PDA

View Full Version : Burnley in the Europa League.

DolceBFC
15-01-2015, 12:47 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/k2xxft.jpg

Granted their is still a 'fair' way to go in the season yet (see what i did there) it is possible we could qualify come the end of the season. Staying in the PL is obviously the main target and if that means a few yellow and red cards on the way so be it, but what a little bonus that would be aswell as staying up.

cricketfield72
15-01-2015, 12:52 PM
[i] Accy Clarets to KP-75/Kyytipojat.

topcat69
15-01-2015, 01:49 PM
Can we get relegated and still be in the Europa League?

IanMcL
15-01-2015, 01:51 PM
[no body]

ClaretTony2014
15-01-2015, 01:56 PM
"Can we get relegated and still be in the Europa League?"

Yes. We had this thread last week when the news first sort of surfaced. Stay up or go down, it's the last thing we want.

braindead
15-01-2015, 01:59 PM
It might be the last thing you want, me personally I would love to see us compete in Europe for the first time in my lifetime.

ClaretTony2014
15-01-2015, 02:01 PM
I would too, but it is not the best for the club.

The Bedlington Terrier
15-01-2015, 02:10 PM
Not buying into that one CT! It would be brilliant for the club, the town and Clarets fans worldwide.
I hope we do qualify but only as a Premier League club. With a few careful additions to our squad we should easily cope with the extra fixtures and I do so want to go away and watch my team in European competition!

Boliclaret
15-01-2015, 02:29 PM
The general consensus seem's to be that unless you're one of the big European sides then you'll just lose money.

I'd be very interested if it happened though, I'd love it if they got drawn against Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, I could walk to the game. :)

ClaretTony2014
15-01-2015, 02:34 PM
"Not buying into that one CT"

It would cost us money, it would shorten our summer break, which would be detrimental, and we could be left with far too many games to play.

Far too many reasons why it is not in the best interest of the club.

As much as I would love to see us play in European competition again, I don't think it is a good idea for a club such as ours to be playing in the Europa League.

todclaret
15-01-2015, 02:36 PM
I've been to Dnipropetrovsk - great place

Rick_Muller
15-01-2015, 02:44 PM
do we have to play the first team in the competition? if not, it'd be a great way of developing some of the squad players during preseason.

Boliclaret
15-01-2015, 02:45 PM
Todclaret, was that for the England game when Green got sent off?

Jamb0MackemClaret
15-01-2015, 02:52 PM
Football is about glory and amazing experiences imo, so while I understand the reasons given above, I'd still absolutely love it if we qualified for Europe. When would be a good opportunity?

Thursday nights, Channel 5. Bring it on.

ClaretTony2014
15-01-2015, 03:05 PM
"I'd still absolutely love it if we qualified for Europe."

So would I, but I'm more concerned for the club than me getting a couple of games in somewhere in Europe.

When would be a good opportunity? - I would suggest if and when we become an established Premier League club that can cope with it.

AuntSally
15-01-2015, 03:07 PM
As soon as we've mathetmatically stayed up, we'll need to snap a few legs, mixed with a few flying headbutts to make sure we don't qualify.

the_quoon
15-01-2015, 03:12 PM
such a rubbish way to qualify.

like someone is patting us on the head and saying "awww, here's a treat for being good."

edison
15-01-2015, 03:24 PM
This same story was doing the rounds in 2010. Turned out we wouldn't have qualified even had Fulham won the Europa league final.

I wonder have there been similar stories written every year about other newly-promoted/relegation-threatened teams.

claretgreenwood4
It may be a hindrance but one early european qualifier that we could use as a friendly would be superb. I'd love to see one european Burnley trip in my lifetime. A square of a small town somewhere in Europe, full of clarets basking in the sun drinking the place dry.

I don't know how anyone cannot fancy it when we have trail to places like QPR.

Rileybobs
If we got a lucky draw you could coincide a match with a week away at one of your holiday retreats.

summitclaret
Some people are getting way ahead of themselves. However, getting in the Europey league would almost guarantee relegation for a small club like ours. Wigan and Ipswich have never recovered.

If it was a knock out thing then I would be more likely to be in favour.

edison
15-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Even if we did qualify, could we opt-out?

Hipper
15-01-2015, 03:37 PM
Ipswich in 2002-03 were in The Championship and the Europa League. They finished 7th.

claretspice
15-01-2015, 03:59 PM
"Stay up or go down, it's the last thing we want."

I can understand that viewpoint, but I'm not sure I can understand how someone reconciles it with wanting us to play a full strength team in the FA cup this week and last. Either you want us to be in every competition we can be in and take every opportunity to do something special, or you don't.

DiBraidio
15-01-2015, 04:05 PM
Haven't Tottenham played 35 games already this season? That's 14 more than us. A lot more than the handful of cup games we've played.

karatekid
15-01-2015, 04:15 PM
Come on guys. Just imagine it. Getting a home draw against the mighty Trelleborg and giving them a good hiding. They could then go and visit their old mates down the road and talk about the old times. :D

claretspice
15-01-2015, 04:21 PM
We've played 24 I think. - 21 league, 3 cup. But if we'd gone as far as Spuds have in the league cup we'd have played another 4 (I think).

So its 7 less. Sure, its a lot, and I can very well see the point about it being too much for a club like ours at this stage.

ashtonlongsider
15-01-2015, 04:23 PM
Have to agree with CT and Summit.
As someone who works alongside Wigan Latics supporters, they enjoyed the ride. It was romantic going to Belguim and Eastern Europe but when reality set in they accept it played a significant role in their downfall.
Let's steer clear.

todclaret
15-01-2015, 04:32 PM
Boliclaret - indeed it was! cheap as chips over there.

cricketfield72
15-01-2015, 04:34 PM
I think qualification for the Europa League would be a poisoned chalice.
I do like the thought as mentioned higher up of a square somewhere full of Clarets soaking up the summer sun, but I think that's currently best left for a pre-season friendly.

Can we opt out?

Boliclaret
16-01-2015, 07:48 AM
Todclaret, hope this pic works. - view external link (http://i58.tinypic.com/2njao21.jpg)

Lakes_Claret
16-01-2015, 10:29 AM
How on earth any fan wouldn't want to see their club in Europe is beyond me.

Are people forgetting we'd have to negotiate 3 qualifying rounds just to get into the "leauge"

There's some very tidy sides in those rounds as well and the chances of making the leauge would be slim for us.

Any premiership squad should easily be able to handle a few midweek euro games (with most prem fixtures being kicked off a day or so later to accomodate)

Quite how it contributed to Wigans downfall I'm not so sure..a rancid manager and a club of mercenaries didnt help their cause.

All academic anyway,I think they dust down these annual stories along with the "brits on holiday booze binges" and "hottest summer since dinosaurs roamed the earth" type guffery.