because our players concentration was still in the cricket field half where the free kick had been given.George Boyd as to be our most improving player of the year as he slides into his Burnley role.A couple of goals and who knows he could be anything confidence and he will blossom

Jamb0MackemClaret
01-12-2014, 02:16 PM
There were mistakes elsewhere too but Marney's tackle conceded the free kick. We switched off from it, quite possibly due to Clark's angry reaction and the ensuing row, but if he doesn't give away that foul, they don't score that goal.

ColdPieWarmBeer
01-12-2014, 03:46 PM
Unintended consequence, perhaps, but I personally think apportioning blame to him for the goal is an unreasonable post-hoc analysis. How far back do you go in a game to apportion blame? Kick off? High pressure and getting in teams' faces is precisely why this team was promoted and conceding a few daft free kicks here and there is always going to be a part of football, let alone any high intensity style of play. We 'aint got the technical ability in the squad to run circles around the opposition or out-pass them so we have to make do with graft. Would have been ideal not not concede that (or any) foul, obviously, but you can't abandon that aggression for conceding a foul 80 yards from goal that happened to sort of lead to a sloppy goal that could have been defended better.

stateside
01-12-2014, 05:03 PM
Villa fan here. I think any question of blame on Marney can be offset by the two inadvertent clearances off the line earlier in the game.

In my match report I stated that Clark over reacted to the challenge and probably should have been carded also.

Here's the report although in a Villa bias I was as fair as I could be to my fellow clarets. - view external link (http://www.astonvilla-mad.co.uk/rprt/mtch/holy_creative_midfielder_847293/index.shtml)

claretspice
01-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Blaming Marney for the goal is frankly nonsense.

Jamb0MackemClaret
01-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Don't think I said or even implied the goal was solely Marney's fault, don't know why people are getting irate over stating a simple fact. We defended the free kick horribly, but there was no need to concede it in the first place. The aggression is a big part of his game, granted, but that was a typically avoidable Marney booking.

Tonyclaret1960
01-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Personally thought he was excellent the booking definately hampered him but I think we need to be aggressive if we are to compete which means Dean in particular will pick up a few bookings

jedi_master
02-12-2014, 06:08 AM
Such a strange case is Marney.

I was disappointed when we signed him, and I don't think I am being unkind when I say the majority of this messageboard was angry that Dyche re-signed him in the summer of 2013 - what a difference 18 months makes!

Without doubt THE most crucial player last season, we just could not cope without him. Me and my Dad have held a view since last summer that the reason his performances were nowhere near as effective prior to last season were down to one man - Chris McCann. As a two, they just never really worked, at all. Jones quality has allowed Deano to show the player he really is, and that IS a Premier League player. On his performances this season and last you would have to say it's a real surprise he hasn't spent more of his career at this level than 3-4 seasons.

Out of contract in the summer - despite being 30 I would get him tied down on a new two-three year deal ASAP.