PDA

View Full Version : Sir Jack Heyward..Wolves

hampsteadclaret
13-01-2015, 06:30 PM
- has died aged 91 in Florida. A very good bloke from what I've just read, and if all football club Chairmen were as enlightened as him, the game would be in a better state; he did a great deal for Wolverhampton Wanderers FC, and a lot more stuff outside football..

[see the link] - view external link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30803931)

Rowls
13-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Yes, he built the modern football club that is Wolves. They owe him a lot and should probably have achieved a little more on the pitch for what he gave them.

Not enough chairmen like him.

RIP

Rowls
13-01-2015, 06:39 PM
And this is what Molineux looked like when he took over.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2nlr1h4.jpg

MrTopTier
13-01-2015, 06:44 PM
"A few months ago Sir Jack visited the Wolves museum and was shown his own tribute in the Hall of Fame. When asked to sign the visitors' book, his message was simple: 'Glad to have helped.'

Says it all, top class.

buxtonclaret
13-01-2015, 07:20 PM
Good pic that Rowls.
When was it taken?

Genuine footy supporter.
RIP Sir Jack.

Sadly seem to recall reading after he sold Wolves for a nominal fee, it causing a family rift

jollyjackclaret
13-01-2015, 07:25 PM
Remember going there in the early 80s, the wooden stand to the left was empty and the second "new" stand was being built, 2 stands open were the new stand and massive terrace for home and away fans. Always thought it a bit dodgy getting away from molineux after a game.

Rowls
13-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Don't know exactly Buxton.

I googled "1980s Molineux Wolves".

The first time I went to Wolves they had three of the new stands in place.

It was apparently one of the most intimidating of the old style grounds in 1970s. By the 1980s it was visibly dilapidated as the picture shows.

Although most of us long for the return of proper terracing, there can surely be no nostalgia for the p:ss-soaked crumbling old wrecks of concrete that passed for football grounds?

The Bedlington Terrier
13-01-2015, 07:39 PM
Had the pleasure to meet him at a function at the Belfry. Seemed remarkably at ease in his own skin. He did express an admiration for the Clarets which made him better than OK in my book!

ecc
13-01-2015, 07:48 PM
"In a unique deal Morgan agreed to buy the Club from Sir Jack Hayward for a token fee of 10 on condition he invested 30 million in the Midlands club."

buxtonclaret
13-01-2015, 07:58 PM
Cheers Rowls.
My dad took me a couple of times late 60s/early 70s.
Was also there with a big Claret following in '76 when they did us 3-2 but still ended up being relegated with us.
Asked because wasn't sure if that open end in the pic used to have a roof on back then.

longside4evr
13-01-2015, 08:38 PM
I am going to write something now, this is not having a go at the deceased its what happened
I meet Jack when Wolves opened the new state of the art training complex in Compton Rd.
I was contracted to do the joinery work on it after completing the groundmans office it was put to him in my presence and the groundsman too that would it be possible to install a work surface so they could make a coffee and somewhere to eat their lunch he said theirs enough grass to eat your lunch on lads they never got their work surface.
But they did have Sheringham on 70k a week jogging around the grass and Ince out injured creaming it.
They did go down that season and had a heftey wage bill to boot.

TheLonePoster
13-01-2015, 08:48 PM
Gosh Longside - that was SO interesting and insightful...:zzz:

mdd2
13-01-2015, 08:54 PM
Given where his companies were based some would say he used his money to build Wolves at the expense of the IR as he seems to have been a tax exile a la Jack Walker

longside4evr
13-01-2015, 08:55 PM
Why did you read it then i did not ask for your verdict on it just stating he had millions of pounds to throw at it but when the workers at grass root level ask for small pittance he refused a bit like your statement come to think of it.

IanMcL
14-01-2015, 12:11 AM
He ploughed his own money into Wolves and took none out. he built a fantastic facility out of a wreck and then ensured continued investment by a new owner.

He was an exception.

Well done Sir Jack. You did football proud.

abbobrom
14-01-2015, 02:00 PM
We never had Sherringham at the club so that is incorrect. He did purchase Lundy island for the nation and paid for the hospital rebuilt in the Faulklands after the war.

He was born very near Molineux and as a boy used to crawl under the turnstile to watch games.

longside4evr
14-01-2015, 02:10 PM
Yes your right there abbobrom it was that **** Darren Anderton that I was referring to my mistake

abbobrom
14-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Oh you mean sicknote.

ClaretTony2014
14-01-2015, 02:45 PM
"Good pic that Rowls.
When was it taken?"

We played there in 1986/87 & 1987/88 and the first new stand was built but virtually the rest of the ground had been shut down. That picture must have been from around then.

longside4evr
14-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Yes that's him hope you have a good season and make a fist of things anyway always like to play against Wolves theirs been some feisty affairs over the years good luck for the rest season

abbobrom
14-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Thanks for that Longside, just get big Sam Vokes back and amongst the goals and you will be safe.

BlackCountry
14-01-2015, 06:38 PM
Sir Jack deserves every gracious comment on his support of Wolves and other acts of philanthropy.

The Wolves signed many players past their best such as Hughes, Irwin, and Ince. They never however signed Sheringham.

TheLonePoster
14-01-2015, 08:05 PM
Darrren Anderton and Teddy Sheringham - almost like twins they were.

I'm not sure which is more amusing - longside@s football knowledge, or his grammar:D

Walton
14-01-2015, 10:54 PM
Jack Heyward was always one of thoses I was aware of growing up, and you just knew he was a decent bloke. A proper football man who helped his team in the best way he could.