PDA

View Full Version : Derbyshire Epithany

Lasterman
20-01-2015, 11:09 AM
Much to my surprise, I've come to the conclusion that Derbyshire should be starting every game. Bear with me, there is some logic.

I think everyone agrees that he's missed at least a dozen good chances this season. But apart from Green, I can't think of anyone else who has missed a significant number of chances. When Derbyshire doesn't play there are no more goals being scored, but there are a lot less chances being created and missed. The implication is that Derbyshire is creating chances that wouldn't exist if he wasn't playing - not missing chances that someone else would be in a position to put away.

So in the absence of the mythical 20 goal striker we're hoping for, I reckon Debtshire is our best bet. Something is bound to go in for him soon and when it does I suspect the floodgates will open.

TimeforAle
20-01-2015, 11:34 AM
You lost me at starting every game...

DavidR__9
20-01-2015, 11:41 AM
It's not an unreasonable view.

His movement is that of a well coached forward. He knows where he should be running.

But...

1. He doesn't really run like he really means it. Watch how often he starts his run and then just slows down enough to make sure he doesn't actually have to challenge for the ball. He looks like he's working hard and running intelligently, but he's not really. I suspect it's partly a confidence thing (he doesn't really seem to want the ball) and partly the result of a career strewn with nasty injuries.

2. There's not a huge amount of signs that he's going to get a goal any time soon. Because of the way he makes his runs, he often gets into position a fraction too soon or too late and his body shape is wrong. That's why he hits chances over and wide. Again, it could well be a confidence thing - I guess this is why you often hear people say that a forward just needs one to hit him and go in.

3. His career to date hasn't ever seen the floodgates open. He'

millertop
20-01-2015, 11:42 AM
Much to my surprise, I've come to the conclusion that Derbyshire should be starting every game. Bear with me, there is some logic.

I think everyone agrees that he's missed at least a dozen good chances this season. But apart from Green, I can't think of anyone else who has missed a significant number of chances. When Derbyshire doesn't play there are no more goals being scored, but there are a lot less chances being created and missed. The implication is that Derbyshire is creating chances that wouldn't exist if he wasn't playing - not missing chances that someone else would be in a position to put away.

So in the absence of the mythical 20 goal striker we're hoping for, I reckon Debtshire is our best bet. Something is bound to go in for him soon and when it does I suspect the floodgates will open.

I'm with you.

millertop
20-01-2015, 11:54 AM
[quote="DavidR__9"]It's not an unreasonable view.

His movement is that of a well coached forward. He knows where he should be running.

But...

1. He doesn't really run like he really means it. Watch how often he starts his run and then just slows down enough to make sure he doesn't actually have to challenge for the ball. He looks like he's working hard and running intelligently, but he's not really. I suspect it's partly a confidence thing (he doesn't really seem to want the ball) and partly the result of a career strewn with nasty injuries.

2. There's not a huge amount of signs that he's going to get a goal any time soon. Because of the way he makes his runs, he often gets into position a fraction too soon or too late and his body shape is wrong. That's why he hits chances over and wide. Again, it could well be a confidence thing - I guess this is why you often hear people say that a forward just needs one to hit him and go in.

3. His career to

tom12026
20-01-2015, 01:49 PM
I reckon we ought to double his wages-then he could maybe buy a goal.

jolly_roger
20-01-2015, 01:51 PM
Derbyshire epiphany?

I think Derbyshire put the phany in epiphany so you're half way there.