PDA

View Full Version : Duff or Keane

jojomk1
05-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Not sure what Duff's fitness situation is for Sat but if ok then he would be in the starting 11 for me
Much more of a stronger presence than Keane who, whilst looks promising, also looks as if her could do with putting on a few pounds
Also Charlie failed to produce much against us last year with Shackell and Duff in partnership
Given his current form and goals it's ***** that we do the same again tomorrow and then I fancy 3 points

ClaretTony2014
05-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Duff is out according to reports

SethHowarthsHair
05-12-2014, 10:49 AM
If we are planning to make Keane's signing permanent, I'd like him to continue playing. We have to start planning for the future, as this could well be Duff's last season. I think Keane will improve with confidence.

PapaBendi
05-12-2014, 10:56 AM
They caused us big problems in the air from corners at their place last season and with Austin and Zamora in their team this time, there will be a big threat from set pieces we will have to find a way of countering.

lancaster100
05-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Either player is OK with me. Duff has the experience and to my surprise has played out of his skin and certainly deserves his place. As far as Keane is concerned he is also fine but I don't like the noises that are being attributed to him i.e. that he is missing United and wished he had stayed at Utd as he might have got a chance. So it seems like is heart is with Utd. Thats fair enough but Keane may not have his heart at Burnley

ClaretTony2014
05-12-2014, 11:09 AM
He hasn't said he's missing United. He admitted that he would have got more game time had he stayed and was gutted to miss out on playing.

I_Wood_Lovett
05-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Michael Duff for me - although he was at fault for both Doyle's and Dunne's goals last time.

Boliclaret
05-12-2014, 11:15 AM
I don't like the noises that are being attributed to him i.e. that he is missing United and wished he had stayed at Utd as he might have got a chance.

I'd be surprised if thats true, he's got a great opportunity with us at Premier League level.

Not only that but he hasn't convinced me yet. Looked good in his substitute appearances but was caught out of position against Villa first half and was all over the shop at times in the 2nd half v Toon. Probably needs more playing time to develop a better understanding with Shackell and get more up to speed.

In terms of playing for a top 4 side he certainly doesn't look of that standard.

Edit, I hadn't seen CT's post.

Colburn_Claret
05-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Keanes faster and we need pace, Duff has a lot more nous about the game.
Keane will only get better for playing on a regular basis. He needs as much game time as poss, the same for any young player.
If fit I would have played Duff on Saturday because he knows what to expect from Charlie. As he is out anyway then it's irrelevant.

lancaster100
05-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Well according to Sky Sport it says To see those young players playing there, while Im happy for them, Im also obviously gutted that it wasnt me, It is just an indicator of thought processes,

dsr
05-12-2014, 11:38 AM
He said that he'd rather be playing for Man United's first team than sitting on Burnley's bench.

Is that controversial?

nil_desperandum
05-12-2014, 11:46 AM
You beat me to it dsr.
Given Man Utds exceptional list of injured centre backs, he would most likely have got games there whilst he was sat on the Burnley bench, but of course he wasn't to know that when he signed.
He would have looked stupid if he'd claimed to be happy sat on the bench at Burnley whilst he could have been playing first team football at Old Trafford.
Long term though he is better off here.

ashtonlongsider
05-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Re the original thread, I would take Duff over Keane. Duff and Shackell have formed a wonderful partnership, the best since Waldron and Thompson. Not knocking Keane as I feel he is improving with every game. I personally don't feel he would make the 1st team at United and long term has greater chance of regular football with us.

claretspice
05-12-2014, 04:07 PM
If we're playing a crunch game tomorrow (just so happens we are) and everyone's fit, then at present its Duff without any question whatsoever. He's more solid and reliable.

That said, I don't think Keane's done too badly and I've no real qualms about him playing tomorrow (though he'll have to show he's learned fast to hold an offside line or Austin will be all over it). Sure he's looked very raw at times but nonetheless we've played against two teams in the last week who have looked to have the ability to cut through us at times, and in those games Heaton has ultimately had remarkably little to do. I can't really accept that that is in spite of one of the centre backs.

I said on another thread last night that he looks to me to have something to work with and he has the potential to end up a better player than Duff ever was. He's a big and powerful unit (as good in the air I suspect as any centre half at Burnley in years) and whilst he might not be the quickest, he looks capable to me

AdrianDent
05-12-2014, 04:52 PM
According to the Guardian today he'll be on his way out of OT as United rebuild with record breaking transfer spending.

SussexDon1
05-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Sean Dyche said in his latest press interview (which I really look forward ro each week) that Duffo is still out this weekend.

So that leaves Keano presumably to get another game unless SD brings in Kevin Long or puts Ben Mee in the middle and Daniel Lafferty at left back.

UTC