PDA

View Full Version : F.A.O. I.B.S.

Zilzal
10-01-2015, 05:34 PM
IBS, you and I, dear friend, have long talked into the night about matters literary. The one thing neither of us have been able to resolve is the true authorship of the quote "if you write a story or play and a gun is mentioned, at some stage that gun has to be fired."

Some say the originator was Anton Chekhov, others Ivan Turgenev. It's a close call but my money is on Chekhov. I base my judgement largely on 'Uncle Vanya' as at a late stage in the drama Vanya goes into the wings, Vanya puts a gun to his temple and pulls the trigger.

Unbelievably, he misses.

Knowing you to be a keen scribe, could you write a believable drama in which a 6 barrel gun is mentioned very early in the proceedings, then later on all 6 barrels are fired taking out Derbyshire, Bowery, Barmby, Hamill, and of course Evans and Raynor.

Our mutual friend and respected Man of Science, Kempo, will then I'm convinced, turn the drama you write into reality. Without the aboved 6 baddies, I'm sure we'll be fine i

the_idiotb_stardson
11-01-2015, 05:07 PM
One word Zil : "blunderpuss"

Zilzal
13-01-2015, 10:58 PM
Don't understand IBS. Is this in code?

Guess it must be as the killing must start at once, Dashiell Hammett, James M Cain and John D McDonald would have kicked off long ago.

mikemiller
13-01-2015, 11:20 PM
Was Uncle Vanya's nephew the ficticious football character Matt Derbyshire?

the_idiotb_stardson
14-01-2015, 06:49 AM
Zil, a 'blunderpuss' was often used by irate farmers in The Beano, Whizzer, and Chips, Dandy Buster etc...it used to 'scatter' buckshot.

So I was thinking more of the bullets than the gun and the spray of the hundreds of bullets which were released at the same time.

The theory was , I am sure, that if you release enough bullets, one of them will surely hit the target.

Maybe it should be called the 'transfer policy' rather than the 'blunderpuss'.

millavanilla
14-01-2015, 07:42 AM
If evans sees this thread, he'll think, "what the fu,k are they on about?"

ColinRUFC
14-01-2015, 10:04 AM
Zil, a 'blunderpuss' was often used by irate farmers in The Beano, Whizzer, and Chips, Dandy Buster etc...it used to 'scatter' buckshot.

So I was thinking more of the bullets than the gun and the spray of the hundreds of bullets which were released at the same time.

The theory was , I am sure, that if you release enough bullets, one of them will surely hit the target.

That would be a blunderbuss then. Presumably a blunderpuss sprays cats wildly around the place.

the_idiotb_stardson
14-01-2015, 10:47 AM

That would be a blunderbuss then. Presumably a blunderpuss sprays cats wildly around the place.[/quote]

Ha ha. You are getting warmer Col. Cats certainly have something to do with it.

Zilzal
14-01-2015, 10:25 PM
I have absolutely no objection to cats being shot to pieces whatever the method but do leave all dogs out of the ensuing mayhem that is still to come.

Cat lovers will hate me even more than they do already but in the ensuing conflict between SE and devoted followers of our club, there will inevitably be casualties. Stalin once said and I paraphrase, one death is a cause of sadness, 200,000 is a statistic.

Uncle Joe, Georgia's finest, was talking about people. However, his pronouncement could apply just as easily to cats (the sign "No Dogs allowed" is more than mere window-dressing).

There are some on here who are willing to swear that I was born, not an infant, but a ready-made adult, too high faluting to read comics. Roy of the Rovers and Rupert Bear and their annuals were my lifeblood. In fact, they still are in many respects.

Hence IBS, I imagined you were talking in code, taught to you and I by Kempo, a man of many parts. I knew blunderbuss was a gun from the past and an album