PDA

View Full Version : Football trains specials

theentertainer
02-01-2015, 07:35 PM
Know things have moved on but i cant help but things were better in the old days! Who were on the football special trains to Barnsley and York in the 70s.Masbro station full with fans on football specials.
Home games FA cup rosettes sold outside the ground from a stall near moulders home and away teams.Time moves on but to me theses were special days regardless of results.Orange ball midweek matches in the snow Fxxking loved it !!!!

Brin
02-01-2015, 07:52 PM
Sad thing I recall about football specials was when a Millers fan was killed if I recall either late 60's or very early 70's...lad by the of Terry Walsh was coming back from Sheffield when he either fell or was pushed off a train...I'm sure no one was ever charged with his death...

At the time I lived on Shelly Road, Herringthorpe, remember from there I was only young at the time so it may be when I moved to East Herringthorpe when it occurred...

Archiemiller
02-01-2015, 09:11 PM
The ones i always remember are F.A Cup Burnley and Wolves 64/65 then Spurs 73? departed from 3 different stations Rawmarsh n Parkgate,Rotherham Central and Rotherham Masbro,packed full even goods wagon,always enjoyed Football specials in 60s Derby,Leeds,Hudders,Grimsby,Scunny always had great away following.Return fares for above teams(which were all simular mileage)was between 3/9 and 4/6d,them were the daysXD XD

Gainsbro_Miller
02-01-2015, 10:57 PM
The ones i always remember are F.A Cup Burnley and Wolves 64/65 then Spurs 73? departed from 3 different stations Rawmarsh n Parkgate,Rotherham Central and Rotherham Masbro,packed full even goods wagon,always enjoyed Football specials in 60s Derby,Leeds,Hudders,Grimsby,Scunny always had great away following.Return fares for above teams(which were all simular mileage)was between 3/9 and 4/6d,them were the daysXD XD

I remember that white coats (clock work orange??) masks (millwall F troop) etc from 70's.

Train trip wise,
Hull dropped off right outside way end and Wadsley Bridge for Wednesday wasn't too bad but others like Chessy n York seemed to take longer to walk from station to ground than actual train journey!!!!

millersontour
03-01-2015, 06:35 AM
frickley away in the FA cup stands out in my mind early January it snowed on the way back,when the special arrived we were hurded up the street towards the ground to be met by another large number of millers, when we got to the ground a massive surge saw the two guys in the metal ticket boxes overturn and people just entered willy nilly ,there was a lot of disturbance that day aswell some Donny whites along with the frickley numpties.