PDA

View Full Version : Cricket: potential Lancs & Central Lancs Leagues merger

ClaretTony2014
01-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Just found this link from a Rochdale site about the two leagues discussing a potential merger.

A good number of local cricket fans on here. Wonder what they think about it. - view external link (http://goo.gl/1FPO1z)

oldcolner
01-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Nothing wrong with talking, but the devil will be in the detail. What is the pyramid system, could it lead to two divisions and how will that happen? Could some clubs fold or have to merge. From memory clubs now having to pay more tax than they did.

FCBurnley
01-12-2014, 12:31 PM
The Lancashire Premier League sounds good to me.

ClaretTony2014
01-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Lancs League not involved in any Premier League, that ship sailed a few years ago.

ClaretTony2014
01-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Interestingly, I was talking to someone recently who had been to a Lancs League game last season. The attendance he said was less than 30. I don't know what the answer is but one needs to be found.

TrueClaretandBlue
01-12-2014, 12:41 PM
Hope this dies in the water like the 'Inter League Cup' did some years ago.
Not for me thanks...cant work, wont work.

ClaretTony2014
01-12-2014, 12:43 PM
That cup proved to be a waste of space. I thought it might just have worked on novelty value alone, getting games against different clubs.

DavetheVicar
01-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Promotion and relegation would,imo,attract more interest and maybe improve the standard of cricket.
According to The Bolton News the Bolton League and Bolton Association are being encouraged to amalgamate with as many as 10 other Manchester based Leagues in a Pyramid System and meetings have been held.
The Lancashire Cricket Board appear to be behind these ideas as they think it will improve standards and find more good cricketers for the County Team.

ClaretTony2014
01-12-2014, 12:47 PM
"According to The Bolton News the Bolton League and Bolton Association are being encouraged to amalgamated with as many as 10 other Manchester based Leagues in a Pyramid System and meetings have been held."

Those are the meetings referred to at the link Rev

TrueClaretandBlue
01-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Tony,
Seemed to get the same club every year in the First Round. At Haslingden it was Radcliffe...
Never of the opinion it was here for the long haul, playing Bank Holidays never helped either.
Not sure what a merger will offer ???

ClaretTony2014
01-12-2014, 12:50 PM
I think I went to one of the games and if memory serves that was played on a Monday. For the life of me I can't think who the team was from the CLL - Norden maybe.

I don't think there was any real commitment to it and I have to say I'm with you on a merger idea although clearly something has to change.

claretspice
01-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Think pyramid cricket works really well in Cheshire and I suspect its to the detriment of the Lancashire league that it didn't go down that route.

The world has changed and whilst cricket is still a very popular sport, folk have that many other options with their leisure time that many local clubs are never going to get the numbers through the gate that once sustained them. The talent pool is probably a bit smaller too, given those other options available to people.

Pyramids make sense by creating a more competitive structure, and eventually, you'll end up with a top division or even two which is off a really high standard, to which everyone can aspire if they get it right on and off the pitch.

DavetheVicar
01-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Sorry,Tony..,read the link but missed the line 're Pyramid System.

TrueClaretandBlue
01-12-2014, 01:03 PM
Yes something needs to be done, not sure merging with another league is the answer.
I am all for innovation, changing the rules to make it a more exciting product. The Executive, for me, need a more vibrant approach to rule changes. The main reason for dwindling attendances however is the standard of professionals, we'll never get back to the heady days of the 'big' era...

ClaretTony2014
01-12-2014, 01:05 PM
You are very right on the professionals. When I think back to my early days of watching cricket we had some of the best players in the world playing Lancs League cricket. That just won't ever happen again unfortunately.

I don't think relaxing licencing hours helped either. People used to go to the cricket because the pubs had closed. I know they weren't necessarily there to watch the cricket but at least they were putting money into the clubs.

bobcloth1
01-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Chatting to someone involved with a Lancs a League club at the weekend, one of the issues he thinks they'll have is the greater distances to travel to games, he doesn't think some will want to do it.
Also said the big problem a lot of clubs have is there is too much cricket being played, sometimes, Friday night, Saturday and Sunday which players cannot commit to.

maccclaret
01-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Not sure league has been a complete success in Cheshire. Maybe at the top level, but down the leagues it is proving difficult for youngsters to get a game because teams are scared of relegation, so you end up with the 50+ year old club stalwart bowling all afternoon whilst young lads kick the boundary rope and find themselves at 11 on the scorecard.

CleggHall
01-12-2014, 01:17 PM
The merger talks of the CLL and Lancs league seem to come up every few years but I can't ever see it happening. Travel time and costs are still major considerations for what are essentially amateur sportsmen. Historically I guess the Lancs League was the stronger one and I speak as a Littleboro/ Todmorden cricket lover brought up on the boundaries of both leagues. Quality has probably declined in both leagues since the glorious 1960s and 70s and I understand that the Liverpool league is now possibly the best in Lancashire. Whatever happens, league cricket is a great experience for players, spectators and ale-swillers, long may it continue. :D

Quickenthetempo
01-12-2014, 01:42 PM
I'm a little surprised the Lancs league have entered talks but if they didn't they would run out of options with the CLL sure to enter the Manchester pyramid structure.

The Counties think there is far too many clubs diluting talent so are desperate for pyramid league cricket.

It's working very well in Yorkshire as well.

The Lancs league has had a bit of surge in recent seasons mainly with Lowerhouse upping the standard but before that The Northern league and Liverpool Comp had dwarfed it.

The Northern league is suffering a little now with the travelling times which is a big factor. The Liverpool comp is a open paid league so it will always attract the best players.

The two tier Ribb league worked well but it has took a lot of organising and politics to get to this stage. It is very hard for leagues to expand with quality clubs as all leagues want them. But every club had something to play for coming into the last couple of games.

maldini_
02-12-2014, 07:34 AM
Having played for many years in the bolton association, this year with many teams joining they have all played each other once and now they will be split into two leagues . With promotion and relegation .
The standard now is pretty pish as is the Bolton league particularly at 2nd x1, however I watch westhoughton c.c as near my home and they are attracting over 100 fans .New ground paid for by Sainsbury who bought their old plot so it is an impressive set up

Dressinggown
02-12-2014, 11:01 PM
I believe that there is ongoing discussion regarding the possible expansion of the Lancashire League to create a two division league.

Additional clubs will be required & I understand that certain clubs have expressed an interest. Blackpool CC from the Northern Premier League, Clitheroe CC and Great Harwood CC from the Ribblesdale League have been mentioned.

It is anticipated that fundamental changes to the format of the league will take place with a greater emphasis on the 20 over game which will become part of the league season rather than being a stand alone cup competition.

I'm fortunate that I support Lowerhouse CC, a club who do have a good following both at home and away but I can imagine that there will be certain games at certain times involving certain clubs where the 'crowd' will be less than the number of players in the game.

feej72
02-12-2014, 11:27 PM
The issue now is that some clubs have grasped how to develop whereas others have devolved. This has caused mismatches and forgone conclusions which makes the game dull for all involved.

It is not just a Lancs League thing,

Westhoughton, in a way are a fortunate club with their previous location. How many cricket grounds do Sainsbury's want to buy and relocate? 10 years ago they were on their knees resorting to all sorts of tactics to win games at 2nd team level.

Bolton League 2nd XI cricket standard is **** poor yet there are 2-3 teams who would be competitive in a different division instead of playing against teams with 8-9 men.

Change is needed.