PDA

View Full Version : Barracks roundabout balls up

bfcjg
04-12-2014, 12:03 PM
After months and months and months of delays they have finally finished and this wonderful scheme talked up by our overpaid semi literate beurocrats has created one almighty cock up with traffic jams everywhere. Thanks for wasting more money somebody needs to justify this shambles so at least we can find a bigger idiot than Nigel Pearson.

mikeS
04-12-2014, 12:19 PM
There was a queue of traffic at 6:15 this morning with the new traffic lights in effect for the first day. I'd hate to think what it will be like at 5:00pm.
The big advertising hoarding near the Barracks station says this was supposed to be a, "Highways improvement scheme."
poppycock, balderdash and *******ies.

ClaretTony2014
04-12-2014, 12:28 PM
At least the whole shambles has been a talking point

mikeS
04-12-2014, 12:43 PM
The nightmare that is the "Smart Motorway" the M60-62 is much worse than Gannow Top.
And that job doesn't finish until Summer 2017. Three years; for a 20-mile stretch of road where no new roads or lanes are being built, the cameras are already in place and the workforce are only working at night.

Anyone who uses it will have experienced the delays. Longest for me so far was Central Manchester to Burnley in a staggering 2hours and 25 minutes.

scoobyclaret
04-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Apparently Pearson reckons the roundabouts in Leicester are bigger and better than Burnleys in every way..
Seriously though, I was on the M65 westbound about 8am this morning and the tailback for jct 10 stretched almost to Jct 8, I assumed there must have been an accident or something, didn't realise it was just those flippin traffic lights that seem to have taken forever to install

SethHowarthsHair
04-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Takes the ****, having to add 15-20 minutes on to your journey just to travel 1-2 miles. The last lot of traffic lights work really well and I was looking forward to seeing how these would improve the bottleneck further.

Darthlaw
04-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Is that the roundabout near the old Happy Eater, now kenanks (sp?).

I particularly enjoyed this weekend travelling toward Burnley from the Padiham end, where I usually go down burnham gate.

What was 3 lanes:
left straight into town down westgate
Middle - Into town via Trafalgar
Right (merging into 2 lanes- Into town via Burnham gate or accrington road

Has now turned into:
left straight into town down westgate
Middle Merges into 1 & 1/2 lanes - Trafalgar or a half lane down burnham gate
Right 2 & 1/2 lanes - Same half lane for burnham gate, lane for accrington road or lane for Gannow.

Basically it's now a lottery as to which lane to approach in because 2 lanes have been created which weren't there before! I can see crashes a plenty when all are confused about which lane to approach in to go down Burnham gate and the resultant 'merging' needed.

tynecastleclaret
04-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Good point Darth you have to be aware going towards burnham gate, Ive been cut up twice there since the weekend.

culmclaret
04-12-2014, 01:47 PM
This does seem to have been an answer to a problem which didn't exist. Travelling up to games from the benighted south, traffic in Burnley seems to be at 1950s levels, or it did before they started fiddling with the road layout.

Darthlaw
04-12-2014, 01:51 PM
In fairness tynecastle, it's so unclear now they probably thought you were cutting them up.

Making up a lane where there:
a. isnt room for one and
b. is no inclination which lane joins it
Is just a recipe for disaster.

SethHowarthsHair
04-12-2014, 02:19 PM
I'll be honest it could have been me that cut you up, I have done it twice now, :D The detail you have given me should help, it has been over complicated for my small brain.

ProfesssorPiehead
04-12-2014, 02:54 PM
I quickly lose count of how many times my sweary co-worker utters the C word whenever we negotiate this roundabout

ClaretTony2014
04-12-2014, 03:26 PM
The chaos has held up a friend of mine today who was on his way to Blackburn hospital in an ambulance with his brother.

The paramedics were aware of the situation and opted to head towards Brierfield and join the M65 there.

The Bedlington Terrier
04-12-2014, 04:46 PM
No accountability is the problem!

loyalclaret
04-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Was thinking about going towards Brierfield tomorrow morning, so was the West bound m65 blocked in both lanes or just the lefthand lane for junction 10?

This morning I turned off the road after Mc Donalds, went up Coal Clough Lane I think and came out near the old Woodtop, onto Accrington Road.

Joke getting in and out of Burnley at the minute. How come the first roundabout was done by the council workers/LCC and the second by a private company?

Wembley09
05-12-2014, 06:43 AM
Driving there after work in morning, so easy to just carry on straight through.. don't expect lights and head is on auto-pilot.

Will get used to it I guess, but is there really a need for so many bloody traffic lights that have been added there?

The only place that really could have done with lights, is the accrington road exit part.

loyalclaret
05-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Might have it lucky, but was very clear 8:30 this morning, leaving Burnley for the M65

bfcjg
05-12-2014, 09:24 PM
Hopefully they have synchronised the lights better, or like me everyone has gone to town via Lowerhouse and up Rossy Road, hope it's the former.