PDA

View Full Version : Millers players past and present who were never criticised

the_idiotb_stardson
08-01-2015, 07:54 AM
Is there any?

Alan Lee got loads of stick, especially early on for not scoring.

Towner got plenty for his poor crossing.

These were so called legends as well.

The one who I never heard get any stick was Gerry Forest (first time around). He did get lambasted in his second stint by most because he was past it, but his first spell was, in my memory, criticism free.

leedsmiller
08-01-2015, 08:02 AM
Last one I remember was Gladstone Guest...

TimeforAle
08-01-2015, 08:35 AM
Dez Hazel...oh hang on lol

Jody Morris?
Stephen Quin?
Grant Leadbitter?
Carl Robinson? - brilliant player

the_idiotb_stardson
08-01-2015, 09:16 AM

Jody Morris?
Stephen Quin?
Grant Leadbitter?

TFA Quinny is a really good shout. There were a few mutterings beforehand from fans that we had signed a dee dar but when he started playing he was very popular and I can't remember him copping for any flak.

fivetide
08-01-2015, 09:20 AM
Kevin Watson, great midfielder, no wait, blasted on a regular basis

Sedgewick, like Pringle, ran his socks off defending and attacking - oops sorry, regularly knocked for being "useless"

Pollitt - probably one of the best keepers we've ever had who went on to have long career in the Prem - No my mistake, hammered for not being great with crosses

Hot Shot Bobby is probably one of the few. The important thing here is that he was playing, and scoring in a winning side so wasn't booed off the pitch.

Once again, booing is indiscriminate so you can't boo one player. Someone who has tried but been let down by their team mates is not likely to find it a fun experience and feel 'unappreciated'. I am not sure why that is such a difficult concept :)

TimeforAle
08-01-2015, 09:20 AM

Jody Morris?
Stephen Quin?
Grant Leadbitter?

TFA Quinny is a really good shout. There were a few mutterings beforehand from fans that we had signed a dee dar but when he started playing he was very popular and I can't remember him copping for any flak.[/quote]

Lee Williamson also??

Although I did scream and shout at the fecker when I had 5 on him for first goal at 40/1 and he stepped up to take a penalty...nearly snapped the ferkin crossbar...and then went and got 2 at Bradford the following week when I had got fed up of betting on him!!

the_idiotb_stardson
08-01-2015, 09:23 AM
Kevin Watson, great midfielder, no wait, blasted on a regular basis

Sedgewick, like Pringle, ran his socks off defending and attacking - oops sorry, regularly knocked for being "useless"

Pollitt - probably one of the best keepers we've ever had who went on to have long career in the Prem - No my mistake, hammered for not being great with crosses

Hot Shot Bobby is probably one of the few. The important thing here is that he was playing, and scoring in a winning side so wasn't booed off the pitch.

Once again, booing is indiscriminate so you can't boo one player. Someone who has tried but been let down by their team mates is not likely to find it a fun experience and feel 'unappreciated'. I am not sure why that is such a difficult concept :)

Good shout with Williamson...can't remember him getting any stick at all.

the_idiotb_stardson
08-01-2015, 09:38 AM
I was going to say Tavs. He was and is very popular but I seemed to remember him getting a bit of flak for his defending. Infact a group near me had a go at him at Wembley for Orient's second goal.

A very very small amount of stick for Tavs though.

Ravo_Miller
08-01-2015, 09:40 AM
Alan Lee got loads of stick, especially early on for not scoring.

Did he? Out of all the players I have ever watched in a Millers shirt Alan Lee made the biggest first impression. I phoned my mate up who supports Crewe (then in the Championship equivalent) at half time on Alan Lee's debut at Stoke and told him that if we kept this lad we would be playing Crewe in the Championship equivalent next season. We did keep him and we did play Crewe the next season in the league above after someone scored a last minute goal against another team in a match at Millmoor in the last home game. Don't remember anyone saying anything other than he was a great player in all the time he was at the Millers

Rabbit
08-01-2015, 09:53 AM
I agree, Alan Lee never got any criticism. It took him 7 games to get his first goal against Swansea, everyone was delighted for him, he already had the makings of a Millers hero, everyone could see that.

scum_triumphant
08-01-2015, 10:09 AM
Hoskins

fivetide
08-01-2015, 10:12 AM
I remember Lee getting stick. As a big lad he didn't always look super fit plus the shirt out the shorts style immediately looked a bit like he wasn't going to make an effort. I heard plenty of comments around him looking chunky or slow. Very similar to Alf in that respect.

the_idiotb_stardson
08-01-2015, 10:19 AM
I seem to remember him getting some about 8 games in. It was in his barren spell. It was short lived though.

villamiller
08-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Paul Warne ...;D

the_idiotb_stardson
08-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Warnie got loads of hammer, Villa as a player. Not so much now.

gwru
08-01-2015, 11:18 AM
This is my 50th year watching RUFC. That side I 1st saw with Barry Lyons, John Galley, Brian Tiler ect... was never criticised. Later on we got Jonny Quinn couldn't criticise him. Never heard any for Forrest or Towner.

I've never myself criticised anybody but there's been 2 times you couldn't see much on the pitch. 73/74 before Breck, Finny & Crawford came into the side they were dark days. When Phil Henson was the manager 88/89 couldn't much future then. There's always been some players in the side worth going to see, just them 2 periods not many players sping to mind I can remember.

fivetide
08-01-2015, 11:22 AM
. When Phil Henson was the manager 88/89 couldn't much future then. There's always been some players in the side worth going to see, just them 2 periods not many players sping to mind I can remember.

Apart from Bobby Williamson? Arrived in 88 and left in 90. Played what? 90 games and scored a goal every other match on average? :)

Ravo_Miller
08-01-2015, 11:32 AM
. When Phil Henson was the manager 88/89 couldn't much future then. There's always been some players in the side worth going to see, just them 2 periods not many players sping to mind I can remember.

Apart from Bobby Williamson? Arrived in 88 and left in 90. Played what? 90 games and scored a goal every other match on average? :)[/quote]

Billy McEwan was the manager though at the end of the 80's

gwru
08-01-2015, 11:50 AM
73 there was Dave Gywther who was a decent player. 88 went to see us play Norwich in the league cup tues night late summer/ autumn lost 2-0 sure Henson was manager that might have been before Williamson joined us. Was sat in old maine stand was a performance to forget.

LincsMiller
08-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Wally Ardron ,Dave Watson, Paul Stancliffe, Rodney Fern , Danny Williams (as a player) Shaun Goater

the_idiotb_stardson
08-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Goatee you are kidding. Got loads of flak at various points of his Millers career.

gramiller1959
08-01-2015, 01:32 PM
gerry forrest ?

John2
08-01-2015, 01:40 PM
I don't remember McIntosh, Swailes or Talbot getting any stick?

the_idiotb_stardson
08-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Ha Ha or Gerry Gow!

fivetide
08-01-2015, 01:48 PM
Tony Grealish. No one would have dared.

crashbang
08-01-2015, 02:06 PM
I was deaf to anything said about Emlyn Hughes.

millers888
08-01-2015, 04:19 PM
oh bobby bobby bobby bobby williamson and stewart evans (not)