PDA

View Full Version : Late Game Substitutes - Odd Decisions?

gondiwindi
27-12-2014, 01:44 AM
Everyone including myself knows that Sean Dyche and his management team are already Burnley legends, but in watching our games I can't but help grinding my teeth at our strategic sub use late on in games. Take today for instance, why use a sub in the 93rd minute? Brendan must have counted his lucky stars when we took time off the clock ourselves with a sub in the last minute.

Going the other way, I noticed this during the Southampton game. We were hanging on to a 1 goal lead and with 2 subs left, the full injury time was played out vs. using subs to take time off the game. That late header from Wanyama should have gone in, but shouldn't have happened with 2 minutes milked off the clock via strategic substitutes.

Bin_Ont_Turf
27-12-2014, 01:55 AM
'Take today for instance, why use a sub in the 93rd minute?'

It couldn't have anything to do with Mee struggling to run could it?

gondiwindi
27-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Maybe. I get swapping a defender for an attacker when you are down a goal and have a good presence in the game. Maybe that swap could have happen with 10 or 5 mins of normal time left?

Again, not trying to second guess with the benefit of hindsight but just seems like something that is obvious.

The Bedlington Terrier
27-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Substitutions either work out or they don't but SD does pick some odd moments!