PDA

View Full Version : Be wary of rushing to judgment

DavidR__9
09-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Evans has overhauled his squad like this every sesason. He's got rid of players who have done well for the club and were doing a decent job for the club when they leave. And every season, it's worked out.

I'm not convinced that it's the best way of running a football squad. I wonder about whether we're building foundations for the development of a squad, or just making decisions exclusively for the here and now. I wonder if that mightn't cost us later. I wonder if Evans - and Evans' way - was the only way of delivering the two successive promotions (given the wage budget and the boost from the new ground, I suspect not, but who knows?).

But, the fact is, Evans' track record of doing what it looks like he's going to do this month and making it work is unarguable. So, he deserves the suspension of judgment.

One of the reasons he's worked so effectively is that the supporters have bought into what he's done (I watched people around me move from thinking Agard was our key player to th

fivetide
09-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Can't believe anything you say David. You hate Evans ;)

vespabri
09-01-2015, 12:17 PM
Yes lets sit and wait,nothing we can do anyway..good luck Evo,in Evans we trust!!

Another coach couldn"t do better?? STEVE THOMPSON !!!

DavidR__9
09-01-2015, 12:22 PM
"Another coach couldn"t do better?? STEVE THOMPSON !!!"

Not now, though. You're not going to turn Clark Harris and Bowery into an effective partnership overnight. You're not going to get that much more out of Arnason or Morgan or Richardson or Green or Smallwood or Collin. You might get a bit extra out of Skarz (who looked a shadow of himself when he came on on Saturday). You might make a player out of Brindley.

But, say you sacked Evans this afternoon and appointed a new man on Monday - you'd still need 4 or 5 players to add quickly. And Evans has proven (albeit with greater relative purchasing power in the past, granted) that he's adept at this sort of squad overhaul.

millertop
09-01-2015, 12:24 PM
I don't agree with some things thats been done but let's not forget we are not a charity, if players/Club can't argree new terms and the players want out then so be it .

A settled happy team would be nice though :D

vespabri
09-01-2015, 12:25 PM
Not saying sack him at all pal, but he"s my choice for the future.

DavidR__9
09-01-2015, 12:29 PM
Sorry - I didn't think you were, I was just making the point that, unfortunately, we're kind of stuck with the overhaul of the squad (you can argue whether we should be stuck with it, but that's a separate debate).

I'd love Steve Thompson to be our manager one day and get us playing like he used to play. I'm a sucker for ex-players taking the helm (I'd love Hursty to turn it round at Grimsby so as to be a realistic candidate if we ever had a vacancy)

vespabri
09-01-2015, 12:37 PM
If things don"t turn out well at Cardiff for Slade then maybe Slade to recruit players and Thompson to coach would be a great partnership..Slade seems to have a good eye for spotting players.

AlanLeeshairgel
09-01-2015, 01:06 PM
Cant help but think everyone should just calm down abit and let us see what Evans delivers. On teh face of it Revell looks good business to me and much as Ive enjoyed having him here and what he's done, he wont get us 20 a season in this league will he? Pringple is slightly more bizarre in terms of the proposed fee - i'd have said he was on a par with Revell and is younger, but more inconsistent. I'll go back to my original point however as on face value, Ward and Hammill look good business. Time, as ever, will tell, but everyone should take a chill pill.