PDA

View Full Version : Chalobah

mkmel
04-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Is he out injured as not been in recent squads or played for Development team?

ClaretTony2014
04-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Not made the 18

I_Wood_Lovett
04-12-2014, 11:21 AM
We will need him after Marney picks up his fifth yellow - probably on Saturday. :blue:

jedi_master
04-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Strange state of affairs, can't imagine Chelsea are very happy at all, nor the player.

In the very brief bits I have seen of him he has looked alright to me.

Quickenthetempo
04-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Chelsea are fuming with Everton over Atsu not playing. Can't imagine them being happy with us either. Nevermind he will be going back soon as we can't afford wages like that to be wasted.

jwp
04-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Only seen him for a half against WestBrom and thought he looked like our best player - that said it wasn't hard that afternoon.

Suspect he may be on the bench again Saturday if Ward isn't fit as we've no midfield cover otherwise.

bobcloth1
04-12-2014, 11:42 AM
Evidence would suggest he's a player Dyche didn't want but we were left with no other option.
Or we left ourselves with no other option.

ksrclaret
04-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Would it be fair to assume he hasn't fitted in with the group/ the framework of the team as well as was expected?

Obviously he's had a few injury problems but I'd have thought he'd have made a few more appearances than he has to date, especially given that he's looked quite good in his brief cameos.

bf2k
04-12-2014, 11:58 AM
I'm not too sure on his injury status but up until the Villa game I couldn't see him getting a start unless Jones or Marney got injured again. However, after both Villa & Newcastle games Jones looks off the pace and I think Chalobah would slot into that role quite well.

jimio143
04-12-2014, 12:08 PM
Ever so slightly off topic, but thinking about players potentially going back to parent clubs in January, does anyone recall the situation with Michael Keane? Is he with us on a season or half season loan? I'd heard rumours that we might look to make it a permanent transfer...

Is he one we should be worried about losing in Jan? I think he's done quite well the last couple of matches coming in for Duff...

ClaretTony2014
04-12-2014, 12:24 PM
He's currently on loan until January (Keane that is)

Quickenthetempo
04-12-2014, 12:28 PM
He was in the telegraph during the week telling of his frustration at lack of game time. Especially as he says he would of been playing for United with all the injuries.

Unless he keeps Duff out the team until January I can't see him staying.

ClaretTony2014
04-12-2014, 12:29 PM
He won't get any football at OT though. He just happens to have been here during their defensive crisis.

Jamb0MackemClaret
04-12-2014, 12:32 PM
It'll be interesting to see if Keane keeps Duff out of the team. Surely less chance we get to keep him if Duff comes straight back. It must be something off-the-field with Chalobah, he's done fine on the few brief chances he's had.

DiBraidio
04-12-2014, 12:35 PM
Given the choice I'd say keep Keane and let Chalobah go back, he looks anything but the sort of player to fit into our framework. Too languid and not really into the kind of pressing game that Dyche expects. I honestly think we'd be better of with Stevie Hewitt for the energy he brings to midfield even if his passing is undoubtedly inferior.

Chalobah is yet to win a tackle according to Squawka (fouls don't count) he hasn't gone past a man or won an aerial duel. He hasn't created a chance or put in a key pass but he has been tidy on the ball with a 88% successful pass % which would make him more suited to playing for a team like Swansea than us.

Hopefully we'll find a more suitable Marney type midfielder in the January transfer window.

JohnMcGreal
04-12-2014, 12:36 PM
He won't get any football at OT though. He just happens to have been here during their defensive crisis.

He will if they get another few injuries at the back.

skiptonclaret
04-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Keane has to be worth a punt, surely ? Particularly if, as I'd hope, we are looking beyond the next six months or so.
Chalobah was on the bench every week and getting the odd few minutes on the pitch. If he now can't make the bench, without there having been any increase in our squad numbers, then it's difficult not to come to some sort of conclusion as to what has happened.

culmclaret
04-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Chalobah would be fine in a team surrounded by better players. At the moment he looks like a poor man's Jack Cork, although to be fair he's generally been brought on to steady the ship when we are getting hammered.

jojomk1
04-12-2014, 04:14 PM
He certainly looked very composed and skilful against us last season when playing for M'Boro
Given his lack of game time for us this season we can only assume SD does not rate him
Which begs the question - who was responsible for bringing the guy in on such big wages

claretspice
04-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Agree that Chalobah either hasn't shown the attitude Dyche expects, or has struggled to adapt to the aggressive press Dyche expects. Which is a shame because he looks a good and classy footballer, and it leaves us with no frontline midfield cover, which is a bit of a disaster really.

As for Keane, he's been unlucky there's been an injury pile up in his position at United just as he goes out on loan. Chances of lightening striking twice are low, mind. I quite like the look of him - he's got loads to learn and he's clearly not going to replace Duff when Duff is fit for a while yet (though strains can take a while to settle down at Duff's age), but he looks to be possibly the most dominating centre back in the air I've seen at Burnley since Steve Davis (possibly Bikey) and he seems to have a lot of good attributes. First impressions positive and I hope we can extend the loan or even make it permanent on the basis Duff's time has to be coming to an end sooner or later.

nil_desperandum
04-12-2014, 05:34 PM
I agree about Keane Spice, but do you remember at the end of last season when I was advocating signing him?
You were quite sceptical as I recall.
With our sort of budget we'll be hard pressed to find a better young prospect in that position.

skiptonclaret
04-12-2014, 06:08 PM
The key word being "prospect"' , we need to sign a few if we're not producing any of our own. There needs to be a balance between this and, in the main, the older players we signed in summer.
I

claretspice
04-12-2014, 06:39 PM
I was then, yes - for 2 reasons:

1. I thought that apart from a striker, our key, experienced (and expensive) signing should be a centre half with a bit of pedigree. That was partly on the basis Shackell needed to bed in at this level without having to coax a greenhorn through the game.

2. I was under the mistaken impression he was left sided - turns out he only played in the left sided berth at Rovers to allow Hanley to play in his best position.

The logic of (1) no longer applies - Shackell has settled in nicely at this level and partly for that reason and we won't get the same value from them because the season is now half way through - and (2) was wrong anyway. So I can now agree with you if you're saying we should be considering signing him permanently in January. Certainly looks to be something there to work with in the medium term, although his commments in the LET last week suggest he thought he was more ready for this level than he actually is.

IanMcL
05-12-2014, 09:03 AM
Duff is head and shoulders above Keane at present. Keane is not Gary Cahill and we are not in the Championship.

Chalobah...how do we know what he can offer, as he only gets a few mins, here and there.

There are others ahead of him.