PDA

View Full Version : Steve Evans Criticism

Lasterman
19-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Let me start by saying that were in no better or worse position than I anticipated at the start of the season, but its the manner of how weve arrived where we are that gives cause for concern and doubt that theres an obvious way out.

In my view, the manager has to take much of the responsibility for the situation we are in, as he rightly took the credit for how we arrived in this division. Is any of the following unfair criticism of how hes handling things at the moment?

1. Making public criticism of individual players after defeats. What good can that do to morale and confidence?

2. Senseless berating of officials over minor issues, which reached new heights with a fiasco on Saturday over a throw in that would have done justice to being turned down for a stone wall penalty. Can that really help our cause or the discipline of the team?

3. Introduction of new playing style at 3 days notice mid season as a knee-jerk reaction to a couple of bad results. Play the same style as

hillsborough miller
19-01-2015, 12:07 PM
[quote="Lasterman"]Let me start by saying that were in no better or worse position than I anticipated at the start of the season, but its the manner of how weve arrived where we are that gives cause for concern and doubt that theres an obvious way out.

In my view, the manager has to take much of the responsibility for the situation we are in, as he rightly took the credit for how we arrived in this division. Is any of the following unfair criticism of how hes handling things at the moment?

1. Making public criticism of individual players after defeats. What good can that do to morale and confidence?

2. Senseless berating of officials over minor issues, which reached new heights with a fiasco on Saturday over a throw in that would have done justice to being turned down for a stone wall penalty. Can that really help our cause or the discipline of the team?

3. Introduction of new playing style at 3 days notice mid season as a knee-jerk reaction to a

PeteWaller
19-01-2015, 12:36 PM
Another good post.

outlaw
19-01-2015, 12:43 PM
How much criticism did Moore get in his first season in the Championship? I can't remember.

leedsmiller
19-01-2015, 12:56 PM
Wouldn't disagree with any of the points raised but SE is under tremendous pressure to retain our Championship status. So much so that his frustrations boil over and he adopts what many perceive - me included - as erroneous decisions, bordering on panic measures. I'm not condoning his actions in the slightest but he shouldn't be singled out. The Chairman makes the decisions on finances, the coaching staff prepare the team, the scouts identify prospective signings... in addition many of the players themselves haven't produced on the field.

That said, now isn't the time for apportioning blame. Everybody needs to pull together over the next three months, redouble their efforts and work harder than they've done before. We all know what awaits if we don't.

hillsborough miller
19-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Wouldn't disagree with any of the points raised but SE is under tremendous pressure to retain our Championship status. So much so that his frustrations boil over and he adopts what many perceive - me included - as erroneous decisions, bordering on panic measures. I'm not condoning his actions in the slightest but he shouldn't be singled out. The Chairman makes the decisions on finances, the coaching staff prepare the team, the scouts identify prospective signings... in addition many of the players themselves haven't produced on the field.

That said, now isn't the time for apportioning blame. Everybody needs to pull together over the next three months, redouble their efforts and work harder than they've done before. We all know what awaits if we don't.

1) he has the finances to get players then fallen out with them so how much has he wasted on paying people contracts or paying players wages on loan at bury that could have been

riccallmiller
19-01-2015, 01:10 PM
Good reply Leeds, i expected a struggle and its not the time for finger pointing and blaming the manager.

jcolledge
19-01-2015, 01:29 PM
loaned players is not the way forward long term, however I feel he is now panicking and needs to make changes fast. No one can argue that Hammill is not better than what we had and fryers should be a good signing.

As many have said before, he needs to get his scouting sorted as many the players we had on 2/3 year contracts are deemed not good enough by January.

He needs a mixture of A couple of loans and the rest contracted. Players needs stability and time to gel, changing the personnel every week will not create this.

millertop
19-01-2015, 01:51 PM
Stone wall penalty?
I was at the other side and did think Collin was about to make an error so I didn't really look ;D but nothing given.

collecting
19-01-2015, 02:06 PM
Ronnie Moores championship was the equivalent of league one standard so any comparison is pointless.

The championship is the equivalent now to the old division one (as premiership is virtually all imports).

Steve Evans will get it right.
All admitted promotion came early and with it an inadequate squad.

If scouting was so easy (note very few constructive suggestions from millersmad)football would be a different entity.

BigLadonOS
19-01-2015, 02:29 PM
[quote="Lasterman"]

He is Steve Evans he says what he wants.
Joking aside. He is the manager and if he wants to do it that way he has every right to do it that way. Do we stop him giving praise to players too?

This is him showing his passion for his players and the club. Rather he be this way than do or say nothing at all.

3. Introduction of new playing style at 3 days notice mid season as a knee-jerk reaction to a couple of bad results. Play the same style as teams with better players and there is only one result.

Styles, formations, Tactics are all part of the game and the higher you g

TimeforAle
19-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Opening post is what sensible folk like me have been saying for ages - you cannot break down the die hard blind passion of the sheep though...

riccallmiller
19-01-2015, 06:30 PM
How can you have been saying them for ages when most of the points raised are in relation to recent examples. some people just want to knock us and wont be happy until we are relegated.

BigLadonOS
19-01-2015, 07:35 PM
Opening post is what sensible folk like me have been saying for ages - you cannot break down the die hard blind passion of the sheep though...

Will you go quiet again if he keeps us up?

Lasterman
20-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Just heard Mr Evans on radio, blaming the high turnover of players recently on clubs that had misled him about the length of time players were available for. He criticised them (I'm assuming Man Utd, Leicester, Middlesborough and Leeds) for recalling players and then not giving them game time.

Well firstly, they're their players to do what they want with and we shouldn't be relying on them, secondly they've hardly had time to give them any game time and thirdly, having a go about it is hardly going to help if and when we want to loan from those clubs again.

leedsmiller
20-01-2015, 10:57 AM
We're hardly renowned for giving players game time...