PDA

View Full Version : o/t Sound Bars Info please.

beddie
02-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Just wondered if anyone could recommend these. I have struggled of late to hear the tv. I have become slightly deaf (getting old)and someone recommended a Sound Bar. To be honest I know nothing about them although I have just looked them up on the web, there appears to be so many models. Your comments much appreciated.

Martin_Bell
02-12-2014, 10:02 AM
I bought this one about a year and half ago from Richer Sounds. It has very good reviews and is now very reasonably priced.

If you are able to, I would go to Richer Sounds, they will give you some excellent advice on what to get. - view external link (http://www.richersounds.com/product/soundbars/yamaha/yas101/yama-yas101)

beddie
02-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Thanks Martin, it reads really well. I will take your advice and find a Richer Sounds shop.
Thanks again. Joe

charlieinkentucky
02-12-2014, 10:14 AM
If you're like me and it's detecting the actual clarity of speech on programs you have a problem with (so you have to turn it up to counterbalance) then I haven't found they help. They just make the speech louder, and turning a good modern day TV up to a 100 is plenty loud enough as it is. Years of going to see bands and suchlike have taken the edge off my hearing so it can't decipher speech with quite the accuracy it once had.

If it's because you generally are hearing EVERYTHING quieter, then they do work, because a good one will make a war movie sound like your house is getting attacked it's that loud.

This is also one of those buys where you get what you pay for. Like a lot of audio purchases, off brands tend to be tinny and hardly better than your TV itself

Firthy
02-12-2014, 10:20 AM
I ha an LG soundbar with subwoofer, absolutely love it. Unobtrusive and great quality sound, if you're not botthered about true surround sound effects and just want good quality sound they are great.

I would recommend the one on offer at Currys in the link below, great value at that price. Even has a wireless subwoofer so you can place it anywhere in the room. - view external link (http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/dvd-blu-ray-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-sound-bars/lg-nb3530a-wireless-sound-bar-2)

whereeaglesfly
02-12-2014, 11:04 AM
The yamaha mentioned above is supposed to be very good. I went to Richer Sounds in Prestwich but they didn't have one. However whilst there I listened to a Denon soundbase which was very good so I bought this instead,200 though so a lot more than the yamaha. They may stock the yamaha in other branches.

The_Exorcist
02-12-2014, 01:31 PM
I've had one of the Yamaha ones for a while. Good depth of sound and you really notice the difference compared to what comes out of the TV.

One of the big features of the Yamaha is the infra red repeater at the rear. If you place a sound bar just in front of the TV then chances are that it will be right in front of the TVs remote control sensor, meaning that you may have to hold the TV remote at an odd angle to get it to work.

With the Yamaha it detects any incoming IR signal and spits it out the back so that anything behind can receive the signal so there's no chance of it being blocked. It's a great feature

Pieandapint
02-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Orbitsound M10 with wireless sub.

Under 200 now and much smaller than the average soundbar which is a bonus for sitting it in a unit.

Without going to silly money these are a decent option.

dougcollins
02-12-2014, 03:42 PM
I also have a Yamaha, same as Martin Bell.

But the best thing I did was also get the Yamaha sub-woofer, which plugs directly into the soundbar and hides behind the tv stand in the corner.

Marvellous for those action movies, but improves the sound overall no end.

martintheaker
02-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Another shout for Yamaha, also got mine from Richer Sounds.

minniemouth
02-12-2014, 04:34 PM
Appreciate you asked for soundbar advice but I checked them all out last year and ended up with a Philips Home Theatre System at 75% of the price and it plays DVD/CD/USB. Apart from wires all around the room it's fantastic.

dougcollins
02-12-2014, 10:02 PM
Regarding not being able to hear speech correctly.

The Yamaha soundbar has a 'clear voice' option that simply boosts the sound frequencies most commonly found in human speech.

It works.

charlieinkentucky
03-12-2014, 06:55 AM
excellent. thanks DuggieCollins

beddie
03-12-2014, 08:26 AM
Some good advice. I am keen on the Yamaha mentioned, looks like they are in short supply at Richer Sounds due to the big reduction. The nearest Branch is Manchester/Stockport, around 60 miles away but perhaps worth the vist. Thanks you all again.

Longsider
03-12-2014, 11:31 AM
From their web site (I might buy one myself!)

"CAN'T GET TO US? GIVE US A CALL
"We can offer the same expert advice, take payment over the phone, and courier your purchases directly to your door. This service may exclude some special offers or promos, but covers the majority of our stock." Call your local store today!"

claretchrish
03-12-2014, 11:49 AM
I can recommend their home shopping. I recently bought a Yamaha surround amp from them that had a slight fault, and they arranged a collection and swap at my house the next day.

beddie
03-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Hi Longsider. I rang them. It appears Richer Sounds have sold out of the Yamaha 101 apart from the odd branch that have marked stock, i.e. scratched/remotes missing etc. They say its been superseded by the YAS103 at around 189.00 so I may go and look at them.

Longsider
03-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Probably right, but I'd give Birmingham a call as they list 4 in stock. Others only have 1 which I suppose are the ex-display stock. If the scratches aren't bad You'd save 90 !