PDA

View Full Version : Why is Derbyshire still starting for us in 2015?

TheGimpPimp
10-01-2015, 05:02 PM
I thought we had finally gotten rid of this waste of space.
He is linked with lower division clubs which is his level, we seem to be open to him leaving yet we still start him? Why Evans? Why? Do you want us to be relegated?
He has played is it 13 times for us in the league and is yet to score a goal?
3 more guilt edged chances today he missed in the first half to go with the 3 guilt edged chances he missed in the first game against Brentford. They must be laughing their socks off everytime they see him in the team line up against them.
He must have had 12 - 15 guilt edged unmissable chances this season and any average run of the mill striker would be on double figures. He has a big fat 0.
Must be a contender for our worst ever striker at this level.
He wouldn't score in a Filipino morgue after a prostitute massacre.
What is going on in Evans' mind that he continues to start him. If he hasn't noticed we are painfully short of goals and at what point do we start to blame Evans for pick

luvpud
10-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Get rid he's stealing a wage and will probably send us down due to his lack of goals .
Evans beware he could cost you your job also

cupid-stunt
10-01-2015, 05:15 PM
and when he goes who you going to blame then ...to@@ers just get behind the team next match and shut tfu whinging

crookadile
10-01-2015, 05:22 PM
He must have had 12 - 15 guilt edged unmissable chances.

Actually they were missable because he missed them.

I know what you mean though. :blue:

swintondude
10-01-2015, 05:29 PM
I've worked it out.

One a day is Derbyshire's doting grandma and cupid stunt must be his mum. That can be the only reason for this misjudged adoration of this clown.

BellBoy
10-01-2015, 05:30 PM
He has missed some sitters but he gets in the positions and makes the right runs, which the other strikers don't atm.
If SE is to give him a continued run we need to get behind him and hope he starts scoring asap

cupid-stunt
10-01-2015, 05:31 PM
I've worked it out.

One a day is Derbyshire's doting grandma and cupid stunt must be his mum. That can be the only reason for this misjudged adoration of this clown. so thats it swintondude knows it all keep him out of squad and we win every match someone tell evans asap

andt4jak
10-01-2015, 05:33 PM
Really must agree with swintondude XD

Val_Mascal
10-01-2015, 05:45 PM
He has missed some sitters but he gets in the positions and makes the right runs, which the other strikers don't atm.
If SE is to give him a continued run we need to get behind him and hope he starts scoring asap

Exactly. He looks the part...right up to putting the ball in the bloody net! His goal scoring confidence is clearly shot but if he can bag one he could be up and running. At the moment he's just trying too hard and it's not coming off.
He works hard and has good attitude. He's worth persevering with a bit longer.

swintondude
10-01-2015, 06:13 PM
A bit longer?

How long? Till we're back in league one. Good idea

riccallmiller
11-01-2015, 11:36 PM
the stats speak for themselves but he has missed a lot of chances. Bowery and JCH in particular dont get in the positions to make the misses and both need to have a player along side them to do their work for them.
Derbyshire picks himself at the moment and will continue to get a game until we sign better options. Bowery is miles away and JCH is simply not a starter and more an impact player.

ida
12-01-2015, 12:57 AM
the stats speak for themselves but he has missed a lot of chances. Bowery and JCH in particular dont get in the positions to make the misses and both need to have a player along side them to do their work for them.
Derbyshire picks himself at the moment and will continue to get a game until we sign better options. Bowery is miles away and JCH is simply not a starter and more an impact player.

Spot on.
There is always the the monster option...frankenstein.but there must be a place for pringles mullet including headband.

gazisamiller
12-01-2015, 06:15 AM

Exactly. He looks the part...right up to putting the ball in the bloody net! His goal scoring confidence is clearly shot but if he can bag one he could be up and running. At the moment he's just trying too hard and it's not coming off.
He works hard and has good attitude. He's worth persevering with a bit longer.[/quote]

I don't think he particularly does have a good attitude. We sit in the West stand not far from the dugout and his reaction is like a spoilt child if we've made the third sub and he isn't one of them. Its the same when he gets subbed.

TMiller
12-01-2015, 10:25 AM
the derbyshire one really is a conundrum. Personally I'm not a fan as I see him as being too lightweight and playing with him at times is like playing with 10 men. He's the type of player who HAS TO SCORE to justify his place in the team. Like a le fondre, defoe type.

The conundrum is created by the fact he consistently gets into really really good areas to score simple goals. In virtually every game he plays he does it once or twice. Nobody else really offers this. However his finishing has been woeful and the choice to stick with him or not could see us stay up or go down.

If he had taken half his easy chances this season we'd be comfortably mid table though and it is getting very very frustrating indeed.

Millerboy08
12-01-2015, 11:05 AM
Good players don't just turn ****!!!!!
lads hit a bad spell at nys however I'd keep him I've a feeling if we get behind him he will come good.
Granted we don't have the time to baby sit his goal drought hence the requirement for a quality striker to play along side him but I really do believe he will come good!

leedsmiller
12-01-2015, 11:29 AM
The answer is very simple, we've nobody else and, despite his appalling record, he's still the one most likely - which doesn't say much for Bowery and JCH. Or SE for that matter given he brought the three of them to the club but to be fair nobody could have expected all of them to be so inept. Reminds me of the cup and ball trick, three to choose from but you'll always pick the wrong one.

millertop
12-01-2015, 11:30 AM
he is the only one who gets there to take a shot is he not?

give him a run of games with another striker up front with him and see what happens or lets just write the team off ffs.

we might actually score if we have two up front in stead of one and rest in defence which still does not work (the other team still scores)

jcolledge
12-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Like many have said Derbyshire does get in the positions. On saturday he put himself about and looked bothered.

If our strikers don't score in a game Evans will reshuffle the next game. He needs a run of games, if not him then give Bowery or JCH a run to gain confidence.

Also some people need a reality check. Every club in the world wants a 'goalscorer' so they have a premium price and it does not always work out, Stevie May is a great example of that. we are a small club in the championship, with a limited budget. We need to develop players and get them through the ranks. All our homegrown players get released when they reach 20.

We need to keep faith in what we have, if we can get better in then great, but lets not add to the strike force for the sake of it.

RawmarshMiller
12-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Without the ball, Derbyshire is our best striker by far. His movement and positioning are excellent, he takes defenders out of the game and gets into positions.

BUT, at present he completely lacks any sort of composure.

JCF doesn't move well off the ball, but looks a prospect with the ball, however, others have to work pretty hard to create him a chance.

Bowery - which is the real Jordan Bowery, the guy who can pick the ball up and cruise past defenders with pace and power. Or the guy who all too often his second touch is a tackle.

Of the bunch, you gamble on one of the first two, you also consider the rest of the team. In this new passing based play, Derbyshire is probably the preference.

Ideally we need a goal scorer with decent movement off the ball. Not sure if this is Owen Doyle. Stevie May would fit into our current team extremely well, as would someone like Dicko.

JohnLeedsMiller
12-01-2015, 12:27 PM
lads hit a bad spell at nys however I'd keep him I've a feeling if we get behind him he will come good.
Granted we don't have the time to baby sit his goal drought hence the requirement for a quality striker to play along side him but I really do believe he will come good!

He has hit a bad spell since he came back from Olympiacos in 2011 not just since he came to NYS. Check out his goal scoring record. His stats are skewed by scoring some of his goals against lower division opposition in the cup, but still not great if you include them. I worked it out that he has scored (based on minutes on the pitch) a goal every 4 games including the lower division games. If you look at appearances its more like a goal every 8.5 games. If you take out the lower division games its more like a goal in every 12 games.

So as I have said before if he scores one more for us in the next 4 or 5 games he will

TMiller
12-01-2015, 01:30 PM

He has hit a bad spell since he came back from Olympiacos in 2011 not just since he came to NYS. Check out his goal scoring record. His stats are skewed by scoring some of his goals against lower division opposition in the cup, but still not great if you include them. I worked it out that he has scored (based on minutes on the pitch) a goal every 4 games including the lower division games. If you look at appearances its more like a goal every 8.5 games. If you take out the lower division games its more like a goal in every 12 games.

So as I have said before if he sco

TheGimpPimp
12-01-2015, 02:30 PM
Too much is made of him getting into the right positions to score.

A player stepping up to take a penalty kick is getting in the right position to score a goal. But if he misses fifteen spot kicks from fifteen you wouldn't have him taking penalties any longer.

The stats speak for themselves:
Jordan Bowery - 4 league starts (16 Sub) 3 goals
Johnson Clarke-Harris - 5 league starts (7 Sub) 3 goals
Matt Derbyshire - 8 league starts (6 Sub) 0 goals

Derbyshire has had almost twice as many starts and far more minutes on the pitch than the other two and it is them who have scored three goals each to his zero.

If we continue to play with Derbyshire we are effectively playing with ten men as he is only in the team to score goals. If he does not do this he doesn't do anything else. He doesn't create, he doesn't work hard, he isn't useful when defending set plays a la Revell.

If he is such a good player and bound to come good why did he struggle when on loan at Oldham in the league we have ju