PDA

View Full Version : How much will we have to spend if we go down

BURNLEY2014
06-03-2015, 08:45 AM
Assuming we do go down and lose the likes of Ings and Marney is out for a year how much will we have to spend to try and strengthen the team accordingly. Hopefully this time all wages will reduce back down to a sustainable level.

LoveCurryPies
06-03-2015, 08:56 AM
My fear is we will lose Trippier, Ings, Heaton, Vokes, Mee, Kightly...

We could certainly be cash rich but in need of a new squad. Doomed!! :blue:

Quickenthetempo
06-03-2015, 09:36 AM
We will lose Ings defo but none of the others will go. A newly promoted side might try and get Tripps but even they would have a bigger budget than the Burnley players I would think.

Last time we brought quite a few new players in when we went down. Lets hope we can again this year if we do go down. Get the conveyor belt of young players going again.

royboyclaret
06-03-2015, 09:43 AM
Impossible to say right now, too many variables between now and the end of the August window.

Nothing to suggest, however, that we'd deviate too much from our conservative approach to spending.

JohnMcGreal
06-03-2015, 09:46 AM
We won't need to spend anything. There's good value in the free transfer market, as the last 12 months have proved.

SethHowarthsHair
06-03-2015, 09:48 AM
My fear is we will lose Trippier, Ings, Heaton, Vokes, Mee, Kightly...

We could certainly be cash rich but in need of a new squad. Doomed!! :blue:

Vokes,Mee,Kightly??? what planet are you on?

ksrclaret
06-03-2015, 09:50 AM
However much we spend it's essential that most of it is spent on acquiring young talent.

If I might throw a out there, Ryan Jack, highly rated 23 year old Aberdeen midfielder. Interesting a few teams in Europe if some papers are to be believed.

royboyclaret
06-03-2015, 10:20 AM
"We would certainly be cash rich"

Why would we be cash rich?

The loss of the PL TV revenue will be a massive miss to be replaced by year one parachute payments of 24m, but it's unlikely the team manager, whether that's Dyche or Warburton, will see much of that.

beddie
06-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Not a lot I imagine. The most important thing is to keep the current Manager.

Pidgeon
06-03-2015, 10:32 AM
I suspect we will hear about how we have to comply with FFP. We will probably invest in another left back but fail to strengthen central midfield. Jones will have to hold the fort. ;D

claretspice
06-03-2015, 10:33 AM
Well, last time we were relegated we spent aroundd 3 million quid following relegation, having spent considerably more during our period in the Premier League, and despite receiving a hell of a lot less in income, so I'd like to think there will be a decent budget this summer, perhaps in the region of 8 million net of any revenues received for sales.

I'd not expect us to lose anyone but Ings, Trippier and possibly (especially if Bournemouth go up) Shackell, but without doubt we'll have to replace Marney as well as presumably he'll be out for a considerable chunk of the first half of next season.

SethHowarthsHair
06-03-2015, 10:47 AM
ClaretSpice, I understand where you are coming from but there's no chance we will spend anywhere near 8 million as we will have the same issues we have had this year, we cant afford decent players wages. Our wage bill will be bottom half championship as soon as we come down, Burnley have no appeal.

BOYSIE31
06-03-2015, 11:00 AM
So people think we will spend almost as much as we have done this season while in the prem.

Oh Dear

My question would be what players we might be able to attract while back in the championship because we could not while in the prem.

So lets hope we can stay up by the skin of our teeth.

royboyclaret
06-03-2015, 11:03 AM
" so I'd like to think there will be a decent budget this summer"

Now that surprises me coming from you Spice, don't think you believe that for one minute.

Perhaps you left off the smiley. ;D

JohnMcGreal
06-03-2015, 11:04 AM
I admire your optimism, Spice.

lotty1
06-03-2015, 11:04 AM
The only way we can attract the top players is to pay way over the odds which quite rightly we won't do for obvious reasons .

Even if we did how many extra fans would attend the games ? Add to that if we did sign players for too much money and they didn't perform someone would have to be blamed .:D

Deadlydave
06-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Well if most of the comments on here come to pass, it sounds like we are booked for death by a thousand cuts and a return to the 3rd divison!!!!

It begs the question if we with a small Squad can't afford players and wages what the blazes are all the clubs lower down doing with even smaller gates and bigger squads than us???

davet
06-03-2015, 12:00 PM
Three quid... we'll only spend three quid... we'll only spend three quid... we'll only spend three quid...

Ealing_Claret
06-03-2015, 12:22 PM
It could be a coincidence, but has anyone seen that massive building that's being built just off Eastern Avenue? Brand new dry powder storage depot?

ksrclaret
06-03-2015, 12:29 PM
So we shouldn't sign players for a larger transfer fee in case they don't perform and then someone has to be blamed.

Amazing

GordonvaleClaret
06-03-2015, 01:02 PM

DorsetDave
06-03-2015, 01:24 PM
We have spent virtually sod all in the grand scheme of things to keep us in the PL so if relegation does happen we are going have even less money to play with.

gosia
06-03-2015, 01:34 PM
We could get 6m+ plus for Ings and maybe 2-3m for Tripps if he were to go too.

Given we'd need to bring in at least three players to replace Ings, Tripps and Marney then I would expect us to spend at least 6m and probably more given current prices unless we snap up a couple of bargains(say 0.5m each) from the lower leagues who can slot straight in.

Whatever and with whomever it will be a difficult season and I fear we'll struggle to get close to the top 6 in the championship.

lotty1
06-03-2015, 01:37 PM
ksrclaret - just a couple of points .
1/ That's not what I said .
2/ You obviously missed the smiley - or did you ? :s

dushanbe
06-03-2015, 01:42 PM
Whatever it is, it'll be a season too late

Bin_Ont_Turf
06-03-2015, 01:43 PM
Well unless Dyche was lying there was money to spend in January.

So I think that he'll get at least the Ings money to play with in the summer. Hopefully the Ings thing should be done early so that Dyche will have at least two months to bring A BLOODY CENTRE MIDFIELDER IN! :D

murger
06-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Anybody who thinks we'll spend a decent amount are seriously deluded.

Squarepusher
06-03-2015, 03:26 PM
"We could get 6m+ plus for Ings and maybe 2-3m for Tripps if he were to go too."

Highly doubt we'll be getting 6m+ from a tribunal.

corkcityclaret59
06-03-2015, 03:28 PM
Nothing,we spent it all on paint,lol

sheffieldturfite
06-03-2015, 03:35 PM
Ings and Austin were the exceptions in that they cost a seven figure fee, but based on what we paid for Heaton, Trippier, Jones, Marney and Vokes (less than 2m for 5 players) we have shown that we can build a side that can win promotion without spending too much money.

Laws' purchase of Marney was probably the most pivotal signing, based on how badly we do when he is missing, but all three recent managers have shown we can be an attractive club to come to, whoever the manager is.

Being the top side in the North West other than the big city clubs has got to be a draw too :-)

royboyclaret
06-03-2015, 04:09 PM
Forgotten that Laws was responsible for signing Marney, my God how we miss Deano now.

Probably the difference between survival or otherwise.

dallasclaret
06-03-2015, 04:21 PM
"maybe 2-3m for Tripps"

that is one of the funniest things I've ever read on here

Boliclaret
06-03-2015, 04:32 PM
Spice usually hits rather than misses but that post was definately a fly in the oitment.

8M at Championship level with our board? You're having a giraffe. :s

poultonclaret
06-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Ealing - that's exactly what i was thinking. you beat me to it!!! can't have too much dry powder. :D

clareturion
06-03-2015, 08:30 PM
Absolutely nothing, zero, naught, nowt, sweet FA. No point if we continue to treat promotion as a season's excursions to visit clubs serious about football.

Suggest we nail our true ambition to the mast and leave the serious success seeking mercenaries to it and adopt an amateur status.

army88
06-03-2015, 08:55 PM
I think most of you have forgotten that most of the players out there don't meet our valuations , so even the ones we said we were interested in are never coming because we basically said there not worth the money.
can't do much for players egos that.
I am quite interested to see what we actually class as a player who is worth the gamble and the money etc.
I think tbh that we will need to invest at least what has been mentioned on posts above because some are saying we may lose shackell mee tripper etc as well as Ing's , what about Sordell Taylor juke tvic and Reid who'avent been involved and aren't likely to be either.
let me have a think about
How much money we could recoup on these fine assets

thedonz
06-03-2015, 09:33 PM
If we go down Dyche will go before Christmas , even earlier, and decent money will be made available for a new manager.
I also cant argue strongly with the opinion expressed by quite a few at the beginning of the season that some of our signings such as Sordell, Jutkiewicz and Taylor were with a view to instant relegation back to the Championship.
So I dont see a great deal of rebuilding other than a need to replace Ings with a pacy striker with more creativity than Sordell.

bodge
06-03-2015, 09:37 PM
Hell fire thedonz, if there's not at least 2 central midfielders brought in then we may as well wave the white flag.

At least one really good one as well.

thedonz
06-03-2015, 09:40 PM
sorry how could I forget that position - I must be in denial.
The club have to get that one right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bodge
06-03-2015, 09:47 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if we're back in for Lansbury or Dorrans.

There's no doubt that we have to add goals in this area. Someone who can occasionally do what Henderson and Colback have done to us this season.

thedonz
06-03-2015, 10:06 PM
Maybe a couple of changes off the field then might not be a bad idea

daveisaclaret
06-03-2015, 10:22 PM
8 million quid as a budget is like 3 million for transfer fees and 5 below-average Championship contracts. If we're not willing to spend that we're unlikely to be going anywhere fast.

bodge
06-03-2015, 10:40 PM
There will be undoubtedly outgoings as well dave freeing up more of the budget, Ings for example.

Whilst we need ideally to go for the young players with sell on potential, it's ***** like last time we buy the likes of Dean Marney if we go for the worst case scenario.

It's all well and good looking for the future but we need to compete in the here and now, not that i've given up this season.

We've still a great chance.

daveisaclaret
06-03-2015, 10:46 PM
Dean Marney (if I recall correctly) was a pretty whelming signing for 750k and an above average Championship wage.

I'm willing to admit I've no idea how much we'd spend after relegation, but it's pretty clear an 8 million pound war chest isn't something out of the question for a relegated team committing to spending parachute payments on playing staff.

bodge
06-03-2015, 10:50 PM
I would hope we've got more than that tbh, given the lack of activity in Jan and the increased revenues we've had this season, it's all about the salaries over the three year contracts for us.

We're in a damn good position whatever happens.

The Bedlington Terrier
07-03-2015, 09:10 AM
We have spent virtually nothing upon entry into the Premier League.
How much does anyone seriously expect us to spend on going back into the Championship?
Ings, Trippier & perhaps Boyd will go through the exit door along with SD.
Depends on how much determination to achieve promotion again our joint Chairmen have.
Depressing scenario, it really is.

taio
07-03-2015, 09:22 AM
Claret13552, if you find it so depressing you should consider for a moment what it must be like for the supporters of many other similar clubs. Once you've done that then perhaps take a heavy dose of realism and recognise that two seasons in the premier league, alongside a long sustained period in the Championship, is a considerable achievement for Burnley.

Steve_Harpers_Perm
07-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Bar Ings Id be surprised to see anyone else leave other than the likes of fringe players like Wallace. The key will be to tie Dyche down to a longer deal along with the likes of Shackell.

If we can recruit wisely and add some pace and skill to the midfield like we should have done in the last two transfer windows we should be strong enough to bounce back if we do end up going down.

Hardly remember clubs lining up to buy our best players last time we went down apart from Fletcher.

albo_claret
07-03-2015, 10:18 AM
We'll spend the absolute minimum. Which I suppose is always the aim.

We might replace a striker buy a midfielder, release a couple.

Then we'll spend the next 3 or so seasons saying things like. "parachute payments wont last forever" "we need to reduce the wage bill" "FFP hits us hard" "dry powder" "couldn't get them over the line" "no enough time to complete" "other clubs pulled the plug" "overpriced market"

;D :? >:) :/

This is all assuming we go down though...

other wise we don't need to sign anyone else but a replacement for DI

royboyclaret
07-03-2015, 10:19 AM
taio...always sense that your posts are genuine and sensible and post#47 is another example of that. But surely we should have made a more determined effort to retain our place in the Premier League.

So the suspicion has to be, for the second time, that the people who matter are content to retreat to the comfort blanket of the Championship. And that approach will earn them few friends amongst manager, players and especially the fans who all can see the benefits of staying at the top table.

clareturion
07-03-2015, 10:30 AM
Claret13552, if you find it so depressing you should consider for a moment what it must be like for the supporters of many other similar clubs. Once you've done that then perhaps take a heavy dose of realism and recognise that two seasons in the premier league, alongside a long sustained period in the Championship, is a considerable achievement for Burnley.

Consider yourself suitably chastised claret13552. How dare you question the club's ambition. How can you NOT be satisfied with 2nd or 3rd best, boardroom timidity, apathetic strategies at strengthening the side and hollow platitudes from above. Take your dose of realism that the BFC board and the CKCF ( the clarets knitting circle fraternity ) are doing their utmost to continue the BFC sacred tradition of mediocrity and comfort zone management whilst you pay through the nose for the privilege of watching their torpidity. ;-D

stalbansclaret
07-03-2015, 12:00 PM
Or maybe what tiao is saying is just the truth Clareturion ie the reality as opposed to your ongoing, sadly unrealistic, desire for us to have the means of a Man City, or even a Stoke City. I'm as hacked off as the next fan that we are likely going back down but realistically it was always going to be a strong possibility and I don't think it's necessarily being "small time" to reflect that so many of our peer group , and indeed larger, clubs would kill to be in our position.

enola_gay
07-03-2015, 12:13 PM
So the suspicion has to be, for the second time, that the people who matter are content to retreat to the comfort blanket of the Championship. And that approach will earn them few friends amongst manager, players and especially the fans who all can see the benefits of staying at the top table.

This.

taio
07-03-2015, 12:19 PM
Royboy, you posts are well balanced and I wouldn't disagree with you on that. The lack of transfer activity in the last two windows has been disappointing, particularly the one in January. We desperately needed a central midfielder - everyone knew that - and it sort of felt like an injury to Marney or Jones was almost inevitable once we didn't sign one.

Clareturion, I don't think I 'chastised' anyone - a strong word used to dramatise my post. Of course people can question the club's ambition - people have raised some very valid points over the last months, especially around the retainer and our lack of signings. But I accept I do get frustrated with those that are constantly negative and unrealistic, for example you, or the fickle whose opinions change like the wind from one week to the next. For example, one week recently Claret13552 was 'chastising' Ings at every opportunity on multiples threads, concluding that he 'hated' him...not long after he was full of praise. In terms of

morninbob
07-03-2015, 12:48 PM
can't see the wage bill getting anywhere near 30M, JohnB said that pre season before the last 2 disastrous transfer windows.

clareturion
07-03-2015, 01:02 PM
St Albans

A position to kill for ?.IF you consider Rovers, Blackpool,Wigan and PNE our peer group I can see your point.Unfortunately I do not and I believe such thought will only lead to complacency and eventual decline. Our peers should be other aspirantly successful PL teams such as Swansea and Southampton.

taio

Understand your frustration,but mine is with people who constantly put forward our shortcomings and failures as something to celebrate.

stalbansclaret
07-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Clareturion...Southampton is a bad example as they were bankrolled massively by the Liebherr family...indeed were in administration prior to their involvement and getting their kicks by throwing stuff at us from the pitch. With other "aspirants" like Stoke similarly financed by sugar-daddies this really only leaves Swansea as a comparable club.
A quick check on Wikipedia shows Swansea spent under 7M the summer they got promoted (2011) on a goalkeeper, Leroy Lita and Danny Graham !! They spent nothing in January. So essentially they were no more "ambitious" than we have been. They stayed up and built from there, which obviously we would love to do as well but your criticism is in reality limited to the fact that we are not as good a team as Swansea were in identical circumstances in 2011

claretspice
07-03-2015, 05:57 PM
Swansea were of course promoted during the previous tv deal when the revenues from premier league football were vastly smaller and so their spend, proportionately, was far more than hours. As indeed was our spend in 09/09, unbelievably.

harrowclaret
07-03-2015, 06:08 PM
stalbansclaret

You say that Swansea spent nothing in that January and were therefore no more "ambitious" than Burnley have been.
Perhaps Swansea had adequate cover for most positions and did not feel the need to bring in another player(s). Or, like us, did they just have 2 in central midfield and hoped for the best?

stalbansclaret
07-03-2015, 07:10 PM
harrowclaret ...fair point and I;m not for a moment saying we have done everything right...but the difficulties we have faced bringing targets in have been well documented and the point I am trying to make is simply that there is really only one club in similar circumstances who have done a lot better than us (There are plenty who have done worse of course ...the football league is fairly chock full of them) and they didn't do it by slinging loads of money they could ill afford at it...they just happened to have a stronger team it seems. I don't think Spice's point about proportionate spend really negates the crux of my point either.
It's just very easy to accuse us of being small time/unambitious etc but there are not a lot of successful role models when you really look at it.

harrowclaret
07-03-2015, 10:04 PM
stalbansclaret

Before the Premier League season kicked off I made the point on this board that in 8 of the previous 10 seasons the club with the smallest wage bill and transfer budget suffered relegation. That statistic of course included Burnley during our last campaign in the Premier League.

The point that you are making in singling out Swansea as Premier League survivors merely reinforces the argument that I made many months ago.

texasbrit
08-03-2015, 06:15 AM
We will spend what ever revenue was generated by the voucher retainer scheme that's what it was implemented for, to provide next seasons transfer pot ;D

moltisanti
08-03-2015, 06:26 AM
Buying the likes of Juke,Sordell,Taylor,and Reid showed exactly the ambition at the club and consequently a complete waste of resources for a club supposedly so prudent .

army88
08-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Spot on moltisanti,