PDA

View Full Version : Southampton preparing January transfer raid on Burnley...

Myk
01-12-2014, 06:53 AM
...for striker Danny Ings.

Must be almost Janury transfer window time again.

-------------------

Southampton boss Ronald Koeman is lining up a January raid for Burnley striker Danny Ings.

The Saints enquired about Ings, 22, in the summer but newly-promoted Burnley refused to listen to offers for their prize asset.

England Under-21 hit-man Ings, who has scored four goals in his last five games, is out of contract next summer and yet to sign a new deal.

Hampshire-born Ings started his career at Saints before being released as a schoolboy.

Koeman wants a new front-man to ease the burden on Italian summer signing Graziano Pelle with doubts over the future of England international Jay Rodriguez following last season's major knee injury. - view external link (http://tinyurl.com/lm2ejss)

mgill87
01-12-2014, 07:08 AM
I'd be really annoyed if we sold Ings in January. With him fit and playing well, we have a chance of staying up. Unless we get a very generous offer and invest the return in another striker then we may as well take our chances with him running out of contract at the end of the season. After all, the money from staying in the Premier League would be much, much greater than the transfer fee we may receive for him.

claretblue
01-12-2014, 07:21 AM
keep him...

or straight swap for Jay! ;D

Imploding Turtle
01-12-2014, 07:32 AM
Jay has a career threatening injury so I'm sure the Saints would be delighted with such a swap.

fatboy47
01-12-2014, 07:49 AM
""Jay has a career threatening injury so I'm sure the Saints would be delighted with such a swap""

Not sure Jay would be quite as "delighted".

jojomk1
01-12-2014, 09:21 AM
It would be really difficult for the Board to turn down a decent offer for Ings in January
If the likes of Southampton, maybe Liverpool and even surprise, surprise QPR began to show enough interest to push the price up to around 10m then they may be tempted

clareturion
01-12-2014, 09:27 AM
Let Ings go in January and its hoisting the white flag on our survival hopes.

The Bedlington Terrier
01-12-2014, 09:32 AM
Does anybody on here really believe that SD is daft?
He knows already whether Danny is staying or going.
Contingency plans for either event will be already in place.
One thing is for certain, there will be no white flag raised from Sean Dyche!

Toby1
01-12-2014, 09:33 AM
It's all supposition/rumour at the mo, so relax all :)

evensteadiereddie
01-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Claret 13552 has it just about right, the club will know now that Ings is already going to Liverpool, Everton or whoever or, assuming a decent chance of survival, he will be staying (and helping) to keep us up.
If a deal has already been done, you can bet your boots an addition to the strike force will be lined up pretty sharpish.

blueheeler1
01-12-2014, 10:23 AM
Can't see an advantage for Danny other than a few extra quid in the bank.

Southampton having a great start to the season but not a second placed team at the end of the season IMO.

Danny would get no greater International quodos playing for any other team than us and with a greater chance of sitting on the bench for the top teams in the Prem.

If you go Dan, go with great caution--

topcat69
01-12-2014, 10:43 AM
He has to stay until the Summer whether he wants to go or not.
We will not get anyone to fit the "framework" quickly enough.
If he carries on the form he is now, we have a real chance of staying up and he gets a better choice of Club.

ClaretTony2014
01-12-2014, 10:45 AM
"The Saints enquired about Ings, 22, in the summer but newly-promoted Burnley refused to listen to offers for their prize asset."

I don't know how much there is in this story but given it's in more than one newspaper I suspect his agent is now actively looking for a new club for him.

However, my info is that they did not make an enquiry in the summer.

claretspice
01-12-2014, 11:00 AM
I suspect that the only deal we'd be looking to do in January is a sale with a loan back until the end of the season. I can't see us selling him outright unless we have a catastrophic run between now and the end of Jan and are all but relegated, and Danny seems media-savvy enough not to agitate for a move pubicly.

That sort of deal could have advantages all round. Danny's performances in recent weeks will make him a sought after property, and so a buyer from the top half of the league might be willing to take a long view of their acquistion and consider loaning him back a price worth paying to get their man ahead of a free-for-all next summer, particularly at the sort of price you'd expect to apply to a kid who is out of contract next summer (a tribunal being unlikely to give us a sum reflective of his true value). It guarantees Danny his big move without the risk he gets injured in the second half of the season, and allows him to 'keep his bargain' with Burnley. And it gets the club

Eddie_M
01-12-2014, 11:13 AM
'Contingency plans for either event will be already in place.'

'If a deal has already been done, you can bet your boots an addition to the strike force will be lined up pretty sharpish. '

That's blind faith for you :D

enola_gay
01-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Given that we failed to land any of our main targets in the summer when we had three months to get them in, I'd love to know where the confidence comes from that we'd quickly and properly replace Ings were he to go in January.

claretspice
01-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Agreed. I'd love to think that contingencies for Danny leaving are just ready to be actioned, but I rather suspect that the same explanations that were in play in the summer will get an airing come the end of Jan in what I still think is the unlikely event Danny does depart in January.

Even if he does stay until the summer, we ought to be looking for Ings' long term replacement this January, just as we should have been last summer.

JohnMcGreal
01-12-2014, 11:32 AM
We will most likely have started drawing up a list of targets once it became clear that Ings wasn't going to sign a new deal.

Whether we actually manage to bring those targets in is another matter.

It would be pointless selling him in January anyway. If we are to have any chance at all of staying up, it's with Danny Ings fit and firing.

We will eclipse the Brian Laws appointment if we sell him in January.

herts_clarets
01-12-2014, 11:39 AM
Hopefully if he does go, targets are identified and it is down to our arch negotiator to ensure those targets are recruited. Just as he did in the summer...

evensteadiereddie
01-12-2014, 11:49 AM
And, again, I hope, the same sensible constraints will apply.
Of the summer signings, I'm excluding Taylor, only Reid has failed to deliver.
I notice Deeney, you know "The Ten Million Pound Wonder Boy" that would have been such a fabulous addition to our squad, according to some on here, isn't exactly banging them in..
Trust in Dyche, you know you want to.

distortiondave
01-12-2014, 12:13 PM
'Danny seems media-savvy enough not to agitate for a move pubicly.'

Fnarr.

I know, I'm a child.

FCBurnley
01-12-2014, 12:30 PM
The key to this story is does Ings want to go or stay. If he wants to stay then offer him a good 3/4 year deal with a buy out clause. If, as I suspect he wants away, then get him sold in January and buy the best replacement we can get. It would be a shame if Vokes and Ings had played their last Burnley game together. I am sure Ings and the club will already know what is going to happen.

IanMcL
01-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Unless we get a huge fee...which we won't, it is probably worth losing the few million, just get some goals when Vokes returns. Another season in the prem...worth the odd pennies on an expired contract.

Perhaps he is just doing a Bryson et al and getting some sums for the Burnley board to consider in the new contract.

randomclaret2
01-12-2014, 12:42 PM
' Sam Vokes coming back is like a new signing'

Bin_Ont_Turf
01-12-2014, 12:50 PM
We've always struggled to find forwards haven't we?

Still waiting for Austin's replacement, oh hang on a minute...

Jamb0MackemClaret
01-12-2014, 02:24 PM
"Given that we failed to land any of our main targets in the summer when we had three months to get them in, I'd love to know where the confidence comes from that we'd quickly and properly replace Ings were he to go in January."

Ings' replacement should have been bought in the summer. But there's probably no point going over that old ground again.

I agree there's no point selling him in January, especially now he's in form. The sell and loan him back option might be the least bad option as there are only going to be more of these types of stories the more goals he scores and the closer we get to the end of his contract.

The Bedlington Terrier
01-12-2014, 02:33 PM
The one asset of Sean Dyche's (among many others I like) that impresses me the most is his ability to learn quickly. He knows we dropped a clanger in the summer by prevaricating over targets. He will not be repeating that mistake and I am totally confident that whatever Danny decides, one way or the other SD has it covered!

LoveCurryPies
01-12-2014, 02:40 PM
"He (Dyche) knows we dropped a clanger in the summer by prevaricating over targets..."

Prevaricating? Really?

It's one thing failing to sign target players and another to say the Club was prevaricating. Talks fall through for many reasons...usually wages or transfer fees, but sometimes unexpected things like the players missus doesn't want to live in the North. Or because we are expected to be demoted at the end of the year or maybe they got a better offer.

dy1geo
01-12-2014, 02:44 PM
If he picks up a an "injury" just before 3rd round of FA CUP I think we know the answer that he is on his way.

VinRogue
01-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Can we offer Ings 30k a week+? If the answer is No then he will go.

If he stays until the summer and we stay up because of his goals we will get the 60 Million extra that another year brings plus the tribunal fee of say 6 Million.

If he stays and we get relegated we get the parachute payments plus the tribunal fee and are safe in the knowledge we tried.

I would love to see him called up into the full England squad as it would push up his tribunal fee.

In an ideal Fantasy World I would want him to stay, sign a contract extension and be happy on 20k a week, somehow it doesn't fit with what I think will happen!

lowbankclaret
01-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Ings has to go in Jan, unfortunate as that is we have to move on.
He is not signing a new contract, so have to sell or three tenths of half of **** all for him.
Shame, just the way it is

bobinho
01-12-2014, 08:26 PM
"push the price up to around 10m then they may be tempted"

Our board would sell Danny long before the bidding reached the number 10 I'm afraid. They'd be tempted at 6 but they'd sell at 7 imo.

One thing is certain. This is Dannys last season with us. As OUR player anyway...

Claret_Dave84
01-12-2014, 08:38 PM
Surely the board wouldnt be stupid to sell ings in jan? He literally is the difference between survival and relegation. Selling would be criminal.

claretbucky1978
01-12-2014, 09:18 PM
Have they paid for Jay yet

bfcmik
01-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Do people really still believe that a club - ANY CLUB - has the power to decide whether a player they want to keep stays or goes?

If the player decides he doesn't want to sign a new contract but that he wants to stay then, especially if he is your leading goalscorer and you have just been promoted, he gets to stay and the money you save on his wages makes up for some of the transfer fee you miss out on.

I'm sure the club, SD and every supporter he has talked to have pressed him to sign a new deal but he has held out. Whether he is holding out to see where we end up at the end of the season or is waiting for a huge payday when he signs somewhere as a free agent none of us know. Many are quick to blame the board but no one is truly aware of the value of any offers that were put to him nor how open Danny or his agent were to negotiation.

Akinbadbye_20
01-12-2014, 09:44 PM
Selling would be mental for any amount of money. A club like ours can't just go out and buy a player like Ings. He would be worth about 15-20 million and want big wages.

We have to sign players who can develop to this level but thats not good enough in January we would need a replacement who can pretty much carry the team straight away.

Too big a risk to sell at any price and I don't think he would mind that knowing he is leaving in the summer anyway

dsr
01-12-2014, 09:45 PM
I think that's the point, claret-dave (post 33). There are plenty of people who look at the Board's record of NOT selling striker in the January window, and of twice getting a small town team like Burnley into the Premier League, and conclude from that evidence that the Board are useless incompetents who sell players at the first decent offer.

For me, I don't think the evidence supports that view. I think Burnley are in a pretty good position. But plenty of others are adamant that we're underachieving and a better Board of Directors would have us in a position much more suited to our status.

oldcolner
01-12-2014, 11:43 PM
Pardew says he is watching Danny in the Daily Mail
Sunday star? cited that Stoke also keen and apparently Sociedad as David Mayes was represented at the Burnley game to see Charlie Adam. - view external link (www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Stoke-City-transfer-gossip-Charlie-Adam-Danny/story-24905481-detail/story.html)

tybfc
02-12-2014, 12:58 AM
Just a wild guess but I reckon if we stay in the PL Danny Ings will stay with us.

cubanclaret
02-12-2014, 08:38 AM
I don't think the importance of keeping Danny at Burnley until the end of the season can be overstated. For once, we don't need to sell in January and it would surprise me if Danny or his agent were itching for a move in January.

There's been a lot of media talk of this South American 'street-fighter' type player and Ings - while not quite an Aguero or Suarez - at least is a player in that mould. He's shown in his last two or three games that he can be a force in the Premier League. Now he's in the groove if he can stay injury-free there's no reason he can't score 15 - 20 league goals this season. He's the X Factor star in our team and you only need to look at our results when he was missing to see it.

Newcastleclaret1993
02-12-2014, 09:45 AM
update it is now Newcastle who are heading the charge for his signature

beddie
02-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Well let's hope he puts three past them tonight and is the best player on the pitch, that should put the price up to 15 Million :D

Claret4ver
02-12-2014, 01:29 PM
I know we are heading into the silly season. But 3 million which is being touted in some papers today is frankly laughable. Why would anyone at Turf Moor entertain that risible figure when he'd be worth half of that - at least - in June. It's surely just lazy reporting.

oldcolner
02-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Mirror says Danny Ings is being courted by Newcastle in a cut price deal.

The England U21 star is out of contract in June and available for around 3 million in compensation, with the Geordies topping the list of interested clubs.

Ings is free to strike a pre-contract agreement next month, and Newcastle are ready to force the issue and strengthen their forward line.

If that happens he will stay to summer, but others may wish to bid higher to get him earlier :(