PDA

View Full Version : All the criticism of Evans's transfer policy..

RawmarshMiller
06-01-2015, 08:22 AM
Player A, 28 year old, 10 goals in 35 games in the championship on a free transfer. Played in the championship, Premier League, abroad and has played in the Champions League. The 10 goals scored came in a 14 game spell at the end of the season.

Player B, 22 year old, 21 goals in 37 games in league 1 for £3m. (prior to last season, record was 3 goals in 32 at various non-league clubs on loan)

Player C, 23 years old, 30 goals in 44 games in the Conference for £1m. Never played higher in the conference prior to this.

Player D, 22 years old, 20 goals in 38 games in the Scottish Premier League for £800k. Previously scored goals in the Scottish First and Third Division.

On a limited budget which would you sign? Bear in mind the record fee we have paid previously was £250k and that no so long ago we were without a home and in administration.

I truly find it hard to fathom the criticism that Evans gets for his transfer policy, as a club we shop at Aldi, we donít get our players from Occa

TimeforAle
06-01-2015, 09:02 AM
Evans transfer policy is nothing more than trial and error...and more error!!

List all the players he has signed...

leedsmiller
06-01-2015, 10:05 AM
'We have to be prudent and make the intelligent selection'. Absolutely right. Prudent meaning careful or wise, exercising good judgement eg a prudent manager of money. Our transfer policy since Evans arrived must have lost us over a million pounds, not very prudent. And where are the intelligent selections, out of the 15, 16 or whatever summer imports just how many are first team regulars? One, two at a push. Not a great deal of intelligence has been utilised there.

Believe it or not this is not a criticism, merely a factual observation. Success and a rapid rise like we've enjoyed undoubtedly has a price to pay. We haven't had any stability for years, we're constantly overhauling the playing staff to try and keep up with ourselves. The question is are we paying too high a price given our relatively meagre resources and has quality been sacrificed for quantity?

Time will tell because here comes another overhaul...

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
06-01-2015, 10:14 AM
What's hard to fathom about this, instead of signing three bench warmers pay the same amount in wages and sign one better quality player?

hillsborough miller
06-01-2015, 10:16 AM
totally agree money wasted on wages supplying bench warmers and bury with players we could have afforded tavs dicko and some others

RawmarshMiller
06-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Every transfer is a risk. When you are in the bargain bin, it really is a lucky dip.

Everyone goes on about the summer signings, well look at their credentials:-

Scott Loach - former England U21 goalkeeper and previously very highly rated. why not take a punt that he may re-discover his form? (Kieran Agard, Craig Morgan spring to mind)

Frazer Richardson - a regular at Ipswich in the Championship last season, has played at the Championship level all his career. Not too much of a gamble.

Richard Sadler - played every game for L1 Crawley and was their player of the year. No fee involved and has played in the Championship.

Kirk Broadfoot - a former International Footballer who has appeared in the Champions League, relatively versatile and has played in the Championship for a number of seasons.

Richard Wood - a regular in the Charlton team last season and a proven Championship Centre Half.

Connor Newton - highly rated Premier League youngster who had just had a great season on loan i

millertop
06-01-2015, 10:22 AM
Ben shepherd media/admin assistant is leaving the club so any of you interested in a job let the club know .

Just thought I'd throw it out there ;)

RawmarshMiller
06-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Amanda - the person who we can spend the money on, the one without a fee who will take the wages we can afford?

Oh I remember, we did that before, his was Danny Schofield, he was a success wasn't he...

TimeforAle
06-01-2015, 10:38 AM
[quote="RawmarshMiller"]Every transfer is a risk. When you are in the bargain bin, it really is a lucky dip.

Scott Loach - former England U21 goalkeeper and previously very highly rated. why not take a punt that he may re-discover his form? (Kieran Agard, Craig Morgan spring to mind)

Frazer Richardson - a regular at Ipswich in the Championship last season, has played at the Championship level all his career. Not too much of a gamble.

Richard Sadler - played every game for L1 Crawley and was their player of the year. No fee involved and has played in the Championship.

Kirk Broadfoot - a former International Footballer who has appeared in the Champions League, relatively versatile and has played in the Championship for a number of seasons.

Richard Wood - a regular in the Charlton team last season and a proven Championship Centre Half.

Connor Newton - highly rated Premier League

leedsmiller
06-01-2015, 10:49 AM
It's not as if we're asking for the world... just one or two signings we can appreciate who will improve the team.

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
06-01-2015, 11:52 AM
Amanda - the person who we can spend the money on, the one without a fee who will take the wages we can afford?

Oh I remember, we did that before, his was Danny Schofield, he was a success wasn't he...

He had all pre-season, he could have easily gone for quality over quantity. You talk about hindsight, why is it then I was banging on about quality over quantity as soon as he started making these signings? I put on the thread about Arnason signing a new deal the comment 'best signing so far' I was baffled that a professional manager who had just achieved two promotions thought this would work in the Championship. Of course I was hoping to be proven wrong.

Now there's no point in naming anyone as he's already wasted the money. If he didn't waste so much we could afford bigger wages, it's that simple.

Another thing he's a shouty manager and it's well known some players will never respond well to this, some however

RawmarshMiller
06-01-2015, 12:03 PM
TFA - cant be arsed with the descriptions, but from memory, here goes:-

1. Nicky Hunt
2. Ian Sharps
3. lawrie Wilson
4. Lionel Ainsworth
5. Kayode Odejayi
6. Daniel Nardiello
7. David Noble
8. Michael O'Connor
9. Craig Morgan
10. Scott Shearer
11. Lee frecklington
12. Winger from Hull
13. Winger from Peterbro
14. Joe Skarz
15. Josh Morris
16. ?? O'connell
17. Courtney Cameron
18. Claude Davis
19. Alan Morgan
20. Kari Arnason
21. Kieran Agard
22. Adam Collin
23. James Tavernier
24. Michael Tider
25. Rob Milson
26. Haris Vukic
27. Kid from West Ham
28. Tom Hitchcock
29. Wes Thomas
30. Miles Addison
31. Tom Eaves
32. Danny Hylton
33. Nouha Dicko
34. Matt Tubbs
35. Nicky Adams
36. Johnson Clark Harris
37. Paul Taylor
38. Anthony Wordsworth
39. Tom Lawrence
40. Luciano Becchio
41. Reece james
42. Emanuel Ledesma
43. Scott Wootton
44. Jordan Slew

Plus the 13 above, sure some bright spare will mention someone I haven't recalled.

TimeforAle
06-01-2015, 12:12 PM
TFA - cant be arsed with the descriptions, but from memory, here goes:-

1. Nicky Hunt
2. Ian Sharps
3. lawrie Wilson
4. Lionel Ainsworth
5. Kayode Odejayi
6. Daniel Nardiello
7. David Noble
8. Michael O'Connor
9. Craig Morgan
10. Scott Shearer
11. Lee frecklington
12. Winger from Hull
13. Winger from Peterbro
14. Joe Skarz
15. Josh Morris
16. ?? O'connell
17. Courtney Cameron
18. Claude Davis
19. Alan Morgan
20. Kari Arnason
21. Kieran Agard
22. Adam Collin
23. James Tavernier
24. Michael Tider
25. Rob Milson
26. Haris Vukic
27. Kid from West Ham
28. Tom Hitchcock
29. Wes Thomas
30. Miles Addison
31. Tom Eaves
32. Danny Hylton
33. Nouha Dicko
34. Matt Tubbs
35. Nicky Adams
36. Johnson Clark Harris
37. Paul Taylor
38. Anthony Wordsworth
39. Tom Lawrence
40. Luciano Becchio
41. Reece james
42. Emanuel Ledesma
43. Scott Wootton
44. Jordan Slew

Plus the 13 above, sure some bright spare will mention someone I haven't recalled.

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
06-01-2015, 12:32 PM
12: Jamie Devitt.

Liked the look of him, shame he got injured.

13 Don't even remember that, see there has been too many. :)

David Worral, Richard Brindley.

16: Jack

27: Blair Turgott

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
06-01-2015, 12:34 PM
13: Danny Kearns, had to google it though. :D :D

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
06-01-2015, 12:37 PM
He's signed 21 I think it is this season. :/ :s

one_a_day
06-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Off course he has signed a lot of players.

1. He signed players to get us out of league 2. SUCCESS

2. He signed players to get us out of league 1. SUCCESS

3. He has signed players to keep us in the Championship. Not in bottom 3 at moment, therefore SUCCESS

People harp on about wasted money, but how much has he wasted?

Most of the players arrived on a free and you can't really count loan players. Agreed there are numerous examples of loan players not playing but we've no idea what percentage of their wages we are paying.

I should imagine that any money wasted will have been recouped anyway by the sale of Agard.

The fact of the matter is, no one on this board has got a clue about the financial implications and restraints on Evans transfer dealings. But it's good to moan.

fivetide
06-01-2015, 01:11 PM
On the money wasting front, surely the permanent players rather than the loanees should be counted there?

We have loaned a lot of players, some who proved to be astute, others not so much - just the same as the permanent ones.

the trouble is when the loan players do well and go to a different club it is frustrating. When they turn our poor we don't have to worry about their wages.

DK_NY
06-01-2015, 01:14 PM
Here's my attempt,a list of 63 :
Shearer
Hunt
Wilson
Harris
Morris
Ridehaigh
scarz
Arnason
morgan.C
O connell
sharps
Frecklington
Noble
O connor
Ainsworth
Devitt
Rooney
Cameron
Kearns
Odejayi
Nardiello
Agard
Morgan.A
Slew
Collin
Tavernier
brindley
davis
Addison
Mills
tidser
milsom
smallwood
Worral
vucik
adams
Turgott
Hylton
dicko
Eaves
tubbs
hitchcock
thomas
loach
richardson
sadler
broadfoot
wood
newton
green
wordsworth
swift
hall
brandy
taylor
derbyshire
bowery
clarke harris
becchio
Ledesma
Wootton
Lawrence
James

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
06-01-2015, 01:21 PM
He's wasted a lot and that should be obvious.

You neglected to mention agent fees and sign on fees?

TimeforAle
06-01-2015, 01:36 PM

And pay-offs for the 'mutual agreements'

Archiemiller
06-01-2015, 02:14 PM
[quote="RawmarshMiller"]Every transfer is a risk. When you are in the bargain bin, it really is a lucky dip.

Connor Newton - highly rated Premier League

leedsmiller
06-01-2015, 02:26 PM
[we are 6pts above the relegation zone for gods sake.:? IF the season finishes like that im over the moon,job done.B)

We're only 3 points above the relegation zone, we could be in the bottom 3 on Saturday - with Bournemouth to come. But, being optimistic...

caytonmiller
06-01-2015, 02:47 PM
think if you add up the money raised since evans has been in charge.
promotion from league 2 to league 1.
money from tv rights/play offs
promotion from league 1 to championship.
sale of agard im guessing it would be close to 5 million...

if we had funds left from that 5 million would you still say he has wasted money??

im guessing the cynical of you would say if he bought fewer players he would have wasted less

imo evans has brought us 2 promotions in 2 seasons and were being entertained with some great football (not always us). yeah keep wasting the cash Mr E - view external link (if we have funds left from that 5 million)

NorthEssexMiller
06-01-2015, 02:55 PM
what Cayton said

waste???? who's waste??

2 promotions and generally holding own in the Championship

trial and error has got us the success... long may it continue..

its not MY cash is it!

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
06-01-2015, 04:06 PM
what Cayton said

waste???? who's waste??

2 promotions and generally holding own in the Championship

trial and error has got us the success... long may it continue..

its not MY cash is it!

The global recession springs to mind.

Archiemiller
06-01-2015, 04:08 PM
[we are 6pts above the relegation zone for gods sake.:? IF the season finishes like that im over the moon,job done.B)

We're only 3 points above the relegation zone, we could be in the bottom 3 on Saturday - with Bournemouth to come. But, being optimistic...[/quote]3pts are ya sure LM.:O thats phukt it then..quick pass me that rope.XD

millavanilla
06-01-2015, 06:01 PM
Never mind...if we go down we'll be able to sign a few back...and a few from bury... :/

dell1525
06-01-2015, 06:18 PM
think if you add up the money raised since evans has been in charge.
promotion from league 2 to league 1.
money from tv rights/play offs
promotion from league 1 to championship.
sale of agard im guessing it would be close to 5 million...

if we had funds left from that 5 million would you still say he has wasted money??

im guessing the cynical of you would say if he bought fewer players he would have wasted less

imo evans has brought us 2 promotions in 2 seasons and were being entertained with some great football (not always us). yeah keep wasting the cash Mr E

You're wasting your time Cayton.
There's been a few on here who have been under their rocks waiting for a chance to have a go at Evans.

It's took a bit longer than they hoped but the knives are out now.

Maybe we would be better off with Andy Scott eh?

welovebooth
06-01-2015, 07:27 PM
Steve evans has got us promotion 2 seasons in a row and people are complaining about his transfer policy???

He is currently keeping us away from the relegation zone which is the aim for this season.how many people was saying it would be a miracle if we managed to stay up at the end off the season?

Whats the difference between signing 20 free transfers which didn't work out or 1 600k who doesn't work out.

Maybe such high loan player turn arouns is because during the course off a season different players become available at different times.
What is he suppose to do not sign a player that he thinks will improve tge squad just because he's allready signed other players

CrackersATM
06-01-2015, 07:40 PM
The person who listed 60 plus signings in under 3 years by SE. That must be a club record if not a Football League record. One thing for sure Boothy would have never sanctioned that many signing on fees.

UTM!

Nedstarks_son
06-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Wasted money agreed, but would we be in our current league without Steve making the decisions he has in deciding that the majority on that list were crap.

Admittedly he shouldn't have signed/loaned them in the first place but quite often in life it's harder to admit you made a mistake and thank god he didn't persist in standing by most of that list. In particular he called time on his Tubbs obsession and this after repeatedly telling us he's like messi for two years and made his self look stupid to us.There's the usuals within that list (Tavs/Dicko/Lawrence/Harris/Becchio maybe Vuckic) that we would want in our current squad but none of the others.

We're all football fans aren't we I personally love signing a new player I assume I'm not alone in staying up glued to Transfer deadline day deals on SSN. It's been a great ride to where we are now and I'm sure the excitement is going to continue. TS is no mug and will only sanction what we can afford and absorb. The Summer signings h

BradfordFozzie
07-01-2015, 09:56 AM
The main problem as I see it is...

Big Steve and the Chairman get on very well. They have always openly praised each other in public and clearly have mutual respect.

The problem Steve has is that he has always said (along with the Chairman) they will not break the wage structure at the club but this must be grating on him now. The fans are frustrated by the quality of signings to date but look at the ones we've had to let go. Tavs, Dicko and Agard would all still be here if money were no object and we would be sitting comfortably in mid table, that I'm sure of. That's not the Managers fault, that's the clubs policy.

Everyone who saw Dicko play knew he was a quality player and how on earth Wigan didn't want him amazes me. He's the only player I would have taken a risk on and payed more money for, but THE CLUB didn't It's no surprise that Wolves have suddenly started winning again since his return from injury.

Steve may bring in loads of players and had he have been at another clu

leedsmiller
07-01-2015, 10:39 AM
Fact 1. Steve Evans has only signed one, possibly two, quality players on a permanent contract who've enhanced the team's performance since our days in League 2. To the likes of Arnason, Frecklington and Agard we could add Adam Collin in League 1 and, possibly, Smallwood in the current crop.

Fact 2. Our success to date has been based on a League 2 team aided by some very good loan signings.

Fact 3. The team we have now is far worse than the one that won promotion last season.

Of course, there are those who would dispute these assertions but face the facts, literally, this is the reality. At the present time, as a Championship club, we're in a false position because we don't have a core Rotherham United contracted squad capable of retaining our elevated status.

Fact 4. Things need to change... but do we have the capabilities? If we identify a quality striker, for example, he needs to have gone largely unnoticed by the rest of the football fraternity for us to stand any chance of

fivetide
07-01-2015, 10:46 AM
One thing for sure Boothy would have never sanctioned that many signing on fees.

UTM!

Do loan players get a signing on fee? If not, I think (again) we need to discount loan players from this list of 'wasted money'

gwru
07-01-2015, 11:01 AM
Think we all agree we've had a taste of championship football & we don't want to go back to league 1. All I can't understand is you get a budget at start of the season what's difference in having a squad of 20 players max who are good enough for this league, paying certain players abit more than paying god knows how many players who aren't championship players.

Just hope SE has learned class wise this is a totally different level of football & acts accordingly.

DavidR__9
07-01-2015, 11:15 AM
One thing for sure Boothy would have never sanctioned that many signing on fees.

UTM!

Do loan players get a signing on fee? If not, I think (again) we need to discount loan players from this list of 'wasted money'[/quote]

No signing on fee, but loan players (particularly half season or season loans) often involve the payment of a loan fee to the parent club.

gorky
07-01-2015, 11:50 AM

And pay-offs for the 'mutual agreements'[/quote]

Won't be that much. Releasing a player on a free will enable him to earn more somewhere else, (otherwise a club would have to pay a fee for him on top of his wages). Rather this than sitting in the reserves, taking up a wage and spreading discontent in the dressing room. I think this 'pay-off' thing is a misconception. It's called 'mutual' for a reason. I think Evans does this part well and it's why we have always had a happy dressing room.