PDA

View Full Version : Has Dyche proven he should be given some real money?

LClaret
27-12-2014, 02:19 PM
He's clearly shown he can get a team to play well in the Premiership and put up a fight against more or less any team in the division.

We're just lacking a bit of quality - if the Board put in a bit they might get 70 million in return?

ClaretTony2014
27-12-2014, 02:20 PM
"if the Board put in a bit"

That suggestion continues to amaze me

LClaret
27-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Why? It's a simple enough question.

I can completely understand not betting the family silver on staying up but even freeing up some money for a few loan signings might make the difference.

Sidney1st
27-12-2014, 04:07 PM
We can't sign anyone else on loan can we?

Unless Keane and Chabolah either sign permanent deals or return to their parent clubs.

ClaretTony2014
27-12-2014, 04:09 PM
"Why? It's a simple enough question."

It was your suggestion that the board put a bit in.

The Bedlington Terrier
27-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Would it be ridiculous to suppose that we have around TEN million pounds to spend without the sale of Danny Ings? If that estimate is correct SD and the purchasing team will surely have their targets set?

garfunkal
27-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Jutkiewicz, Sordell,Taylor,and Reid , wasted 2 million and upwards of 50k a week on wages ,that's what happens when you try to do things on the cheap

ashtonlongsider
27-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Think we've been unlucky with Taylor's injury. I think he'll prove a good buy. I'm still unsure about Jutkiewicz. Don't disagree with your comment on the other two. Just think SD was backed into a corner and needed bodies to make up the squad. Don't think he'd have taken either Reid or Sordell if he hadn't worked with them previously.

garfunkal
27-12-2014, 05:11 PM
The Reid signing in particular made no sense at all , injury hit throughout his career he ain't going to get any better with age , Sordell not even championship level , disappointed with Jutkiewicz slow and doesn't score goals , hopefully Taylor can come good but again age is against him .

Patey
27-12-2014, 05:24 PM
If the board have spare cash to invest, it will already be invested.

Perhaps they could raise some money on their properties but so could you. Will you, I think not because it's a bit risky.

Ted Downing-Street
27-12-2014, 05:35 PM
"He's clearly shown he can get a team to play well in the Premiership"

That's all well and good but we're playing in the Premier League.

Bin_Ont_Turf
27-12-2014, 05:50 PM
'that's what happens when you try to do things on the cheap'

And if you go to the other end of the spectrum you end up mid table in the Championship getting beat by the likes of Rotherham and Brentford, whilst losing nearly £40 million a year, having transfer embargo against you and letting fat ageing forwards who hardly play score against you.

Caernarfon_Claret
27-12-2014, 05:54 PM
I still think he should only be given monopoly money, you can't really trust anyone with ginger hair and a gruff voice.

westyorkclaret
27-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Need a bit of perspective here - We are doing better than most expected at the moment without spending a fortune.

Few a small investment, there are areas in the team that can be improved (a couple of under-performers in the starting 11 and no real bench to speak of).

Not expecting the directors to put any cash of their on in but to use some of the cash from the promotion - not loads, but add some experienced battlers.

Mind you, if a few of our injuries cleared up, we may already have that

Jamb0MackemClaret
28-12-2014, 09:30 AM
Think SD recently said that we're quite cash-rich at the minute, so there might be money to spend. On the flip side, you could argue Kightly and Jutkiewicz have been flops with only Boyd an unqualified success of his bigger cash summer signings.

garfunkal
28-12-2014, 09:41 AM
And most irrelevant comparison of the year award goes to BOT
Well done son , keep it up .

Sidney1st
28-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Why is it irrelevant ?

Yes we are doing things on the cheap, so to speak, but Rovers chucked everything they had , and more, at staying in the PL and look where they've ended up.

warksclaret
28-12-2014, 10:04 AM
YES !!!

First task is buy or extend Keanes stay.He is a good and known quantity-and an investment

Secondly central midfield-we have been so lucky with injuries. We need to give Jones some competition.In too many games we are unable to freshen things up, and Marney is a collector of yellow cards

Maybe a utility back four player as per Chris Baird.We are vulnerable with injuries or suspension, and possibly cover for Ben Mee who seems out of sorts

A direct wide man like Chris Commons would help Ings & Vokes

There are good people around who are not getting games ie Chris Wood, Nick Powell of Leicester

Chaloboah to be released dread to think what he has cost us per minute

Hope SD gets some support-he has done miracles so far

claret78
28-12-2014, 10:09 AM
It's irrelevant because Rovers "chucked everything and more" . Where has any burnley fan ever asked us to do that?

Let's go back to last January where fans we're crying out for a smidgen of investment whilst being shouted down by a good number. If the board hadn't shelled out for Ashley Barnes do you think we'd be about to face the Champions of England 60 million better off?

The board frucked up last Summer- they have chance to redeem themselves but I'm not confident in the slightest.

wherewasi
28-12-2014, 10:11 AM
And what's 'real money'? For me, we have 3 areas where we are sufficiently weak that it makes a material difference to our chances of staying up; left-back, central midfield and a goal scorer. That's before you start wondering what would happen if Shackell got injured.

So let's go and get 3 players that have a real likelihood of making a difference. Even assumingthey can be persuaded to come to Burnley, that's (my guess) £6M for a proven left-back (Aaron Cresswell was £4M in the summer), £7-10M centre-midfield (Fer was £8M, Rodwell £10M, McCarthur £7M) and you can start anywhere at £12-15M for a centre-forward (Shane Long £12M - does he guarantee you staying up? Valencia at West Ham was £12M)

So, say, £25M in fees plus 3 x 3 year deals @ £50k / week plus agents' fees etc... you've just spent £50M to make £70M with no guarantee and if you don't get lucky you've ended up with Siem de Jong (injured on day 1 at Newcastle), Graziano Pelle (2 goals in the last 10 games) and Alberto Mor

wherewasi
28-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Can't believe some of the suggestions on this; if they were bought, they are exactly the sorts of signings that would see the board castigated for aiming too low... the last post just suggested Chris Baird, Chris 'Kris' Commons, Chris Wood and Nick 'What if we call you Chris, just to keep it clear?' Powell. Not that I mind those players as options but are they materially different to what we have?

ets
28-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Most definitely deserves a war chest, but what he will get is anybodies guess. Worth some kind of punt given that we are still we'll in with a chance of survival IMO.

In Dyche we trust ;D

UTC!

claret78
28-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Just spending 'money' would do me. Correct me if I'm wrong but did Howe not buy Ings Austin and Shackell for less than 3 million? They're now worth over 30!!

Sidney1st
28-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Now worth over £30?

Please tell me you didn't mean £30million? XD

The Bedlington Terrier
28-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Austin £15,000,000, Ings £12,000,000, Shackell at£3,000,000, sounds about right to me!

claret78
28-12-2014, 10:44 AM
30 million was being conservative!!!!!

Bin_Ont_Turf
28-12-2014, 11:07 AM
'Well done son , keep it up'

I'll bet you're one of those who throws all the bankers money up in the air when you lose at Monopoly.

Dejavu2014
28-12-2014, 01:19 PM
If we don't spend £10 -15M in the transfer window all the teams around us will and we will be all but certainties to go down. It's gotta be worth the risk IMO.