PDA

View Full Version : If you have received your Charles Buchan book

davet
30-11-2014, 03:54 PM
If it nudges any memories, the 50s and 60s, games, players, boyhood, first games, getting the magazine, football as it used to be, matches with dad, if it takes you down memory lane... send them to me at. Write as much aS you want

beehive thomas at aol dot com

and I'll work them into a piece for CM

Meanwhile there are just 160 copies left so do get in touch if you want one.

ClaretTony2014
30-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Have to say the book has been beautifully put together - had an hour of nostalgia yesterday evening waiting for Match of the Day.

buxtonclaret
30-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Chuffed to bits with mine, Dave.
Will email you this week. B)

jdrobbo
30-11-2014, 05:38 PM
It looks a superb book Dave - congrats!

Alp12Mac
01-12-2014, 08:42 AM
I missed the 'modern' halcyon days as we didn't move back to Burnley until 1965 but the articles emphasise how well respected our little club was back then.

There are pictures and articles of my first heroes in abundance, Lochhead, Irvine, Morgan et al and it is just a superb trip back down memory lane.

Thanks for bringing this to us Dave.

Toby1
01-12-2014, 10:06 AM
I still have numerous original copies of the mags and remember tearing out the colour portraits of some of our players, have you got the one of Gordon Harris in your book Dave?

davet
01-12-2014, 11:06 AM
a colour Gordon Harris...no and also its missing a colour Steve Kindon that I only found after printing.

notnowbernard
01-12-2014, 02:10 PM
bump...because this book deserves it

One issue Dave, can I send you back he copy of the Daily Mail you used to protect mine?? ;D

davet
01-12-2014, 05:09 PM
ha ha I do buy the Daily Mail on Saturday cos i like the telly guide... and on a weekday if there is a Burnley piece in it... and on a Monday for the footie section...

claretblue
01-12-2014, 05:39 PM
that leaves just Friday without the Mail Dave! :D

will you be wearing a Claret flower in the car park tomorrow night for recognition? :)

FCBurnley
01-12-2014, 06:08 PM
Mine is winging its way across the Atlantic as we speak. Read your bits on Jimmy Robson today with great interest. Will email you with some good stuff about him when the book arrives. Cant wait.

davet
01-12-2014, 06:23 PM
I shall be standing by the cash register, gently humming kerching, kerching

buxtonclaret
01-12-2014, 07:09 PM
..shall be standing by the cash register, gently humming kerching, kerching...
XD XD

With the obscene millions Agents make from the game these days, Dave, l dont begrudge you any of it for the slice of 'propper footy' days your compilation takes us back to.

Spend it wisely though!
Put it towards your next ST
:)

1959_60
01-12-2014, 07:42 PM
Magnificent book. I bought it for my 86 year old Dad for Christmas - then he would pass it on to me.

Last week I couldn't wait and devoured it.

The years really rolled back to when I was a 9 year old and Irvine, Morgan, Lochhead...ALL of them were my heroes.

And the funny thing is that I felt exactly as proud reading about that team last week as I did 50 years and more ago.

No question, the action shots in those days knock spots off today's - you can feel the atmosphere looking at them. And what a stadium Turf Moor was...it was my second home.

My Dad will love it too.

I can recommend it not only to the older fans but to the younger ones. It is a great way to get the feel of how things were in that unforgettable part of our proud clubs history.

I don't know how you can follow that Dave but I'm sure you will think of something :)

davet
01-12-2014, 08:14 PM
59/60 please email me a few (hundred) words on footie as you remember it then and Turf Moor being a 9 year old and growing up and heroes etc etc

would really appreciate that
beehive thomas at aol dot com

1959_60
01-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Just emailed you Dave.

davet
02-12-2014, 07:50 AM
and received... super stuff 59.

KeighleyClaret
02-12-2014, 03:54 PM
I'll collect mine tonight Dave.

KC

CleggHall
12-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Just received my copy.

Brings back the memories of the beehole end bogs at half time, woodbines and park drive cigarettes, the kids enclosure afront the longside, green painted railings, the halftime scoreboards, traffic jams on Brunshaw Rd etc.

But more importantly the greatest team to grace Turf Moor, it's1959-60 once again! In a black and white world, Charles Buchan painted it claret and blue.

Thanks to him and Dave Thomas.

For older Clarets get your Xmas present here if there are any left.

Peter_Nobles_Wig
12-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Thank you for such an excellent evening DT. So wonderful to meet such legends as Jimmy Robson, Trevor Meredith, Andy Lochhead, Ian Britton, Alex Elder, Colin Waldron, Frank Casper, Steve Kindon, Ian Brennan, Jim Thomson and Mick Docherty. (Sorry if I missed anyone out).

I am always filled with a kind of pride that so many former players still associate themselves so closely with the Club and are genuine supporters too!

Thank you to my very good friend, Joe. DT's book is a fantastic, early Christmas present. I've read it twice already so I need that Toblerone too ;D

davet
12-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Twas a pleasure to organise it and thanks for the responses to the request for memories of the Buchan days... had so many it'll be an age before I get to put them into something coherent.

There are just 100 copies left out of the print-run of 700

Alex Elder looks fit enough to step straight into the team on Saturday. Trevor meredith has hardly changed.

ClaretTony2014
12-12-2014, 04:56 PM
"o wonderful to meet such legends as Jimmy Robson, Trevor Meredith, Andy Lochhead, Ian Britton, Alex Elder, Colin Waldron, Frank Casper, Steve Kindon, Ian Brennan, Jim Thomson and Mick Docherty."

Sorry, but Colin Waldron has reliably informed me that Jim Thomson is definitely not a legend. I won't say what Thomson said about Waldron. :D

Peter_Nobles_Wig
12-12-2014, 05:02 PM
"Trevor Meredith has hardly changed"

He certainly hasn't grown much ;D

"Colin Waldron has reliably informed me that Jim Thomson is definitely not a legend. I won't say what Thomson said about Waldron"

There was certainly some healthy banter going on betwixt Skippy, Frank, Jim, Colin, Ian and Mick on that table.

ClaretTony2014
12-12-2014, 05:17 PM
"There was certainly some healthy banter going on betwixt Skippy, Frank, Jim, Colin, Ian and Mick on that table."

Don't get involved in it, they'll have you taking sides. And it is worse when wind up merchant Fletch joins them. :D

Seriously though, that group of players are brilliant. They'll go out of their way to help you with things if they can.

And who said Elder looked fit enough to play? I'm told he'll be doing exactly that tomorrow. :D One of my real childhood heroes was Elder.