PDA

View Full Version : O/T Golf

LincsMiller
04-02-2015, 08:19 PM
Tony Jacklin is quoted today saying that people who watch golf will have Sky tv so it doesn't matter that BBC have lost the live coverage of the Open as from next year.
Is he right?

jolly_roger
04-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Yes

I can now see pictures of sky and grass in glorious high definition.

LincsMiller
04-02-2015, 08:38 PM
But if his logic is correct, Sky have paid out millions but won't get any new subscribers, I didn't think Sky were that benevolent

gm_gm
04-02-2015, 08:48 PM
The Open should be on the Beeb

walter10
04-02-2015, 09:15 PM
Rather than gaining customers I think Sky are battling not to lose them to BT.

CAMiller
04-02-2015, 09:37 PM
People say golf is a boring sport to watch. I can assure you that watching the same sets of adverts every 2-3 minutes that you get with the non-BBC coverage is far worse than watching uninterrupted 'action'.

jolly_roger
04-02-2015, 09:39 PM

Well their strategy appears to be working at the moment, according to the BBC:-

"Sky has reported its greatest increase in UK customers in nearly a decade with aggressive broadband pricing and its streaming service Now TV driving growth.

In its home market, the recently expanded group added 204,000 new retail customers in the second quarter, the highest figure since 2005.

It helped deliver a 5pc increase in sales across Sky in the first half of the year to 5.6bn, on a like-for-like and constant currency basis"

loyalmiller
04-02-2015, 09:54 PM
I'm probably not the best person to comment because firstly I've got Sky and secondly I don't like golf. All I can say is, is that Sky do sports coverage better.

Take F1 for instance, full channel dedicated to the sport including live practise laps, superb race coverage where you can even ride on board with any of the drivers and full race card from every circuit whilst the BBC are cramming it in between Farming Sunday and Eastenders omnibus.

LincsMiller
04-02-2015, 09:59 PM
Another reason I'm glad I don't pay for Sky

walter10
04-02-2015, 11:20 PM

"Sky has reported its greatest increase in UK customers in nearly a decade with aggressive broadband pricing and its streaming service Now TV driving growth.

In its home market, the recently expanded group added 204,000 new retail customers in the second quarter, the highest figure since 2005.

It helped deliver a 5pc increase in sales across Sky in the first half of the year to 5.6bn, on a like-for-like and constant currency basis"[/quote]

Interesting.

BT are attempting to buy EE. The market is predicted to be shifting to a complete package of tv, moving streaming, broadband and mobiles. When/if BT complete the purchase they will become increasingly strong in the market (Sky cant offer the mobile option which is their b

Brin
05-02-2015, 08:33 PM

It helped deliver a 5pc increase in sales across Sky in the first half of the year to 5.6bn, on a like-for-like and constant currency basis"[/quote]

Interesting.

BT are attempting to buy EE. The market is predicted to be shifting to a complete package of tv, moving streaming, broadband and mobiles. When/if BT complete the purchase they will become increasingly strong in the market (Sky