PDA

View Full Version : OT Ched ... Again

HerbieCobbler
02-01-2015, 09:12 PM
Has been offered a contract by Maltese club, Hibernian.

gramiller1959
07-01-2015, 12:50 PM
oldham deal agreed :(

millertop
07-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Expect sponsors to pull out and fans arguing

fivetide
07-01-2015, 01:00 PM
Just seen that.

Apparently he was never going to be able to sign for an overseas club. He's on the sex offenders register and on license for the rest of his sentence. He wouldn't be able to go without express permission from his parole officer.

gramiller1959
07-01-2015, 01:47 PM
if he is found not guilty at his hearing ! it will be a good signing for Oldham, if he is found guilty still they can get ready for protests :/

someone did ask him which is the best way to Oldham ?

he replied "round the neck generally" :O

millmoorlane
07-01-2015, 02:40 PM
He doesn't have a hearing. He doesn't have an appeal (he lost that in 2012).

His case is being reviewed. That will decide if he's allowed another appeal.

There's thousands of them a year and about 2% get a chance to appeal again. Of the ones allowed to appeal, almost all lose the appeal.

Its very, very, very unlikely that he'll be found innocent on appeal.

fivetide
07-01-2015, 02:44 PM
if he is found not guilty at his hearing ! it will be a good signing for Oldham, if he is found guilty still they can get ready for protests :/

someone did ask him which is the best way to Oldham ?

he replied "round the neck generally" :O

That's terrible.

No truth in the rumours they'll be changing the to Oldham Down though...

DavidR__9
07-01-2015, 02:56 PM
And, even if he succeeds in getting his case reviewed and his conviction overturned, there'll still be an argument about his "innocence".

The essential facts aren't disputed. In fact, much of the case against him was derived from what he freely admitted to the police and in his own evidence in chief (let alone what came out in cross-examination).

He effectively admits being indifferent/not thinking about whether the girl did or didn't consent. He just assumed that she did consent (part of his reasoning, as he said at the trial was that "he could have had anyone he wanted" in the nightclub). She couldn't recall anything. The jury found, though, that her state of drunkenness was such that he couldn't reasonably assume consent.

In short, on his own case, he thinks it's ok to turn up to a hotel room where your mate is with a girl he's pulled (he having texted Evans - who was on his way home - to let him know this, blag a key (because he didn't have one), go into the room and assume the

ScarboroughMiller
07-01-2015, 04:18 PM
One thing that will be very interesting is how it will affect the attendances, that will be something the club need to look closely at, sponsors have already distanced themselves from the club and withdrawn their backing, but how will the fans react?

millmoorlane
07-01-2015, 05:47 PM
I'll not be going as an away fan again.

I know a couple of small local businesses who do things like sponsor players kits, matchday sponsors etc and they're both done with the club (one is even looking at Rochdale!!).

Don't think they've realised quite how toxic he is.

Edit : autocorrect putting fine with the club rather than done with the club... Ffs.

LiAmOfRuFc
07-01-2015, 10:57 PM
Did anybody else see this piece of journalism from the BBC? I found it disgusting. And for the record I'm not at all fighting Evans corner, quite the opposite. I just thought this was very unprofessional indeed. - view external link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30698618)

fivetide
08-01-2015, 09:26 AM
Don't Oldham have form though? Weren't they the first team to sign up that vile bag of skin and bone Lee Hughes when he came out of prison?

John2
08-01-2015, 09:35 AM
Did anybody else see this piece of journalism from the BBC? I found it disgusting. And for the record I'm not at all fighting Evans corner, quite the opposite. I just thought this was very unprofessional indeed.

Disgusted?!? Can I ask why?

fivetide
08-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Oldham have decided against it.

Apparently Ched starts Monday. Doesn't take no for an answer.

millertop
08-01-2015, 12:12 PM
The deal is off after the board and sponsors received death threats :(

Now I'm glad it's off but they shouldn't bow to idiots sending death threats >:(

the_idiotb_stardson
08-01-2015, 12:15 PM
Why don't the people who are hounding Evans every move, spend their time lobbying for a change in the law?

The move is off now amid threats to sstaff at Oldham.

Someone has threatened to rape an Oldham FC staff member if Evans signs, so the deal has collapsed.

To my knowledge Evans served his sentence, a sentence which didn't include being hounded out of any chance you have of earning a living and rebuilding your life.

I am not sure it would be any different for him if he got a job in a warehouse. There would be people giving him grief and watching his every move.

Either you believe in rehabilitation and the justice system or you don't.

If you don't then start up a pressure group or start your own political party.

fivetide
08-01-2015, 12:18 PM
Problem is though, how can you say a person is rehabilitated when they do not accept what they did was a crime?

That's the problem. He thinks what he did was fine. That's a worry because it makes him more likely to do it again.

John2
08-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Either you believe in rehabilitation and the justice system or you don't.

Read post 7 from this October thread. I stand by it. Ched Evans only has himself to blame for not accepting any responsibility, showing any remorse and seeing himself as the victim. That's the sole reason this has dragged on to the extent it has and the primary reason he's so toxic compared to someone like Lee Hughes. - view external link (http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=450&fid=215&sty=2&act=1&mid=2110615867&page=1)

the_idiotb_stardson
08-01-2015, 12:29 PM
Five tide If he says sorry won't that impact on his chances of getting it overturned?

I don't know about the law on that issue.

Do you reckon if he said sorry all the doors would open for him?

I don't.

Its almost as if people think that if they don't sign petitions or hound him out they believe other people will think , that they think he is innocent.

That is not the case.

RawmarshMiller
08-01-2015, 12:36 PM
IBS - correction, the rapist has NOT served his sentence, he is out of prison on licence for the remaining half of his 6 year sentence.

What about the victim?

Does she not have rights?

What about her rights to consent?

What about the rapists supporters threatening her and forcing her to relocate several times and change her identity?

Should we not put her thoughts, feelings and rights first?

The rapist isn't the victim here, he had a choice that evening, he now has to live with that choice.

fivetide
08-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Read post 7 from this October thread. I stand by it. Ched Evans only has himself to blame for not accepting any responsibility, showing any remorse and seeing himself as the victim. That's the sole reason this has dragged on to the extent it has and the primary reason he's so toxic compared to someone like Lee Hughes.

Totally agree with this apart from Hughes who is vile and reveled in the 'murderer' tag.

IBS - you can express remorse without accepting responsibility. For example I am sorry for all those people in France who have been killed. That doesn't mean I did it.

Thing is Evans isn't appealing his conviction, he is appealing whether or not it was a crime. He says it wasn't. Therefore he could have easily said "I don't believe what I did was illegal but I understand that my actions caused Ms XXXXX a lot of emotional distress for which I am sorry" etc etc.

Even a bit of remorse would be helpful. He could be involved with edu

the_idiotb_stardson
08-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Read post 7 from this October thread. I stand by it. Ched Evans only has himself to blame for not accepting any responsibility, showing any remorse and seeing himself as the victim. That's the sole reason this has dragged on to the extent it has and the primary reason he's so toxic compared to someone like Lee Hughes.

Even a bit of remorse would be helpful. He could be involved with education on the matter and all sorts now, trying to make amends/build his reputation. He could be speaking out against binge drinking for example. All sorts.[/quote]

I think that's a good point and a few weeks back I though a statement along these lines would have helped.

scum_triumphant
08-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Why don't the people who are hounding Evans every move, spend their time lobbying for a change in the law?

Someone has threatened to rape an Oldham FC staff member if Evans signs, so the deal has collapsed.

To my knowledge Evans served his sentence, a sentence which didn't include being hounded out of any chance you have of earning a living.

Has he served his sentence? Or has he served half of it in jail and currently serving the other half on licence?

the_idiotb_stardson
08-01-2015, 12:52 PM
IBS - correction, the rapist has NOT served his sentence, he is out of prison on licence for the remaining half of his 6 year sentence.

What about the victim?

Does she not have rights?

What about her rights to consent?

What about the rapists supporters threatening her and forcing her to relocate several times and change her identity?

Should we not put her thoughts, feelings and rights first?

The rapist isn't the victim here, he had a choice that evening, he now has to live with that choice.

Totally agree with most of that but your list of points is problematic of what is happening. It is assumed that because I think the hounding of Evans is wrong then I must not have any thoughts or feelings for the victim. I do and i can't imagine the suffering that she has been through.

My point is that the media attention, the petitions and now the death threats have revealed a big problem with the punishment and response to this ki

the_idiotb_stardson
08-01-2015, 12:54 PM

To my knowledge Evans served his sentence, a sentence which didn't include being hounded out of any chance you have of earning a living.

Has he served his sentence? Or has he served half of it in jail and currently serving the other half on licence?[/quote]

That's the point Scum. If being out on license causes this kind of reaction why bother with it. Is it time to look again at the type of sentence.

fivetide
08-01-2015, 12:56 PM
I think that's a good point and a few weeks back I though a statement along this lines would have helped.

Another thing that would have helped is if he had finished his sentence on license and fought his battle privately.

By trying to get back in the game before either are sorted out, he is bringing this attention on himself.

I appreciate he has a shelf life and needs to be earning but if he had won his review he might then have been able to issue the statement of remorse with no problems because he would have been slightly, only slightly, vindicated.

He'd still be tainted goods but perhaps every article on him wouldn't start with "the convicted rapist..."

John2
08-01-2015, 12:56 PM
Totally agree with this apart from Hughes who is vile and reveled in the 'murderer' tag.

For clarity, I agree 100%, Lee Hughes was vile, I was merely comparing the media circus between him and Ched Evans.

the_idiotb_stardson
08-01-2015, 01:04 PM
I think that's a good point and a few weeks back I though a statement along this lines would have helped.

Another thing that would have helped is if he had finished his sentence on license and fought his battle privately.

By trying to get back in the game before either are sorted out, he is bringing this attention on himself.

I appreciate he has a shelf life and needs to be earning but if he had won his review he might then have been able to issue the statement of remorse with no problems because he would have been slightly, only slightly, vindicated.

He'd still be tainted goods but perhaps every article on him wouldn't start with "the convicted rapist..."[/quote]

Yes I think you are right.

fivetide
08-01-2015, 01:05 PM
For clarity, I agree 100%, Lee Hughes was vile, I was merely comparing the media circus between him and Ched Evans.

Do you remember being at Millmoor and singing "how old did you think she was?" at Graham Rix?

Life before internet there I think. Harder to organise a petition and have thousands across the country sign it.

fivetide
08-01-2015, 01:19 PM
Wow must read the site (or finally hired a decent PR)

Evans apologises:

The 26-year-old said: "Upon legal advice, I was told not to discuss the events in question.
"This silence has been misinterpreted as arrogance and I would like to state that this could not be further from the truth.

"I do remain limited at present by what I can say due to the ongoing referral to the Criminal Cases Review Commission and whilst I continue to maintain my innocence, I wish to make it clear that I wholeheartedly apologise for the effects that night in Rhyl has had on many people, not least the woman concerned.

"Finally, it has been claimed that those using social media in an abusive and vindictive way towards this woman are supporters of mine. I wish to make it clear that these people are not my supporters and I condemn their actions entirely and will continue to do so."

Still a rapist though. - view external link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30727380)

crookadile
08-01-2015, 01:22 PM
BBC now reporting that the deal is off after threats to staff members and their family members.

A club director told BBC sports editor Dan Roan that a staff member was informed ad relative would be raped if the deal went ahead. - view external link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30727729)

LiAmOfRuFc
08-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Did anybody else see this piece of journalism from the BBC? I found it disgusting. And for the record I'm not at all fighting Evans corner, quite the opposite. I just thought this was very unprofessional indeed.

Disgusted?!? Can I ask why?[/quote]

May disgusted is too strong a word. n a nutshell, I just found it slightly disturbing that a corporation as big as the BBC wouldn't think twice about attempting to influence such a serious case. When you look at the possible repercussions in signing Evans (sponsors pulling out), and the appalling way some people are conducting themselves (Oldham have pulled out because there have been threats that ad member of family of a club employee will be raped if they don't), the article is basically pushing for clubs to say 'no we don't want him'. In the event that any hadn't, there would undoubtedly have been headlines reading 'so and so would sig

the_idiotb_stardson
08-01-2015, 02:28 PM
Liam, don't put the BBC on a pedestal they are not worth it.

We are brought up to revere them, auntie beeb etc that they are neutral but they are anything but.

Regarding the treatment of Evans could it be that the Beeb which has had numerous offenders on its books for years (Saville, Harris, Hall) etc wishes to deflect attention from its own sordid past?

CrackersATM
08-01-2015, 02:51 PM
This situation has been a nightmare and in my opinion made worse by the media (mainly the BBC), the football authorites and politicians.

- Why did the media welcome back Lee Hughes (who's actions caused an innocent person to die) and show his goals on TV but hype Ched Evans return and try to influence the outcome.

- Why is the Prime Minister, his cabinet staff and opposition politicians making statements about any football club should think hard before signing Ched Evans. There should be cross party agreement that professional footballers influence kids and therefore they should have the same employment restictions as teachers. We wouldn't let Ched Evans or Lee Hughes supervise children but they can sign autographs and score goals infront of influential kids. Players always in this situation drop a division or 2 so it's likely on the pitch they'll shine.

- If it's been reported true then what type of Moron threatens to rape members of Oldhams staff families if the club sign Ched Eva

crashbang
08-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Just one thing I can't find an answer to.
As I read the reports.
The girl in question couldn't give consent as to alcohol .
Fair one.
There was two people charged, but one was found not guilty.
How does that work.

millmoorlane
08-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Just one thing I can't find an answer to.
As I read the reports.
The girl in question couldn't give consent as to alcohol .
Fair one.
There was two people charged, but one was found not guilty.
How does that work.

Because the jury found that the crown couldn't prove, beyond a reasonable doubt that his mate hadn't reasonably thought that consent had been given at the time (presumably because she went to the hotel with him).

The fact that the jury found she was incapable of giving consent (in order to find Evans guilty) because she was so drunk is a bit irrelevant in the McDonald case. It's not just whether she consented (she couldn't, she was too drunk) but whether he reasonably believed, at the time, that she had consented.

The fact he was found Not Guilty means that there was doubt there.

Evans rocked up at the hotel later on. The jury believed that she was too drunk to have consented and, given her drunken state, it was un

crashbang
08-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Thank you.