PDA

View Full Version : Andy Gray scores his last Burnley goals

ClaretTony2014
01-12-2014, 08:57 AM
For whatever reason we haven't played too many league games on 1st December in recent years and the last one proved to be another superb away day under new manager Owen Coyle in 2007.

Having kicked off with a 0-0 home draw against Stoke, we went to league leaders Watford and won and now it was a trip to face third place Charlton, our first league visit to the Valley in over 13 years.

If Watford was good then, for at least the first half hour, this was even better. Incredibly we were 2-0 in front inside the first 13 minutes through Andy Gray and Chris McCann, both heading home Robbie Blake free kicks.

The lead could have been even more but then the game changed. Andy Reid pulled one back around ten minutes before half time against the run of play and with only a one goal deficit at half time, and some choice words from manager Alan Pardew, they came out a different side.

This was when Gabor Kiraly stepped in to help. As Charlton piled on the pressure, our Hungarian goalkeeper kept e

Quicknick
01-12-2014, 09:20 AM
I was at the Charlton game. The early Coyle hysteria is funny to look back on the way things panned out. Fantastic backing by the Burnley fans that day, though. Charlton always was one of my favourite away days. Good away pub and a nice ground. I used to live in east London and the Charlton/Sydenham/Crystal Palace areas were always a good night out. Some great pubs.

ClaretTony2014
01-12-2014, 09:31 AM
I like Charlton, but always wonder how much of that is the fact it's over 30 years since I saw us lose a league game there.

BigFrankieB
01-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Thanks for yet another fine record of our past games. Always a good read but did you really mean Ray Pointer scored against Nottingham Forest in 1926?
(I presumed it was a typo and meant to be 1966)

ClaretTony2014
01-12-2014, 10:42 AM
"but did you really mean Ray Pointer scored against Nottingham Forest in 1926?
(I presumed it was a typo and meant to be 1966)"

I got the numbers correct BigFrankieB - but not necessarily in the correct order. It should have been 1962 and I've corrected it. :D :D

Quicknick
01-12-2014, 10:51 AM
I saw us lose a League Cup game there 1-0 in 1995-96. If you walk up the hill from the Valley to the top, it's really nice. Crystal Palace is a better drinking town, though.