PDA

View Full Version : Ashley Barnes

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
03-12-2014, 10:13 PM
The more game time this lad gets the more I think of him. He isn't Vokes yet but he is improving. He gives defenders a torrid time and seems to be gaining in confidence with his hold up and lay off play. Definitely the one to play with Danny until Sam is fit for me. I like the Juke but he looked knackered when he came on last night. I think he needs a shot of confidence tbh. I just wish his header had gone in against Villa.

butterflyvenom
04-12-2014, 12:56 AM
Yes, kind of agree with you. Was an easy target for the snipers and detractors. In actual fact he has stuck at it relentlessly. Playing where he does, it's a lot about getting chances to make an impression. Unfortunatley we have been lacking a decent supply line for players up front. If it was Championship season mark 11, I reckon he would have bagged quite a few goals by now.
Let's face it, we are hardly prolific are we.

Claretforever
04-12-2014, 05:32 AM
I was only saying this on the game on Tuesday. I think Barnes is really growing into that Vokes role. He's not there yet, but has improved massively. The amount of headers he's been winning lately, as opposed to going down quickly for a free kick, has helped the team no end. He's really started putting himself about and his touch is good too, enabling him to bring others into play.

army88
04-12-2014, 06:32 AM
Barnes has improved for the game time he's received lately.
If he had a little more pace he would be a reasonable player in the premier league.

I'm completely behind the lad though as is effort is Un questionable, we certainly didn't look the same team when he went off on Tuesday.

Voke s I belive offers far more if I'm honest though, I'm hoping that he can slip straight into the team in the near future and get up to speed in the PL.
hoping people don't expect too much too soon, and also that Danny stays so the partnership has the opportunity to re engage etc.

Supersub6
04-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Since Ashley came to us in January he has appeared in 21 matches in the Championsip and 12 in the Premier League.

Out of those, he started 11 games in the Championship and we won 7, drew 2 and lost 2 (Leicester & Middlesbrough at home) and he scored 3 goals in those games including the only goal which gave us the win at Barnsley.
In the Premier League he has started 5 matches and we have won 2 and drawn 3 scoring 7 and conceding 5 and that include his winner against Hull.

I think that the above statistics support the view that, when he has a run in the team, he does not let us down at all.

Jamb0MackemClaret
04-12-2014, 11:35 AM
I don't think it's a coincidence that we've not lost since Barnes got in the side. He's a real handful for opposition defences. I do think it's a bit lame that we bought two strikers and our third choice from last year is better than them both, mind.

The Bedlington Terrier
04-12-2014, 04:55 PM
He was well worth the quoted 500k paid for him, he would be one very easy sell-on. I really rate him, his work rate is excellent, he tries his socks off and boy does he win an awful lot of ball in the air? Need Juke and Sordell to step up to the plate now!

claretspice
04-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Decent player, although I didn't see his performance on Tuesday night as as impressive as others seem to have done.

But he's sparky, holds the ball with his back to goal reasonably well, and he's got a good touch when he receives the ball into the channel.

Said elsewhere he reminds me of Paul Dickov. He's probably not sufficiently good in any department to justify a career at this level. But he's a mighty pain in the backside for defenders and he might have the application to ensure that he does enough in enough departments to hang around at this level longer than any of us first expected. Not least because he has the knack of scoring important goals - all 3 of his goals have been the first in crucial victories.

Akinbadbye_20
04-12-2014, 06:49 PM
Hes also a perfect backup striker because he has attributes to fill in for either Ings or Vokes/Juke

mgill87
04-12-2014, 06:56 PM
Yes, the people who were labelling him not good enough have gone rather quiet now.

claretproud
04-12-2014, 07:34 PM
Not good enough for the premier league i'm afraid.

Tenbellies
04-12-2014, 08:01 PM
I love his work rate and he can score, especially when we put quality balls into the box. Real team player who can only improve the more time he spends on the pitch. To make a statement that he is 'not a premier league player' after only a handful of games is a bit premature. The whole team has improved as the season has gone on. With Dyche as manager, they will continue to learn.