PDA

View Full Version : Proper Millers legends

Townerslovechild
07-01-2015, 05:41 PM
I`ve been watching the Millers since 1979,and in that time we`ve had some great players,and some pretty sh*te ones.
But I reckon only 5 are what I would call "Millers Legends",these are players that go beyond just being a good player,they did something,or represented something beyond the norm.
So my legends are...
1.Ronnie Moore,I`d only just started watching Rotherham not long before he joined,and of course he featured heavily he what is probably the best ever Millers team,top scorer,and a proper old fashioned centre forward.
Fast forward a few years and becomes even more legendary with his success as manager,great times.
2.Tony Towner,from same era,simply my favourite player of all time,and the most exciting to watch.
3.Paul Hirst,a one club player making over 500 appearances.No matter who came along he would always get his place back,would walk into the team today.
4.Adam Le Fondre,although not with us for long,he was usually the only reason to go to DVS.Best finisher in a Millers e

PeteWaller
07-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Alan Lee then perhaps not legends but exciting :-
Gerry Gow - could do with him now
Bob Delgado
John Galley
Chris Rabjohn
Mike Pollitt
Crazy Horse
Barry Lyons
Ian Butler

Showing my age now so no more :D :D

Donald_Valley
07-01-2015, 06:26 PM
Bobby Williamson...best goal scorer we have ever had.

Archiemiller
07-01-2015, 07:01 PM
Bob Delgado
John Galley
Chris Rabjohn
Mike Pollitt
Crazy Horse
Barry Lyons
Ian Butler

Showing my age now so no more :D :DBob Delgado bloody hell Pete scraping barrel there pal,dont think heed be in my top 50 :?

Deepmidwinter
07-01-2015, 07:07 PM
What about some improper ones?

Archiemiller
07-01-2015, 07:12 PM
Bobby Williamson...best goal scorer we have ever had.Now we talking DV,:star: wouldnt mind Williamson and Mendonca on loan till end of season.:)

millavanilla
07-01-2015, 07:19 PM
Bob Delgado
John Galley
Chris Rabjohn
Mike Pollitt
Crazy Horse
Barry Lyons
Ian Butler

Showing my age now so no more :D :D

bob delgado ? I bet youre pishing yoursen after typing that.. :) :D XD

millavanilla
07-01-2015, 07:27 PM
Anyway, starting from the late sixties, what about dave watson...but then again, maybe not a legend at the time...and what about super intelligent rodney fern..he didnt run about like a headless chicken like some...he let the ball do the work..what a fab player...it says something when emlyn hughes couldnt believe we'd got a player like that on the books...

Gwyther
07-01-2015, 07:34 PM
Err... there was some Welsh guy, big centre forward, oh thes on the tip of my tongue...

1960smiller
07-01-2015, 08:28 PM
Err... there was some Welsh guy, big centre forward, oh thes on the tip of my tongue...Well he was one of my favourites as well Dave?.

Brin
07-01-2015, 08:36 PM
Can't believe no ones mentioned Mark Robins?

Imagine a forward three of :

Ronnie Moore played 125 scored 52

Bobby Williamson played 109 scored 49

Mark Robins played 107 scored 44

Fire power or what!

CrackersATM
07-01-2015, 08:50 PM
I'll add a fews

John Breckin
Gerry Forest
Shaun Goater
Martin McIntosh
Chris Swailes
Paul Warne

UTM!

sawmiller
07-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Bobby Williamson...best goal scorer we have ever had.

Yes, great player, could magic a goal out of nothing. Also, big Dave Watson who went on to play for Sunderland, Man City and England.

mikemiller
07-01-2015, 09:07 PM
Not mentioned so far
Danny Williams - great player and manager
Albert Bennett (England B/under 23? internaional)
Frank Casper (best player that never won an England cap?)

pollittburo
07-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Johnny Breckin is surely worth a mention. However, the word 'Legend' cannot be used lightly and until now Ronnie Moore is the only man befitting of such a lofty title.

PerigordMiller
07-01-2015, 11:14 PM
Nobody even mentioned Carl Gilbert ?