PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phones on the Turf

DolceBFC
05-12-2014, 10:47 PM
This is a real annoyance which i just want to share!

Can not stand it when people around me are on their phone throughout the game. Once or twice is fair enough as people may be awaiting an important text or email, but the other night there was a load of students near me with most of them constantly checking ******** and Twitter etc, one lad probably only caught 10mins of the match his head was down on his phone that match!!

gogogadgetlegs
05-12-2014, 10:53 PM
Think you need Harmony Hairspray - view external link (http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2110466137)

Imploding Turtle
06-12-2014, 06:23 AM
Why do you care? What's it got to do with you if someone else is on their phone? Is their phone blocking your view of the match? Quit your whining.

Claretforever
06-12-2014, 07:10 AM
As has been said, it's nothing to do with you if they've paid their money. I'm not sure how they could be on it all game though, you can't get a signal from 2.45pm onwards on a Saturday.

I only use mine to try to check scores, but it's useless.

hampsteadclaret
06-12-2014, 08:06 AM
I bet you stand behind your twitching curtains in your curlers, tut-tutting about kids playing football in the street, or cars parked too near your front gate..:D

Coyled_Spring
06-12-2014, 08:33 AM
And did you only catch around 10 minutes of the game due to watching kids on their phones? Now who's the p*lok?

superdimitri
06-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Its modern football hooligism at its best. They were checking the latest score for the rovers game and scheduling there meetup/fight on Google Plus.

Imploding Turtle
06-12-2014, 08:52 AM
"Its modern football hooligism at its best. They were checking the latest score for the rovers game and scheduling there meetup/fight on Google Plus."

That's a really offensive and unfair thing to say about our town's youths, no one uses Google Plus.

spunkybackpack21
06-12-2014, 08:57 AM
Fair play to them getting a signal on the Turf because I never bloody can.

dushanbe
06-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Up until October I was with 02 which was hopeless on the Turf. However, having swapped to EE 4G, I can use data no problem. I find it great for annoying tutting shoulder surfers.

spunkybackpack21
06-12-2014, 09:29 AM
You can barely get a 3G signal on o2 in Burnley Town Centre, generally. Really poor.

nil_desperandum
06-12-2014, 09:43 AM
It's quite an interesting point really.
Using mobile phones at events is generally inappropriate.
It's generally banned in theatres and at similar events, but I've seen people do it - much to the annoyance of those around them.
I consider it completely unacceptable at the cinema too, and have berated people for it on more than one occasion. Some people treat the cinema as though its their own front room.
A football ground is not quite the same thing, but I must admit I would be pretty irritated if the person behind or in front of me spent half the game talking loudly to someone on the phone about matters completely unrelated to the game. Trying to access score updates on data would not really worry me though, and I have tried to do it myself, but no one near us ever seems to be able to get a signal.

blackburnturfite
06-12-2014, 10:24 AM
As Dushanbe says, my network is O2 and I find this network useless, I would like to start a Topic, what Network can I try to pick up Football scores! when I hear supporters keeping up to date with our rivals and my screens blank.;D

claret78
06-12-2014, 10:30 AM
PSV fans felt so strongly against the provision of Wifi at the ground they had demonstrated against it earlier this season. - view external link (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/18/psv-fans-protest-against-wifi-access)

Claretforever
06-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Just like Blackburnturfite and Dushanbe, I'm with O2 and it's useless anywhere near the Turf on a match day, and Burnley in general unless you're lucky in certain spots. It's always in and out in any case.

The guy next to me stated 'ha, it works' when looking for the scores against Villa, which got my attention. It was because he'd recently moved onto the EE network. The Vodafone network was also pants when I was on that.

EE seems to be the way to go.

enola_gay
06-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Vodaphone is rubbish on the Turf as well.

Slightly disconcerted to hear that 02 is generally rubbish, I was thinking of switching to them.

DolceBFC
06-12-2014, 12:45 PM
I agree they have paid the money so they can spend the time on their phone if they wish. It just bugs me as i know there would be plenty of people who would love their seat and actually watch and support the team. One lad clearly wasn't a Burnley fan aswell, which kinda pished me off.

Alp12Mac
06-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Having recently renewed with O2 I'll be keeping my phone firmly in my pocket!

I rarely get a decent O2 3g connection anywhere outside a 'big' town or city.

I think I'll look elsewhere - in 22 months time :(