PDA

View Full Version : Swearing

Springfield Quark
02-01-2015, 09:01 AM
There is a swearing issue at the other place such that someone even suggested bringing back the swear filter.

For those connoisseurs of the swear filters here is the data. The proboards (theCumbrians.net) swear filter is a first generation one which can be defeated by the use of the HTML 'soft hyphen'. FootyMad used such a swear filter until they dicovered that some evil blighters were defeating it. FootyMad now uses a second generation swear filter which cannot be defeated by any ****er.

griff
02-01-2015, 09:14 AM
I have a different attitude to the mods over there who seem to be trying to remove real life from their board. Fair enough, it's their board. I'm not in favour of massive censorship unless there is an obvious and immediate legal reason.

I'm banned from the barcodes board for complaining about their censorship a few years back. They weren't banning folk for swearing, or homophobic or racist comments, they were banning folk for pointing out that they'd just got relegated. And for likening their actions to the Germans burning books before WW2 because they didn't like the views expressed in them.

I'm banned from the Celtic board for daring to complain strongly about a post which was a blatant IRA recruiting literature.

The point is that with overt censorship, once you start you don't know where to stop, because there's always someone who will object to something and you can't please everyone. And, as I said, it's not real life, is it?

Piglet_Phoenix
02-01-2015, 11:08 AM
I think Griff's attitude is the right one.

Too many in the Griff role, on whatever board, see themselves of some sort of moral / ethical paragon of virtue handing out arbitrary bans, editing posts willy nilly - generally enjoying a power trip as their lives are so insignificant in the "real world".

People swear, people say uncomfortable things - to try and hide this away helps nobody.

FellowTraveler
02-01-2015, 02:55 PM
It is very naughty to swear in public and only the most vulgar of persons swear in public.

But for some reason, I'm drawn to them.

EG I sometimes get a woodie when Quark is being vulgar on here. He so is powerful when he does it.

Read somewhere, that most of these swearie programs are developed in Asia by 2nd language speakers.

Explaining why, they are at times quite bizarre in their exclusions of particular words.

They must use slang/urban dictionaries to develop these programs. Often, removing everyday normal words that may have some abstract/obscure naughty slang usages somewhere. Certainly, ones I'm not aware of being naughty.