PDA

View Full Version : McDonald goals beat Arsenal

ClaretTony2014
02-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Six years ago tonight, in horrendous weather conditions, Burnley reached the semi-finals of the League Cup for the fourth time in the club's history.

Over 19,000 turned up at the Turf to see Kevin McDonald, who days earlier had scored his first Burnley goal, grab both in a 2-0 win. It was a sensational night. He scored early in each half but there was another hero at the other end of the pitch in Brian Jensen.

Some will say it was the goalkeeper's finest performance for Burnley; I'd say his second best behind the one against Reading just a few weeks previously. I lost the count of the number of times he came out on top in one-on-one situations.

That Arsenal team included such as Kieran Gibbs, Jack Wilshire and Aaron Ramsey, but they had no answer to the Clarets on a wonderful night for us.

Four years later and it was a different hero. This time it was Sam Vokes who came on as a substitute to head home the equaliser and ensure a point against our rivals Blackburn. He came on with le

notnowbernard
02-12-2014, 10:52 AM
"I lost the count of the number of times he came out on top in one-on-one situations"..I assume Bendtner was playing then XD

I distinctly remember Wenger's post match interview and he blamed the weather, the ref, the pitch and a couple of other things, not once did he pay credit to Burnley. That may not surprise most but at the time I was gobsmacked how graceless he was. Much wiser these days

claretblue
02-12-2014, 11:01 AM
"I lost the count of the number of times he came out on top in one-on-one situations"

he's refering to the Reading game (I think) where Brian did just that over half a dozen times - saved the day

...and we nicked it (robbed 'em ;D ) with a Robbie breakaway effort! :star:

ClaretTony2014
02-12-2014, 12:26 PM
"he's refering to the Reading game (I think) where Brian did just that over half a dozen times - saved the day"

I'm not - it was the Arsenal game. I thought the Reading game was his best for us with Arsenal not far behind, but he made so many 1-on-1 saves in the cup tie it was incredible.

CarlesTheClaretPuyol
02-12-2014, 12:47 PM
6 years ago today I was wandering around Sihanoukville, Cambodia in a Burnley shirt at 3am trying to find a bar/hostel showing the Arsenal game.

When I did, I was joined by a paraletic Irishman who despite being half asleep insisted I was watching a replay of an old cup tie as "there's no way you lot are beating Arsenal".

Boliclaret
02-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Brilliant atmos that night in the bottom tier around the half way line. Loads of laughs, singing and smiling faces. That daft chavy woman who always used to scream abuse at Wade Elliot grabbed me at the final whistle and gave me a snog.

Took me ages to get rid of the taste of lager and chicken Balti but its a small price to pay for reaching the last four. :s