PDA

View Full Version : Burnley co chairman reflects on the battle to stay

ClaretTony2014
03-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Burnley co chairman reflects on the battle to stay in the Premier League and the battle to keep hold of Danny Ings.

Burnley co chairman John Banaszkiewicz says the club are determined to try and hang on to star striker Danny Ings.
Speculation has already started that Ings, out of contract in the summer, could leave Turf Moor, possibly in the January window.
But Banaszkiewicz says it's imperative that the striker stays.
" Talks are ongoing, but it is ***** we try and keep him. It's a team effort staying in the Premier League, but he is a crucial part of that. We will be doing our best to hang on to him.

Banaszkiewicz also paid tribute to the way manager Sean Dyche has steadied the ship after a challenging start to the Premier League season.

" Sean was the outstanding candidate when we interviewed him two years ago.
He has been the catalyst that has helped create a united and strong squad. He has pushed out all the boundaries, and I am sure the recent wins will have given us added c

Patey
03-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Spoken like a businessman. Too many clubs are run on a boom and bust method. I'm pleased to have local businessmen at the helm to ensure our club survives for future generations to enjoy.

lakester
03-12-2014, 11:34 AM
Very proud to support Burnley. These are the times we dreamt about years ago. We're very, very fortunate to have such a committed bunch of Clarets at the helm. Thanks, lads.

The Bedlington Terrier
03-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Not at all hard to agree with these sentiments. Prudently run, properly managed, possible mid table finish. By heck, would that put some noses out of joint?

claretspice
03-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Fine words.

Only slight problem with them is that I've read them before, only it was about 5 years ago and they were attributed to Barry Kilby. 4 years later we had a youth set up which barely made category C and a scouting network cut so far it barely made the Scottish border.

Talk of investing in the future is fine, but promising legacy at some ill-defined point in the future is (as governments have known since god was a boy) an easy way to justify a less extravagant present. This time it has to be delivered, although it must be said that the ticketing this season smacks more of a desire for a quick buck than a desire to leave a legacy. And JB made some fine noises about community not long before his chief exec forced through a pricing strategy completely at odds with his words.

lotty1
03-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Here we go again with unwarranted criticism . They've got a heck of a lot of things right but let's just focus on anything that maybe they got wrong shall we ?

mkmel
03-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Lotty I thought that you & spice were best of mates
:-)

claretspice
03-12-2014, 02:37 PM
No-one's criticising anything. They're great words and hard to argue with.

But they're best judged with hindsight when this legacy materialises and benefits the club for years to come.

Perhaps I'm a bit cynical, I'd accept that criticism, but I don't think its unreasonable to point out that promises are easily made and easier to break, particularly when they don't need to be fulfilled until years into the future.

lotty1
03-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Mel XD . Just waiting for others to add similar comments ; all the usual suspects . ;D

Jamb0MackemClaret
03-12-2014, 02:50 PM
What's the point in anyone commenting, lotty already knows what everyone is going to say.

Bin_Ont_Turf
03-12-2014, 02:51 PM
I'll be very disappointed if we don't get a 'failed to land our summer targets' or 'no one is saying we should bet the ranch' by the end of play today.

Eyes down for a full house.

lotty1
03-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Any promises made will be made with the best intentions , hindsight or no hindsight . Very very easy to say what you've just said . We are imo lucky that they try to keep things sensible and they are trying to improve the club at all levels but they will not just throw money at it unlike some clubs which seems to be sensible .

The Bedlington Terrier
03-12-2014, 02:56 PM
I do not find our current Board of Directors to be anything other than the opposite end of disingenuous. They are trying their socks off, appointed a great manager of men and the business is in the highest echelon and solvent. I am absolutely finding it impossible to criticize anything they are currently doing even though I have just missed out on the Citeh tickets!

fatboy47
03-12-2014, 03:22 PM
""Talk of investing in the future is fine, but promising legacy at some ill-defined point in the future is (as governments have known since god was a boy) an easy way to justify a less extravagant present. This time it has to be delivered, although it must be said that the ticketing this season smacks more of a desire for a quick buck than a desire to leave a legacy""

Not the forelock-tugging grovelling piece of self-abasement in response to the latest bit of spin from the club that lotty would approve of, but hard to see how anyone with anything close to a balanced view could possibly argue with this.

Jimscho
03-12-2014, 03:26 PM
Lotty does know what some of you are going to say because you are sooooooo predictable.Clareturion not playing out today.

ChristheViking
03-12-2014, 04:03 PM
Claretspice has forgotten why we've got this message of frugality from the chairmen. We ****ed the money away last time. Within 12 months of relegation we were told the money had gone.

Clearly, they're not intent on making that mistake again. We have most certainly cut our cloth better this time and I am seeing that some lessons from last time have been learned.

Are we being over cautious? Possibly? It will be interesting to see what "insists Dyche will have funds to spend in the January transfer window" actually translates into.

I think we have a far better chance of stopping up this time. There are 3 worse teams than us. The question now is will we gamble even a little to stop up this time or will we go with the tried and tested and hope it works in the Premiership.

Either way I can't complain too much about what the Board have done so far.

garfunkal
03-12-2014, 04:34 PM
September 4th “We’ve got some money left for January so that it keeps options open"

December 3 " we have no war chest , we will find hidden treasures "

what a surprise !

poultonclaret
03-12-2014, 04:43 PM
my only 'criticism' is - ingsy's contract should have been sorted months ago. the board should have pulled-out all the stops to get him signed. i fear we've missed the boat again by trying to be tough [penny-pinching] negotiators when we could/should have given him a contract which mirrors our valuation of him and his value to the club. he'll be gone in january for £3 million to southampton or elsewhere. why would he stay here when more obvious benefits await him at bigger clubs?

BennyD
03-12-2014, 04:58 PM
However, I suspect you haven't got the faintest idea as to what went on regarding 'Ingsy's contract'. The board may have promised him the earth but he might not want to sign because he knew 'bigger' clubs would be coming in for him. Personally, I am not holding this situation against the board unless evidence to the contrary emerges. They realise, and have said, that Danny Ings may well be the key to our survival and, being Burnley fans themselves, they are doing everything they can to keep hold of him.

lotty1
03-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Easy to blame the board for the Ings situation when no one knows the facts . According to SD talks have been going on for months so don't quite see how we've missed the boat . Could be any number of reasons as to why he hasn't signed but just blame the board .

Eddie_M
03-12-2014, 05:33 PM
'determined to try'
'it is ***** we try and keep him'
'We will be doing our best to hang on to him'

To me this is sending a message to other clubs, come with your offers please.

Why the need to include Danny in the statement, why not simply say Danny Ings is not for sale in January?

All this we will try, do our best etc is a load of balls. :/

lotty1
03-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Because they can't say that can they because it's not all down to them . Like many you're reading things the way you want to .

Eddie_M
03-12-2014, 05:38 PM
They don't decide whether they sell Danny Ings in January?

lotty1
03-12-2014, 05:46 PM
I would respectfully suggest that there could be several reasons why Ings hasn't signed and whether or not we sell him in January won't be just down to the joint Chairman .There will be other factors but it's oh so easy to point the finger at the Chairman - as for the rest you're reading between the lines with no knowledge of the facts . None of us know the facts .

bfcmik
03-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Eddie_M - No, the club aren't the one's who get to decide if we sell in January. Danny Ings is the one who decides if he wishes to complete the season at this club.

If he decides that he wants away and will not play for us any longer then the Board would have two choices - sell him for what we can get or put him on garden leave until June 30th. which would be a lose-lose situation for the board, the club and us fans.

dsr
03-12-2014, 06:05 PM
you're missing a fairly big point, poulton. You say the Board should have given Danny Ings what he wants? Maybe the conversation went like this:

Board: "Danny, what do you want?"
Ings: "To play for Southampton".

or -

Board: "Danny, what do you want?"
Ings: "To play in the Champions League".

How could the board provide him with what he wants?

scouseclaret
03-12-2014, 06:22 PM
Making a virtue of our frugality is all very well, but the inevitable fact is that if we're only prepared to pay a fifth of the wages of even our closest rivals, we have absolutely no hope of keeping hold of Ings, and will also lose our other top talent as and when contracts run out or they catch they eye of bigger clubs.

poultonclaret
03-12-2014, 06:30 PM
yes, none of us know how the negotiations went but the bottom line is he wasn't offered enough to tempt him to stay, he aint signed yet and he probably won't, now. he'll go for a lot less than he's worth and less than any decent replacement will cost the club.

lotty1
03-12-2014, 07:42 PM
OK poultonclaret ,so he hasn't signed because we didn't offer him enough . That's the reason is it ? How much did we offer him ? How much did he want ?
Are there any other reasons ? you can't answer yes to any of those can you for the simple reason that like everyone else you simply don't know so you're prepared to make it up . It just gets better and better on here .

bobcloth1
03-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Lotty if right, nobody knows the facts.
Ings could be desperate to stay but the board are not playing ball. We just don't know.

BennyD
03-12-2014, 08:15 PM
You are right, we don't know. However, I'm willing to bet my left b0ll0ck that if Danny was desperate to stay he would already have been signed up.

ClaretTony2014
03-12-2014, 08:59 PM
"my only 'criticism' is - ingsy's contract should have been sorted months ago. the board should have pulled-out all the stops to get him signed."

I think the board of directors would agree with that sentiment. It is becoming more and more obvious that the reason it wasn't sorted is that Ings doesn't want it sorting. It's his choice and it looks as though his intention is to run his contract down and then look at the options. If that's the case there is absolutely nothing the board can do.

scouseclaret
03-12-2014, 09:48 PM
The only task now is to keep him happy until the end of the season and give us a fighting chance of staying up. Letting him go for a couple of million will be a total false economy.

poultonclaret
03-12-2014, 10:32 PM
nice one lotty. i'd already stated that none of us know how the negotiations went and true to form you simply ignore my comments to give yourself a reason to jump on your soapbox. i was saying that ingsy's contract really should have been done and dusted a year ago. the board shouldn't have waited 'til the last year of his contract, or whatever it was, to get him to sign a new one. feel free to have another go if it makes you feel clever. ;D

dsr
03-12-2014, 10:35 PM
What annoys me is that people look at last year's "big four" of players coming to the end of their contracts at the end of this season - Ings, Vokes, Trippier, Arfield - and completely forget that the Board of Directors have managed to persuade three quarters of these players to sign extended contracts. Four fifths of them, if you want to include Mee.

They just look at the signings, think "in an ideal world we would have signed Ings as well", and carry on at the board for not giving them everything on their Christmas list.

Or if it's not that, then it's that they're so busy looking at the dark side that they completely forget the good things that have been done.

Is your glass four-fifths full or one-fifth empty?

dsr
03-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Poulton - I don't remember you saying that Danny Ings, who at that time had scored 6 goals in his first two years at the club, should be signed up to a Premier League contract. Can you produce the evidence?

And you still haven't answered the obvious question - what does he want?

lotty1
04-12-2014, 08:15 AM
poultonclaret - I'm not trying to be clever at all and in fact you've changed your view and gone from saying the Ings contract should have been sorted months ago to saying it should have been sorted a year ago . They have been trying to tie him to a deal for a long time so it's not down to lack of effort .

Quite simply if he doesn't want to stay then he won't and there's nothing the directors can do about it .

claret78
04-12-2014, 09:01 AM
The reason Ings hasn't signed a contract is because he wants all the potential transfer fee if he was under contract to himself. It really is that simple.

lotty1
04-12-2014, 09:30 AM
When did he tell you that ?;D

MJT
04-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Its good news about Gawthorpe, correcting Eddie's decision to upgrade the turf gym rather than build the indoor centre after applying for planning permission.

Now we will get both!

poultonclaret
04-12-2014, 10:25 AM
dsr - Poulton - I don't remember you saying that Danny Ings, who at that time had scored 6 goals in his first two years at the club, should be signed up to a Premier League contract. Can you produce the evidence? a certain Charlie Austin was possibly in his way - wouldn't you say. ps are you bloody well checking all my posts? maybe we need to identify quality players sooner and sort out a decent contract perhaps with buy out clauses and bonuses to the player if we receive a good offer. you obviously didn't rate Danny but some of us did.

And you still haven't answered the obvious question - what does he want? how the hell should i know? ask him if you care that much. it's a bit late now to try to give him what he wants anyway as he clearly wants a bigger club/bigger wages than he will get here.

lotty - i haven't changed my tune at all i've merely been more specific with the timeline ie from 'a few months' to 'a year' - you're splitting hairs mate.

fatboy47
04-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Endless waffle about Ings contract...the reality is that the club operates in a highly "risk-averse" manner because we don't have a wealthy board compared to the norm. The idea of being stuck with an injured Ings for 4 years on a high wage just isn't gonna wash with us.

Understandable...it's why we pay less in wages and spend less on fees than all the others. Just we didn't dress the whole thing up in this "it's because we're steady and sensible" toss. Prefer we just said we're small time and potless.

Aye...if Ings goes for £3m in Jan then we've been shafted...if he smashes a knee next week we'll be breathing a sigh of relief.

Chancy approach by Ings...but once his pre-contract has been signed with whoever it's hard to see him busting a gut on the turf. Even more so with the buy and lease back avenue suggested.

bobcloth1
04-12-2014, 10:49 AM
Sorry, why would we be breathing a sigh of relief?

lotty1
04-12-2014, 10:49 AM
poultonclaret .
As I've said no one knows the reasons that Ings hasn't signed a new contract but basically you've blamed the directors for not paying him what he wants and not having sorted his contract out a year ago .

Do you know all of that or are you assuming ?

JohnMcGreal
04-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Ings clearly won't sign a new contract.
We clearly don't want to lose our best player at a time when we need him the most.

The only action we should be taking is telling him that he will not be sold in January, and hope that his goals can help keep us up this season. If we stay up, losing him to a tribunal fee will be worth it.

If we sell him for a small-ish fee in January, it will be an even bigger surrender of our PL status than when we hired Brian Laws.

Jamb0MackemClaret
04-12-2014, 11:38 AM
If his goals keep us up we'll probably get a reasonable tribunal fee anyway. Unless anyone is offering silly money - like £10m+ and a loan back to the end of the season - there's no way we should even entertain offers. Selling him would be effectively consigning ourselves to relegation.

dsr
04-12-2014, 12:05 PM
No, I'm not checking your posts, poulton. I didn't say you weren't saying sign Ings to a Premier contract last year, I'm just saying I don't remember you saying that.

As for you knowing what Ings wants, you have to know that. You've consistently said that the Board should and could have given Ings what he wants. So must must have known what he wants otherwise your posts are meaningless.

In this last post, you accept the possibility that he wants a bigger club. Why are you so certain that he didn't want a bigger club last year?

poultonclaret
04-12-2014, 03:34 PM
i don't know, you don't know. only those there know and they aint tellin'. would be a shame to let him go on the cheap though. they obviously didn't give him what he wants to stay at the club and take a new contract. i doubt he was thinking of leaving for a bigger club 12 to 18 months ago. maybe we should have extended his contract then instead of leaving it too late.

DiBraidio
04-12-2014, 03:49 PM
If Ings wants a lot more money then why is it that in the video on the official site for his charity launch that he was saying that money doesn't matter to him? If he was so interested in money why pay the whole of the expenses for the charity out of his own pocket? That'd be the sort of hypocrisy that we haven't seen since OC left us.

NottsClaret
04-12-2014, 04:06 PM
What's your point again, DiBraidio? You've lost me there.

claretspice
04-12-2014, 04:40 PM
I'm no staunch defender of the club - see post at the top of this thread about words and actions - but to blame the club for the fact Ings is still out of contract is fundamentally to misunderstand the economics of modern football. Just as when Bryson turned us down in the summer, you can't force a player to sign a contract with you who doesn't want to and can get more cash than you can possibly offer elsewhere (of course, as per summer arguments, never agreeing a fee for a player in the first place is a different matter). If you want to blame anyone for the fact Ings hasn't sold another contract blame Ings.

The best option for us in January is that someone like Spurs or Liverpool comes in for him, offers us £5 million and a loan back until the end of the season. Everyone's a winner that way. We can't sell him outright in January and I don't believe we will, at any price.

By the way, I don't think Ings' refusal to sign a new one year contract reflects particularly well on him (in con

ChristheViking
04-12-2014, 04:50 PM
As lotty butchers another thread, I'll point out to him the fairly obvious contradiction that eludes him yet again. Either:

1) Nobody is entitled to an opinion because "nobody knows all the facts" and so we may as well shut the board down.
2) Everyone is entitled to an opinion whether they know all the facts or not and you stop the broken record. It's a messageboard. If you had your way no-one would vote because "NOBODY KNOWS ALL THE FACTS ETC"

OR

3) You keep off the messageboard because you don't know all the facts and let the rest of us who want to discuss stuff do so without the fear of another thread hijack.

Soultions-oriented as ever,

lotty1
04-12-2014, 05:34 PM
Tell you what ChristheViking - tell me how I've butchered the thread . Sick to the back teeth of you having one of your little digs . Obviously you have a problem with me and I'd love to know what it is . No doubt you'll try to justify your comments but you really are the amongst the rudest of posters . Now
get off my case .

BobLordsFridge
04-12-2014, 05:54 PM
In fairness to ChristheViking, I think most people have a problem with you Lotty.

You stifle debate and have no self-awareness.

lotty1
04-12-2014, 05:56 PM
Perhaps you'd care to explain . Plenty of people agree with me so swings and roundabouts .

BobLordsFridge
04-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Roundabouts indeed.

lotty1
04-12-2014, 06:01 PM
So you're not going to explain then . Excellent .

fatboy47
04-12-2014, 06:02 PM
and swings.

ChristheViking
04-12-2014, 06:05 PM
"Tell you what ChristheViking - tell me how I've butchered the thread."

OK.

Post 6 - "let's just focus on anything that maybe they got wrong shall we ?" Spice wasn't doing that.

Post 20 - "Easy to blame the board for the Ings situation when no one knows the facts" Per my earlier note are we allowed an opinion if we don't know the facts?

Post 22 - "Like many you're reading things the way you want to" - People form their own opinions. Get used to it.

Post 24 - "none of us know the facts" - shut the messageboard down then

Post 29 - "like everyone else you simply don't know so you're prepared to make it up" - he's giving his opinion that he's entitled you as you constantly tell us about yours.

You've had multiple attempts at telling everyone that if they don't know all the facts they shouldn't be voicing an opinion. It's getting tiresome.

Again.

lotty1
04-12-2014, 06:09 PM
And your contribution to this thread apart from having a go at me (again) is what exactly which is basically your contribution to any thread . Strange you haven't commented on those who have agreed with me . The points you make are all of course merely your opinion for what that's worth .

In future ignore my comments and I'll do exactly the same with yours ; easier for both of us .

What does soultions orientated mean ?

ChristheViking
04-12-2014, 06:14 PM
"And your contribution to this thread apart from having a go at me (again) is what exactly"

Try reading post 16. I know it's not like you to not read things. Apologies in advance for contributing without knowing "all the facts"

It's difficult to ignore your comments unfortunately when you're hell-bent on repeating yourself on a point that is irrelevant and non-contributory.

Stop butchering threads and I'll stop pulling you up for it.

lotty1
04-12-2014, 06:20 PM
I don't need to justify myself to you and certainly won't be asking your permission to comment - now go and annoy someone else .

I will however apologise for missing post 16 - I did read it at the time and actually agreed with it for what it's worth .

mgill87
04-12-2014, 06:28 PM
"We have doubled our scouting team and are starting to look around Europe.
We would rather find hidden treasure rather than waste money. We have to be careful."

Hallelujah! :)

poultonclaret
04-12-2014, 07:07 PM
i can actually sort out these three items! it just so happens that i have a spare woggle, a map of europe and a metal detector going cheap. i'll let the club know.

g69
04-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Our first disadvantage is the lad lived on the south coast with its affluence and temperate climate it's hard for east lancs and the board to compete with that. Secondly he as to leave his family and friends to ply his trade all of which can be solved with a move to a club closer to home and the reputed offer of more money. Which puts the board in another quandary if we have a slab rate for all players we have put down a marker. It's also hard for someone at the tender age of only 22 and an equally young flamboyant agent to always make the correct and wisest decisions when everyone is pecking your head. So maybe it's a case of let's wait and see meanwhile he's playing his socks off to tempt all suitors which helps us. Finally if charity begins at home why would he not wait to see if success took him in that direction So we can all make our own assumptions to what may lie ahead but I for one wish him well in whatever he decides
UTC

dsr
04-12-2014, 08:42 PM
If we're sticking to facts, here's two:

1. We came into 2014 with 5 key players approaching the last year of their contract.

2. Four of them have signed new contracts.

Now from that, you can come to one of two conclusion:

1. The Board of Directors have no interest in signing key players and have blown it big style.

2. One of those players doesn't like what's offered and wants to wait and see what else is available.

Anybody's guess. My own view is that the facts support conclusion 2.

I/m not unduly worried about the South coast influence. If he was homesick, he wouldn't have spent most of the summer in Burnley - he'd have been back at home until the first day of training.

hampsteadclaret
04-12-2014, 11:10 PM
- just about to come on this thread and reply to that bloke who has been saying for about 3 weeks now, that we can't comment on anything because 'WE DON'T KNOW THE FULL FACTS'..was just going to remind him that this is a messageboard and it's all about opinions, even if you DON'T KNOW THE FULL FACTS, AND TO ASK HIM TO STOP MAKING THE SAME REPETITIVE POINT, THAT HE HAS BEEN making for at least three weeks..

Then I read ChristheViking's post, which is ezactly what I was thinking...then all was well in the world again..B)

lotty1
05-12-2014, 06:46 AM
That's rich coming from you hamsteadclaret . You upset more people than most so I won't be worrying one drot about your comments .