PDA

View Full Version : Rotherham Utd through an old fans eyes.

1960smiller
05-01-2015, 12:11 PM
I went to Millmoor with my Dad,2 Uncles & a cousin 1958 I was 6yrs old.Talk about Red & White eyes I only ever saw one team for years.In all those years I never heard my Dad say we are not going this week son we are crap,we are not going because it's only Halifax.You went regardless of how crap are who we played because it was Rotherham Utd,10yrs never missed a home game.Now alas my Dad & 2 uncles have passed away & you will never get fans of today like that.We bang on about DVS how bad it was but I would bet in the 60s,early 70s the crowd would have been 5000, 6000 not 3000.In those days we had local lads play for us,it hurt them as much as us when we lost I don't think it does now.Take our last FA Cup game just over 5000 gate have we not got that in season ticket holders alone,then some go on about extending our ground to 16000 why.We will never average 14000 in my life time fact.We have come a long way but too fast what have we got new ground yes lovely great but deep down what else

NeztheMiller
05-01-2015, 01:11 PM
From one "owd un" to another, well said! ;D

Archiemiller
05-01-2015, 01:57 PM
[quote="1960smiller"]I went to Millmoor with my Dad,2 Uncles & a cousin 1958 I was 6yrs old.Talk about Red & White eyes I only ever saw one team for years.In all those years I never heard my Dad say we are not going this week son we are crap,we are not going because it's only Halifax.You went regardless of how crap are who we played because it was Rotherham Utd,10yrs never missed a home game.Now alas my Dad & 2 uncles have passed away & you will never get fans of today like that.We bang on about DVS how bad it was but I would bet in the 60s,early 70s the crowd would have been 5000, 6000 not 3000.In those days we had local lads play for us,it hurt them as much as us when we lost I don't think it does now.Take our last FA Cup game just over 5000 gate have we not got that in season ticket holders alone,then some go on about extending our ground to 16000 why.We will never average 14000 in my life time fact.We have come a long way but too fast what have we got ne

PeteWaller
05-01-2015, 04:13 PM
I agree with sentiment but we have no choice but to modernise. I'm from the same era so I've seen and experienced all that you have.

We need to increase ground capacity to become sustainable at this level. We need further investment in players to establish a base in the Championship. We need to learn to market this super little club to the many thousands of Rotherham folk who don't follow the Millers.

And for those THAT CAN, you double your season ticket purchase as Me and my Wife have done and take nephews, nieces, mates etc. For those that can't no problem, but you can help increase awareness by spouting off and spreading the word.

I don't believe we can or should rely on TS alone to further the club - we can all do our bit. TS will need additional backing if we are to make it. For the record ... again ... TS is the best Chairman I have witnessed in nearly 60 years of watching RUFC. Good on ya Tony, you deserve our support in more ways than just words

Galant
05-01-2015, 04:15 PM
I started going to millmoor when I was 6 and never miss - season ticket at Millmor, DVS and New York - my son goes with me - he first went when he was 2 - he never misses - season tickets etc - Johnson's paint at DVS - never missed.
The reality is that we have a great stadium and 2 promotions and not lost our great manager to a bigger club or had to sell players to balance the books - massive improvement. The fan base is growing all the time - look at the sales for the next Bournemouth match - it will be close to a home sell out and has been for the past5 or 6 matches - down at the bottom end but adjusting to the most competitive 2nd tier that any Rotherham team has ever been in.
We are definitely 1 step back and 2 steps forward - looking forward to the rest of the season - who will we get in? where will we finish - can we catch the owls? will we need a win at Leeds on the last day again to stay up? when can I buy next season's season ticket - who can we attract in the close season - w

BradfordFozzie
05-01-2015, 04:17 PM
[quote="1960smiller"]I went to Millmoor with my Dad,2 Uncles & a cousin 1958 I was 6yrs old.Talk about Red & White eyes I only ever saw one team for years.In all those years I never heard my Dad say we are not going this week son we are crap,we are not going because it's only Halifax.You went regardless of how crap are who we played because it was Rotherham Utd,10yrs never missed a home game.Now alas my Dad & 2 uncles have passed away & you will never get fans of today like that.We bang on about DVS how bad it was but I would bet in the 60s,early 70s the crowd would have been 5000, 6000 not 3000.In those days we had local lads play for us,it hurt them as much as us when we lost I don't think it does now.Take our last FA Cup game just over 5000 gate have we not got that in season ticket holders alone,then some go on about extending our ground to 16000 why.We will never average 14000 in my life time fact.We have come a long way but too fast what have we got ne

villamiller
05-01-2015, 04:25 PM

LincsMiller
05-01-2015, 06:12 PM
I'm in this age group and one comment made does relate to myself, when I was very young I lived on a street called Chemist Lane, close to Brown St and Holland St, I remember going with my dad to Brown St WMC Sunday lunch ,
on the the way we would pass blokes who lived on these streets of whom my dad would say hello to, then he would inform me...that's Jock Quairney Millers goalie , that's Nobby Noble, etc etc, all of whom lived amongst the working people in homes I believe we're owned by the club. This is just an observation and in no way do I think it relates to losing 5-1, but how things have changed.