View Full Version : Vehicle tax question - new car

04-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Hi everyone,

Could do with some advice on vehicle tax if that's ok...

In a nutshell, I'm purchasing a vehicle this weekend.

The car I currently drive, will be kept and GIVEN to my partner, who is already ad driver on the vehicle.

Her tax runs out on her own vehicle and will be getting sold, most likely for scrap.

The theory...

Do I claim the tax back on my current vehicle (despite my partner being ad driver) and then get her to tax the vehicle in her own, at the same time as having the vehicle transferred to her by law? OR is there another procedure where the tax office can transfer the tax internally from my to hers, due to us living at the same address and sharing the vehicle anyway?



04-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Pretty sure all you need to transfer to her is the registration document . DVLA will have the reg no anyway and will be able to see that it's taxed and has a current MOT . The tax is on the vehicle and not the owner I'm pretty sure .

04-12-2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks Lotty

Appreciate it.

04-12-2014, 03:15 PM
It used to be how Lotty said - the tax was on the car so could be transferred between owners. It changed on 1st October (when all the tax discs stopped & you could pay monthly) so that tax cannot be transferred with ownership of the car anymore. Whether that applies as it's in the same household I'm not sure though.

You can just change owners and they'll let you know what needs to be done. Failing that, leave the car in your until the tax runs out, if she's insured, there shouldn't be a problem.

04-12-2014, 03:18 PM
Sorry didn't know it had changed .:D

04-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Never assume ANYTHING with the DVLA. Common and sense dont appear in any dictionary owned by the DVLA.

You are better off telling them what you are proposing to do, and keep hold of any documentation they send with regards to your proposal.

04-12-2014, 04:27 PM
You could give DVLA a ring, I have always found them helpful. 0300 790 6802

04-12-2014, 04:54 PM
Tried posting this reply once but it dissappeared, well I am in Egypt.
Vehicle tax ends automatically when the vehicle is sold, transferred or given or scrapped. When the old and new owners complete the Vehicle Document (logbook) and send the bits off to DVLA, they will send a cheque ot to the previous owner of ech full months tax that was left on the vehicle. New owner has to tax the vehicle from day one or SORN it.

04-12-2014, 05:25 PM
Why not leave the car in your ? Changing owner will reduce the value when you sell it on

04-12-2014, 05:38 PM
John - whatever you do keep a copy of anything you do in writing.

04-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Or just s sticker in the window, Tax In Post??

Worked for Del Boy...
And he worked himself up to a Roller!!!

Now the new system,..
If your cheque bounces, Are you taxed or not?

04-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks everyone. Will call DVLA tomorrow.

Best wishes


04-12-2014, 09:59 PM
the V5 shows the registered keeper of the vehicle, who may not be the "owner" so you can give the car to your partner without changing the details on the V5.
You will however remain liable for parking penalties which can now be levied on the keeper even if not using the car at the time of the transgression, and you will receive notices of speeding penalties etc :-)
Some insurance companies also query the situation if the registered keeper is not the main driver - and this can have an effect on premiums if they dont take the time to understand your domestic situation (or have a web site which doesnt ask the right questions)

Yu will need to sort the insurance anyway assuming that your partner has her own policy for her car and is only ad driver on your policy.

If you do decide to transfer the keeper the the road tax is refunded to you when the v5 is sent in. Your partner will have to tax at the date of transfer. This can be doen online phone using the reference number on the

04-12-2014, 10:12 PM
I have just changed cars and they automatically send out the refund on your previous tax. They will probably send you a refund for it and it will have to be re-taxed.

04-12-2014, 11:41 PM
The new rules mean effectively in the month the car is sold the DVLA receives the tax for that month twice.
Once from the original owner and once for the 2nd owner.Refunds are only given for full months.
Why do you think they changed the system ?
Revenue generation

05-12-2014, 07:02 AM
Keep it in your and just continue with the tax that's on it. We have a car owned by me with my wife as the main driver. It was my car and I passed it on like you are doing. I didn't want to show a change of owner on the V5 so I called the insurer just to make sure that I could pass it on without registering it in my wife's. They were OK with that and agreed to put a note on the policy record that I have cleared it with them. Saved a lot of messing about.