PDA

View Full Version : Alex Revell: A true Millers legend

Paul_Davis_(Millers_
09-01-2015, 07:51 AM
My take on the big man in today's Star. Lengthy feature which was a pleasure to write. - view external link (http://bit.ly/1tPLc3y)

DK_NY
09-01-2015, 08:15 AM
...and a pleasure to read Paul.

Brin
09-01-2015, 08:40 AM
Very enjoyable read...summed up very well indeed..

Cheers Paul

vespabri
09-01-2015, 08:40 AM
A cracking peice Paul well done.
Legends are not legends because they score 30 goals every season,legends in my book are players who play with 110% EVERY GAME or 1 peice of magic that everyone,even the non-football fans know of.
Revs did BOTH.
That goal will live with me til my last breath,(lets not forget his 1st not so ambitious goal that got us back in it).
Ive knocked Revs inthe past,but so did i with Alfie,Ronnie & Tiger.
Revs will go into my legends book..will he yours.
England remembers "they think its all over"
Rotherham remembers "Ambitious but Brilliant"

jvmiller
09-01-2015, 08:56 AM
Here is a similarly gushing piece I have written on Revs too. - view external link (http://www.itsmillerstime.co.uk/2015/01/alex-revell-holds-special-place-in.html)

TimeforAle
09-01-2015, 08:58 AM
I don't agree with this line at all, and frankly think it's very naieve and blinkered by the relatively recent 'moment of your life' following the Millers.

"He may not be as good as a footballer as Alan Lee was, but I consider him to be more part of this club than Alan Lee is."

I have nothing against Alex Revell at all, in fact having met him I think he is an absolute gent, and in general cannot do enough for the fans. A comparison to Alan Lee is however very wide of the mark, and I would suggest a comparison to Ritchie Barker may be more appropriate.

Don't forget that Alan Lee went on to be a major threat in the Championship, ironically sealing a much bigger move to Cardiff and to go on to be an established Championship player for many years thereafter; he was also capped internationally.

Rotherham United - Lee moved to Rotherham United for 150,000 in November 2000 after a short loan spell. In his first season at the club, 200001, he scored 15 goals in 35 games as Ronnie Moore'

vespabri
09-01-2015, 09:07 AM
Alan Lee capped a few times by the Republic of Ireland pal.
Revs is twice the player Ritchie Barker was.
You don"t have to be an internationally capped player or play in the championship or premier league to be classed as a legend.
Alfie scored a few goals in the PREMIER LEAGUE yet some see Alan Lee as a bigger legend than him.
Its all about opinions to be honest.

TimeforAle
09-01-2015, 09:16 AM
Alex Revell is not above Alan Lee or Alf and never will be; for me he is some way behind Mark Robins also.

I think what we are seeing here is a few people still cumming in their pants about the ambitious but brillaint moment - he misses more than he scores ffs.

vespabri
09-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Ya missing my point mate.

royalfunkness
09-01-2015, 09:31 AM
Wow, that was a nice surprise. Quite proud of that to be honest; thanks Paul.

TFA, why naive and blinkered? It's my opinion, and I stand by what I said. I don't think on a technical level he was as good as Alan Lee, but I prefer him as a player because he gives RUFC his everything.

vespabri
09-01-2015, 09:37 AM
TFA, is Geoff Hurst a Legend??

PeteWaller
09-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Good article Paul. Revs is certainly in there with the best as far as I'm concerned.

Loved Lee as well. Don't see how we can really compare the two but for me, Revs belongs in the same domain

RawmarshMiller
09-01-2015, 09:56 AM
I have given Revs some stick, but along with Pringle is one of my favourite players. Would always be the first on the team sheet for me.

Will be sadly missed, hope he plays when Cardiff come, would be good to give him the recognition he thoroughly deserves.

Going to be a tough act to follow...

MarkThomas
09-01-2015, 12:17 PM
Very enjoyable article Paul, thankyou.

The subject title is apt and thoroughly deserved.

Revs is now part of our fabric, part of our DNA.

I am sad to see him leave.

He unquestionably loves us to bits and will be leaving with a heavy heart.

He is a better footballer than some would care to admit. His magical goal at Wembley makes one almost forget his brilliant, crucial goal at Preston in the first leg play off semi. Chesting it past the central defender on the touchline and then running almost half the length of the pitch to beat the keeper one on one was a special goal indeed.

dmentor
09-01-2015, 01:18 PM
A fabulous read Paul,i can think back myself when we got promoted to the Championship,wondering if Rev's would cut it in this division,in actual fact comparing him with Richie Barker,i saw Richie score goal's for fun in league 1 and league 2,but struggled in the Championship,however i needed to fear not,Rev's as more than held his own,he will alway's be a legend to us Miller's fan's,and i am certain he will receive a very warm welcome whenever he visit's the NYS.

harpo88
09-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Gutted. I'll be wearing my Ambitious but Brilliant t shirt on Saturday. Will always consider him a Rotherham player.

TMiller
09-01-2015, 04:19 PM
I hope he scores **** loads for cardiff. i'll feel proud :D

Zilzal
09-01-2015, 04:35 PM
Will we be saying the same about Bowery in a few years' time? I very much doubt it.

Whenever Evans went back to Crawley or whenever he spent money on a player (Worrall, Tidser, Bowery, possibly Clarke-Harris etc) calamity followed.

I thank God and TS that Evans hasn't had more money to waste and that his other potential big signings (Tubbs, Taylor, May etc) fell through.

Evans is, and always will be, a chancer who very occasionally gets lucky. Having said that I'm sure the 4th Division will soon welcome him back with open arms.

CrackersATM
09-01-2015, 04:42 PM
Alex Revell is not above Alan Lee or Alf and never will be; for me he is some way behind Mark Robins also.

I think what we are seeing here is a few people still cumming in their pants about the ambitious but brillaint moment - he misses more than he scores ffs.

Revs is a model professional and he gave the Millers fantastic service. I agree with TimeforAle he ranks inbetween Alan Lee and Ritchie Barker (for me slightly nearer Lee than Barker who both grafted and gave great service for us). Lees goal scoring record was better and he played more Championship games whereas Revs had nearly 2 seasons in the 4th tier with us.

Where he ranks for us is irrelevant though and just peoples opinion. I genuinely wish Revs all the best at Cardiff City and hope plays and scores more for them than Alan Lee did. If he plays against us I will give him a standing ovation before the kick off and just hope Cardiff misfire on the day and don't create

gramiller1959
09-01-2015, 04:47 PM
if everyone put the effort in that revs does we would be in the prem :)

Zilzal
09-01-2015, 04:48 PM
And let us not forget that Revell and Pringle were already here when Evans arrived.

Would he or his brother or Raynor have scouted them? I very much doubt it.

gramiller1959
09-01-2015, 04:50 PM
can we clear up one thing here too ... people keep saying the fans were having a go at revell ? :/

total bollax ... any animosity was to evans for playing hoof ball like we were in div 2 :(

GOOD LUCK ALEX AND "THANKYOU" FOR EVERYTHING ... A TRUE MILLERS LEGEND ! THAT WILL NEVER BE FORGOT

AMBITIOUS AND BRILLIANT

Paul_Davis_(Millers_
09-01-2015, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the comments, folks. Much appreciated. Especially the good ones!

monkfish67
09-01-2015, 05:09 PM
A really good article that Paul. Sums everything up about/around Revs. I have a sneaky feeling he's going to missed.

UTM

riccallmiller
09-01-2015, 05:15 PM
He will be missed. we really need a couple of strikers now.