PDA

View Full Version : Hark Now Hear The Burnley Sing The Geordies Ran Away

billyhamilton82
02-12-2014, 07:28 AM
I think that's how it went.

Haven't sung it for a while.

Was this just legend or did it actually happen?

I remember I was ten in 1979 and I heard so many wild stories at school I presume something happened but wildly exaggerated in some instances.

The most plausible explanation I have was that the Newcastle fans charged the Burnley fans outside the away end but due to the bottleneck Burnley fans were unable to move and had to stand their ground and the Geordies then turned and ran.

Anyone else know about this particular part of folklore?

Will we be singing it tonight?

ptangyangkipperbang
02-12-2014, 09:01 AM
Probably one of the best games I have ever been on great atmosphere atrocious weather seemed like 16000 people huddled together in the longside with not one person in the beehole end and a 3-2 victory.But blow the myth away all clubs at that time sang Hark Now Here about who they played on boxing day usually their closest rivals and in reality would thousands of Geordies really run away?in my experience of Newcastle games they had one of the most fanatical and sometimes ferocious fans anyone remember the 83 game?

ClaretTony2014
02-12-2014, 09:10 AM
"Was this just legend or did it actually happen?"

Legend I think

garfunkal
02-12-2014, 09:42 AM
A friend of my older brother used to go on about this saying it happened in the sixties , I'm not sure if it was home or away , did we ever play Newcastle on Boxing Day in the sixties ?

ClaretTony2014
02-12-2014, 10:06 AM
It comes from the Boxing Day 1979 game against them

Quicknick
02-12-2014, 10:29 AM
It doesn't.

It started up following the match in 1974 (not sure if it was 73-74 or 74-75). Newcastle fans waltzed round from the Beehole End to join the mass ranks on the other side of the Longside fence (for a season there was an open gate on the fence with coppers on it) and were set upon and given something of a hiding by Burnley fans. The Newcastle fans on the other side of the fence certainly did not run away.

However, they did in the late 60s. I can't remember the actual season, but I do remember that the Geordies won 1-0 with a Wyn Davis goal. I was heading to the Longside entrances down past the cricket field. No fence in those days, so the Longside was up for grabs. As I tried to get into the ground, dozens of Geordies were trying to get out with Burnley after them. During the actual match, Burnley charged them successfully on at least two occasions. I should add that I think the away support outnumbered the Burnley fans slightly.

Yep, the Geordies did run away.

Quicknick
02-12-2014, 10:40 AM
I should add that a real highlight for me was a female Newcastle fan in a red coat, I think, being ejected for fighting. It took about four coppers to get her out. Real brassy piece, she was.

claretgimmer
02-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Yes it did happen, as we walked along Brunshaw road towards Yorkshire st we were passed by about a hundred or so geordies heading for the beehole end giving it large about `geordie aggro` we then heard a roar and within a minutes those same geordies were legging it in the opposite direction back past us followed by a large group of clarets, very keystone cops for the older members of the board, but yes it did happen if that is what the song is all about.

garfunkal
02-12-2014, 01:51 PM
So it did happen in the sixties and wasn't referring to the 79 Boxing Day game .

Leics_Claret
02-12-2014, 02:18 PM
I was in the beehole end for the Boxing Day game in '79. I got soaked and was ill for the next few days. Brilliant game though.

claretgimmer
02-12-2014, 02:27 PM
It was in 1979 that I was referring to

Boliclaret
02-12-2014, 02:40 PM
ptangyangkipperbang, I remember the 83 game. I was in the Cricket Field stand, loads of Geordies and part time supporters were there due to Keegan playing.

John 'Budgie" Burridge was taking autograph books into the dressing room to make sure all the kids got Keegans autograph. Keegan simply couldn't keep up with the demand. Burridge and Keegan were absolute gents that day.

Terry Donavan scored the winner in a 1-0 win and I was surprised to discover on CM recently that he retired from football when he was only about 26.

garfunkal
02-12-2014, 03:16 PM
What ever it refers too, we still need payback for the 74 semi-final .

HatfieldClaret
02-12-2014, 10:22 PM
claretgimmer, what year was that ?

A tad embarrassing in the early 70's when the Newcastle team coach got bricked after the game. I think John Tudor was sat next to the window that was smashed.

DarkCloud
02-12-2014, 10:27 PM
The Newcastle team coach did have a brick thrown through the window at the traffic lights in Brierfield after the match in the 70s. John Tudor was quite badly hurt and MacDonald chased the culprits apparently, but they got away. (So rather faster than Jim Thomson then!)

barracuda
02-12-2014, 11:36 PM
If only Norman was around we could get clarification on this matter

Great song and part of our history... certainly part of The Longside rhetoric. And The Longside rhetoric is very very important for many many people... you Bob Lorder blanket and a flask types can be aloof of it all you want... but it is there and it will not go away

The magnificence of The Longside should not be dismissed for reasons of propriety

barracuda
03-12-2014, 12:05 AM
One of my fondest memories in life is sitting in the Bob Lord around 11 yrs old and watching Billy turn on the last man (center circle) and wade through (mud?) to slot one home... and seeing the sheer power of The Longside celebrate as we secured promotion or close to that. A sight I will never ever forget.

Hark now hear The Burnley sing... The Geordies Ran Away... :)

Quicknick
03-12-2014, 04:11 AM
Emotive stuff, barracuda.