PDA

View Full Version : Whelan does it again

oldcolner
05-12-2014, 09:08 PM
New comments about calling Chinese restaurants chingalings in his day likely to haunt him. Seems he has foot in mouth disease - view external link (www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30353141)

DiBraidio
05-12-2014, 09:21 PM
This is bonkers.

When I was a student I lived in a house with a couple of black South African lads. One would turn to the other and say "Pass me a beer N*****" which I found really annoying because if I said the same thing I would be classed as a racist and could get kicked out of University if they complained.

Of course if I was Whelan and I told the story there would be headlines saying "Whelan calls black people N*****s".

He does however need to shut his mouth. Yes it was like that in the 70s but ffs stop digging that hole man or you're going to end up in Oz.

I've edited that because I was surprised that the N word isn't starred out I just assumed it would be because it's offensive.

bfcjg
05-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Silly white spook pillock, keep it shut old man.

oldcolner
05-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Many of us used words in the 50s and 60s that now offend someone, some people are offensive and some people are too easily offended.
It's difficult to get a balanced view these days. Easier to say nowt I suppose as you suggest.

daveisaclaret
05-12-2014, 09:34 PM
Isn't it also just easy not to use any racial epithets though?

DiBraidio
05-12-2014, 09:52 PM
davisaclaret. It is, and that's clearly what Whelan should do.

The problem is he's saying we used to say "x" to refer to "y" and the press are saying Whelan calls "y" "x".

He's in a no win situation. He just needs to stop apologising and let it drop.

A few days ago I read an article about Richard Flash from the UCFB, he talked about his mum taking him to watch the "three degrees" playing for West Brom. Ron Atkinson was the first manager in England to play 3 black players in his team and yet now he's vilified as a racist because he used the N word in what he believed was an off-mike conversation.

I find it curious that Ron's career is finished and yet Quentin Tarantino is still working and he uses the word in every other sentence.

daveisaclaret
05-12-2014, 09:58 PM
He's really not in a no win situation. He could apologise for saying stupid, racist things and win. It's honestly as simple as that.

Ron Atkinson called Marcel Desailly a "lazy n*****" - he could have fielded a team of 12 black players and he'd still be a nasty racist. No bizarre comparisons to film makers can change that, I think.

DiBraidio
05-12-2014, 10:15 PM
daveisaclaret,

I didn't suggest he was in a no win situation. I suggested he should just shut up.

Of course Whelan's lexicon is unacceptable but why is it not offensive for the press to reproduce his ill chosen words?

I don't think the comparison is bizarre, Tarantino uses offensive racist language all the time in his films and his films are passed by the sensors and are shown on British televion yet Atkinson's career was ended by one comment. I don't know if Atkinson is a racist. I don't know the man.

daveisaclaret
05-12-2014, 10:21 PM
There's always a chance I'm going crazy (seriously, there is) but I'm pretty sure the third line of post #6 begins "He's in a no win situation" and to me that reads like a suggestion that Dave Whelan is in a no win situation.

I also don't know of any reasons to call someone a "lazy n*****" other than being a racist. Nor do I know that writing films containing racial slurs is the same as using racial slurs against people. If you feel that racially abusing a person and writing films in which terms of racial abuse are used are the same thing, that's fine. I'm not here to explain that difference. But it basically boils down to a choice between thinking either Ron Atkinson should be allowed to racially abuse someone or thinking films featuring terms of racial abuse should be banned.

claret78
05-12-2014, 10:45 PM
Did ron Atkinson racially abuse someone or did he say something to someone else not realising he was still on air?

daveisaclaret
05-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Both of the above

bfcjon
05-12-2014, 10:58 PM
Who is the worst?,

Whelan or Coyle,...Not much in it for me!!

jordan12rhodes
05-12-2014, 11:07 PM
all tarantino films should be banned, as theyre bloody awful.. movies for the braindead..

DiBraidio
05-12-2014, 11:10 PM
Oops. Apparently I did use the phrase he's in a no win situation. I didn't scroll back up far enough. :D What I meant by that was that talking about what words used to be used and how people used to feel about it isn't the right way to apologise for causing offence and he's never going to win people over by doing that. Obviously what he needs to do is say sorry and stop being offensive.

You know. My dad is extremely offended by the F word and the C word. That's his upbringing, for him swearing in front of ladies is totally unacceptable. Instead he would use bloody and Jesus and other blasphemous words. As a young man I had a girlfriend who's father was a vicar he told me that he found blasphemy far more offensive than swearing, he'd much rather that I say oh **** than oh god.

What's the point of that story, well, to me there are two things. The lexicon that you use and the intention behind your words. The vicar was using **** in exactly the same way that my dad was using

mdd2
05-12-2014, 11:19 PM
Whatever happened to "sticks and stones may brake my bones, but callings wont hurt me"?.

I assume whinging pommes is banned?

tybfc
05-12-2014, 11:32 PM
DiBradio - would it not be nice to ban both?

bodge
05-12-2014, 11:36 PM
I think he'll sack it soon and then it's death by a thousand cuts for the Wiganers.

Wigan v Frickley will be back on the agenda.

oldcolner
05-12-2014, 11:43 PM
Looking increasingly like he will have to resign - after he threatened that another time his mouth opened.

DiBraidio
06-12-2014, 07:07 AM
Tybfc, I don't know how you could implement something like that. By banning certain words I think you'd just end up with the creation of new ones.

I find it very odd. When there was that big row between John Terry and Anton Ferdinand the press were very careful not to print what John Terry said. Yet with Whelan they are repeating everything.

What is good though is that everyone is being made well aware that this sort of language is socially unacceptable.

ollyd
06-12-2014, 07:16 AM
Re. DiBradio's comments I am really surprised to read what his fellow students said and wonder if it was some kind of wind-up.

The word has ( or at least had) no racial reference in RSA. The white supremacists do have a nasty equivalent but it derives from Afrikaans.

One of my favourite songs of all time is Jeremy Taylor's 'Ag pleez Daddy' which not only outsold Elvis but was actually banned by the apartheid government.

Then song is available on UTube and the lyrics are on wiki. They are well worth a look or listen. You may surprised at their equivalent to 'gobstopper'.

CleggHall
06-12-2014, 09:41 AM
The trouble with Whelan is that he is an opinionated, old man successful in business but his friends, employees, associates and family are afraid to tell him to shut the fup. He just keeps digging a bigger hole for himself this "victim" of a broken leg in the FA cup final 100 years ago. Sadly there are a few more of his type around, northern bigots and Thatcherites to the core.

DiBraidio
06-12-2014, 10:56 AM
ollyd, I shared a house with those guys the year before Nelson Mandela was released from prison so we're going back a bit. They were from the Transkei free state and being rich kids they were in the UK to be educated. They were heavily influenced by American culture in the way they dressed and in the music that they listened to. They'd been away from home for about three years when I met them.

It wasn't a one off wind up, it was perhaps originally supposed to be ironic but I guess with time it just became habitual.