PDA

View Full Version : Jones and Juke

lancaster100
03-12-2014, 06:01 PM
Well I really do not want to say this because I think on the whole every player has put in a shift every time they pull on the shirt. So commitment and desire and pure work ethic is not in question. However, the two weak players the clarets need to address if they are to give themselves the best chance of staying up is to replace both Juke and Jones. Neither player is able to have the desired impact. The team would be better served if those two positions were replaced with a little more quality. I could also say the same for Kightly but his problem is he leaves his position too often but still possesses quality when he wants to turn it on and so I would give him another chance.

surfnturf
03-12-2014, 06:38 PM
You must be on the wind -up,Jones is absolute quality and one of the reasons we got promoted.His performances arent eye catching but we havent had a midfielder like him for years.great first touch,comfortable in possession and never hides always willling to take the ball no matter how many are around him...as for the juke hes been benched what more do u want ??

evensteadiereddie
03-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Complete cobblers, Jones is a fine footballer, coveted now by many fans of his former clubs and, as pointed out above, one of the architects of our success this season and last.
The Juke will come good, make no mistake.

fungus_the_bogeyman
03-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Jones is comfortably in the top three or four midfielders we've had in my 25 years of watching us.

He's an excellent footballer: calm, neat in possession, makes good decisions, high energy, good fitness, has an innate understanding with Marney and along with his partner, keeps us ticking over in the middle of the park. He's had two average games in a row, but he's been one of the best signings we've made in the last 10-15 years, IMO.

RogerEliHatTrick
03-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Don't know how you can lump these two players together on one thread really.

I believe if we hadn't had Jones last season we would not have been promoted. Yes he is sometimes off the pace say the last two games and we could do with some other options but he is a firm starter for me.

As for Juke whilst he is not really PL quality he is another option from the bench. He looks low on confidence so a bit of support might be best for him when he does come on.

Jamb0MackemClaret
03-12-2014, 07:32 PM
If Jones could run a bit faster and shoot a bit better he'd be absolutely brilliant. He wasn't at his best last night but he's still one of our better players. We need competition and options in midfield, not to replace Jones.

Boliclaret
03-12-2014, 07:36 PM
The Op's also lumped Kightly in there as well.

I'm probably not alone in thinking that kightly would struggle with the pace in this league but up to now I think he's been decent. Very unlucky to miss out last night.

3putt
03-12-2014, 08:52 PM
Agree with all the positive comments about Jones. As well as being a very important part of last seasons success, I thought he started this season tremendously well.

Have to say his form has dipped this last 2 games, I thought he was actually pretty poor last night. Hopefully he will be back to his best soon. An important player for us.

Less convinced about Juke, don't think he is good enough at this level. But hope he can prove me wrong.

billyhamilton82
03-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Jones is quality and opposition teams know that he makes us tick whilst Marney is his protector. They fit together like cogs in a Swiss timepiece.

Juke on the other hand is very low on confidence and if that header had gone in against Villa it could have been a different story.

That said I think we would be better served in trading him in January as Vokes comes back as Juke's lack of pace is alarming.

Doing a deal with Huddersfield would be ideal bringing in Nahki Wells in a cash plus Juke deal. He would bring some genuine pace to the squad and Huddersfield are in the market for a big man could even offer Sordell as part of the deal. Wells/Vokes/Barnes/Ings sounds like a quality striking line up within our budget.

TheInsideMan
03-12-2014, 09:54 PM
I've read a lot of utter *******s on here in my time but this has to be well up there with the *******siest.

earbyclaret
03-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Jones - not up to his usual very high standards in the last couple of games but absolutely ***** to the way we set-up. Playing 4-4-2 without either him or Marney is a concern at this level.

As has been said his willingness to receive the ball under any circumstances will be massively appreciated by his team mates - even if it's not such an obviously eye-catching attribute when watching the game.

Marney is enjoying a good spell at the moment - having Jones alongside him is a huge part of the reason for that.

Some rather hasty judgments on what we should do with Jutkiewicz in January. Regardless of whether people rate him or not the reason he came in is because his game/style/physique is not dissimilar to that of Vokes. We have absolutely no indication as yet how Sam's return is likely to map out. As has been mentioned elsewhere his first few games may well throw up the same kind of issues currently troubling LJ.

The last thing we want to do is increase the pressure on Sam by sidelin

fungus_the_bogeyman
03-12-2014, 10:33 PM
Some posters have highlighted important points here. I think Marney and Jones have to take a tremendous amount of credit for being able to make us relatively solid and also create chances in games considering they are largely up against an extra man. They both go through a tremendous amount of work that is highlighted whenever either of them is injured.

Rowls
03-12-2014, 10:35 PM
The Two Jays.

This OP could have been written by ablueclaret.

enola_gay
03-12-2014, 11:45 PM
Complete cobblers, Jones is a fine footballer, coveted now by many fans of his former clubs ...

Jones is comfortably in the top three or four midfielders we've had in my 25 years of watching us.

Praise comes no fainter.

The OP may be overdramatic but the reactions do highlight the growing tendency on this board to react like a bunch of whiny six-year-olds to even the mildest of criticism of the team.

ashtonlongsider
04-12-2014, 07:40 AM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Jones and Marney remain fit for the rest of the season. If so we will have more than half a chance of survival. In tandem they are the fulcrum force of the team. Think Jones is only being criticised by minority because he missed a good chance the other night. IMO it just shows how good his work ethic is to get into those positions.
As for Juke, think the lad just needs a goal.

BillyHamilton66
04-12-2014, 07:54 AM
I find it incredible how anyone can seriously question the ability or commitment of David Jones..he is a fine footballer and at home in the premier league.

Boliclaret
04-12-2014, 10:09 AM
I've read a lot of utter *******s on here in my time but this has to be well up there with the *******siest

Insideman, I'd give it till this evening if I were you, I'm sure even this one can be topped. :s

cblantfanclub
04-12-2014, 10:32 AM
I find myself in agreement with the original poster. Jones’ performances last season are irrelevant and he is not a comfortable PL footballer – he looks like an uncomfortable PL footballer. I am also aware we no other options in midfield.
This is how I see his play - not a criticism but an observation of his playing style and why I would suggest he looks uncomfortable.
He is very one footed for the PL. His one footed play slows us down as we have to wait whist he shuffles round the ball inviting the opposition to close him down thus limiting his passing options. He rarely passes out to the right wing and usually turns his back to the opposition and passes to the left.
He may not be giving it away but it puts us under pressure in tight situations as the pass is to the nearest man he can get it to with his left foot. The opposition are aware of this and make it difficult for us to break out of midfield when he’s on the ball.
He appears to have to open his body up in order to pass with t

jojomk1
04-12-2014, 10:57 AM
We need one, if not two central midfield additions in Jan
It is inevitable that Marney will get some sort of ban (5 yellows) given his wholehearted efforts
Whilst not wanting to upset the Jones fans I also agree with the OP and cblantfanclub. Jones was excellent at Championship level but his limitations (as well described in the previous post) slow our game down
If we are to make further signings in this area then we can't afford for them just to be seen as "squad" players - we brought in enough of those in during the summer
Hopefully, Vokes will return soon as Juke appears to be the cover for his style of play

JohnMcGreal
04-12-2014, 11:04 AM
Jones is our best midfielder.

Juke is a bit pants.

The Bedlington Terrier
04-12-2014, 08:23 PM
Would love us to try going a bit more narrow with a proper 4-3-3. Jones, Marney and AN Other but we have sod all else to choose from.
That's our problem; nobody is pressing Jonesey and Deano for the two shirts. We really need to strengthen our midfield options in January.

IanMcL
05-12-2014, 08:59 AM
Two entirely different players, both of whom have delivered.

Whilst Jukes goals have dried up, he has offered other assets in abundance.

Jones is up against top midfielders every week and is holding his own.

Barmy thread.

enola_gay
05-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Not half as barmy as the idea that goals that haven't actually flowed yet have 'dried up'.

Darthlaw
05-12-2014, 09:33 AM
My goals have also 'dried up' for BFC.

JohnMcGreal
05-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Whilst Jukes goals have dried up

Err...

loyalclaret
05-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Did he not score a few pre-season?