PDA

View Full Version : Gilchrist

Coyled_Spring
04-12-2014, 06:22 AM
I dont know a great deal about this lad, but he seemed to have a pretty decent pre season and I hear his amongst the goals.

Is he anywhere near the first team?

Newcastleclaret1993
04-12-2014, 07:19 AM
he certainly seems to be banging in the goals, however i imagine he won't be anywhere near the first team this season unless there are some significant injuries. he needs to have a half season loan and maybe he will be closer to the first team next season

DiBraidio
04-12-2014, 08:16 AM
I would be very surprised if Gilchrist was even close to getting on the bench.

I'd suggest he needs to go out on loan at Conference level or above and get some first team football under his belt.

The trouble is he's done nothing to raise any interest from a club wanting to take him on loan. Perhaps Wimbledon could be interested if he gives a good account of himself in the youth cup game.

Jay Rod got a loan back to the Championship when we were in the Premier League last time but then again he'd already scored goals in the Championship and in the cup runs.

We've had a few players who banged in the goals for the reserves like Colin Carr Lawton, Anthony Shandron and Wes Fletcher. I'm sure there are plenty of others who've looked great in the reserves but then struggled to make it in professional football.

ClaretTony2014
04-12-2014, 09:25 AM
"Perhaps Wimbledon could be interested if he gives a good account of himself in the youth cup game."

I very much doubt it - Jason Gilchrist is two years too old for the youth team.

jamesnulty
04-12-2014, 09:28 AM
How old is he?

lotty1
04-12-2014, 09:32 AM
The way youth and reserve team football is set up these days makes it very difficult for young players to break into 1st team squads and get games - in my opinion .

Toby1
04-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Because he isn't in ourd squad list (see link), does this prevent Gilchrist's or any other player from being selected for a game or not according to the rules? - view external link (http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/players/current_squad_list.asp)

ClaretTony2014
04-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Gilchrist isd in our squad list - which you will find at the link - view external link (http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/sngl/ed33/current_squad_section/index.shtml)

Jamb0MackemClaret
04-12-2014, 11:37 AM
A loan spell could do him good, but if we're only trusting Sordell and Juke with a few minutes off the bench between them it might be worth having him on the bench one week and having a look. You never know.

DiBraidio
04-12-2014, 03:54 PM
Oops, I forgot that was a youth game CT. I was thinking it was an U21 game but we're out of that cup aren't we.

Gilchrist, Hewitt, Howieson... we've got quite a few youngsters who've been around for ages and don't appear to be getting any nearer to the first team. I'm surprised that so few of them go out on loan.

Quicknick
04-12-2014, 04:19 PM
What's the point being on the bench 'having a look'?