PDA

View Full Version : O/T.. Green Party to stand in Burnley...

Clarets4me
07-03-2015, 06:24 PM
What sort of support do you think they'll get, given some of their more "out-there" policies such as abolishing all border controls and replacing the armed forces, with a "Civil Defence Force" ?? - view external link (http://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/local/green-party-to-stand-in-general-election-in-burnley-1-7137722)

mdd2
07-03-2015, 06:58 PM
If we want to go back to the stone age then the Greens are worth your vote;but they are a good protest vote if anyone wants to protest. Hopefully none will as there is a good chance there will be another Thatcher type calling the shots to benefit just 9% of the population after the dust has settled and deals have been done

As an after thought anyone think she is caviar?>:)

IanMcL
07-03-2015, 07:14 PM
I recall it was a bad season when we played in green!

ColdPieWarmBeer
07-03-2015, 07:20 PM
They won't get much support on account of the fact that the electorate is generally too pi$$ed up and merry to think beyond the gospel of the right-wing editorial, and boy does the neo-con orthodoxy have a big mouth. Nobody in their right mind voting for the greens is doing so envisioning any kind of presence in the commons. It might be the end-game, sure, but at the moment they exist to give the 'left' the $hits, to drag the left back across the centre line and away from being the weekend-Tories that Labour have become.

Hopefully none will as there is a good chance there will be another Thatcher type calling the shots to benefit just 9% of the population after the dust has settled and deals have been done

Assuming this is coming from a leftist perspective, this is the problem with short-termism, with cowardice and with reverting to type at the eleventh hour even though you know it isn't right. Nothing ever changes because parties know they can take your vote for granted.

conyoviejo
07-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Perhaps they should call themselves the Brown Party. They are full of schite

paderbornclaret
07-03-2015, 07:30 PM
If you are of a certain age, you might just be suprised who their candidate might be...if they are successful in the selection process of course.

conyoviejo
07-03-2015, 07:34 PM
Surely not the Green cross code man ?

bobinho
07-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Utterly, utterly pointless.

What on earth do they think they are likely to achieve here? Where do they think the interest in their policies will come from? This is Burnley FFS!!!

I'm not associated or affiliated to any particular political party, but one thing I am absolutely sure of is this...we CANNOT allow Milibands group of lunatics to be given the purse strings again.

JeremyBender
07-03-2015, 08:04 PM
Deluded lot. - view external link (www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne482i56Gqg)

Clarets4me
07-03-2015, 08:21 PM
For what it's worth, I have every respect for any Candidate who's prepared to put their head above the paraphet, & stand up for what they believe.
I don't agree with the Greens on much at all, but I think they'll poll between 1000/1500 votes, from disillusioned former Lab & Lib Dem voters, and also 1st time and protest voters..

wherewasi
07-03-2015, 08:31 PM
If anybody is thinking of voting for them; just read their manifesto properly. Lunatic fringe doesn't begin to describe them with the most unattractive, dictatorial, fascist approach of any of the parties. You WILL do as they say. You WILL think as they think.

Balanbam00
07-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Just had a glance at their manifesto:

What we stand for:
...Imagine a society capable of supporting everyone’s needs.

Human needs are infinite!! Thats impossible to fulfill.

Didn't Marx speak about ' From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs'.

That failed ,guess we have not learned anything from history? ...just people that want to do good, but have just not really thought about it that much??

Clarets4me
07-03-2015, 10:46 PM
Oh,you are a tease,Paderborn,care to enlighten us ??

fats
07-03-2015, 10:50 PM
Im in love With Margaret Thatcher;D

Bin_Ont_Turf
07-03-2015, 10:53 PM
They won't get my vote on the basis that I never want to wear sandals.

Or crap in a bucket and throw it out o't window for that matter.

bfcjg
07-03-2015, 11:51 PM
A joke party, if Russia invade, or those Islamic nutters get a foot hold ( or should I say a bigger foothold) the Greens policy will be to toss lettuces at them from a recycled organic cardboard tank. Crime will be that all prisons are closed and inmates will have to sieve soil to remove all traces of fertilizers and taxes will only apply to the carbon terrorists who drive to work, they should stay at home and talk to plants etc. How do they finance the running of the country...oh yes tax the banks and big business those who are still here. Could Bank on Dave support the Greens give everything to the non producers? If so I will have 8 kids and demand a council house as my kids deserve everything that the human rights act entitles them to.Oh and those win turbines are disturbing my sleep and alas If the the leader of the Greens needs an op and the wind drops and the sun goes in the leader of the Greens will need nuclear or carbon generated energy.

ClaretMoffitt
08-03-2015, 06:24 AM
It genuinely scares me how many people want this party to rule Britain.

Pretty much every student you speak to either doesn't vote, or if they do, they vote for these tossers. And they are supposed to be intelligent, right?

Imploding Turtle
08-03-2015, 07:09 AM
The Green Party is fully democratic. Their members vote on their policies, and any member can propose a policy.

This is why they have some questionable (highly so, in some cases) policies. If you absolutely oppose nuclear power you join the Greens. If you're absolutely opposed to GMOs you join the greens, if you're a climate change activist you join the greens, a feminism activist? You join the Greens.

Their policies are radical now because they've been written by the radicals that have joined the party. This does lead to some problems though where the text of a policy isn't written well enough to avoid unintended consequences; the party recently had to rewrite the text of a policy because the original text of it would have lead to banning all cars.

As more people join the party the more nutty policies will be replaced with more tempered and mainstream ideas as more people vote against them in favour of the more reasonable ideas.

The Green Party can't have the meteoric rise

IanMcL
08-03-2015, 10:05 AM
I can see the type of person the Tories and their 'Provisionals' the UKIPers get their votes.

Perhaps the more sane remain in the majority...and choose to vote.

spt_claret
08-03-2015, 02:30 PM
Moffitt- Post-graduate student right here and I think the Greens are a bunch of nutters who are at best absurdly idealist and completely unaware of both human nature/reality, and of economics. At worst they're self-hating communists who believe the wealthy are all evil, and would appease Putin in a heartbeat.

There's certainly a lot of students supporting the Greens, but they're also by far the noisiest students. And it's not surprising so many support them when the sheer number of universities offering low-requirement degrees exist- you have to be intelligent to be a student at a good university, but you don't have to be intelligent to just be a student.

The idea of a citizens' income, of true social equality, of no NEED for a standing military or Trident, of free social care for children and over-65s, of a million more affordable houses...all of that is brilliant in theory. None of it is workable in practice right now. But people often vote based on principles and beliefs rather th

Clarets4me
08-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Having listened to many views on the Green's over the years, I cannot escape their total ignorance of the fact that Companies and the profit motive,& therefore economic growth have led to so many health improvements, drug cures, time saving inventions etc..

Being of a certain age, I remember Labour Environment Secretary,& Grimsby MP Tony Crosland writing in the mid 1970's.. " Yes,the Environmentalists wish to ban international air-travel for holidays...all very well for the Upper orders, proceeding in leisurely fashion to the South of France,in their Bentleys & Rolls Royces to enjoy six weeks off in the summer..As for my constituents, let them eat cake & revert to a week in a Blackpool/Skegness boarding house...

Having enjoyed all these material advantages over the past 150 years & more, are we now to deprive India,China & other developing nations their prosperity, on the back of the west outsourcing the manufacture of consumer and other goods ?? This would be to kick the ladder down

AndrewJB
08-03-2015, 11:02 PM
Lots of nonsense spoken about the party on here. "Take us back to the Stone Age", "make us defenseless", "economically unworkable", "too idealistic." Really? This country is crying out for positive ideas rather than the failed austerity everyone except the rich have had to put up with. The current government have borrowed two or three times more in five years than Labour EVER did - and that's sensible?

We've come through a financial crisis caused by under-regulated banks, and this government has used this as an excuse to hack at the welfare state nearly everyone (at some point) relies on. It's not hopelessly idealistic to say we're now going to start putting people first. It was done after WW2 when Britain had far more debt (as a percentage of income), and not only did Britain become prosperous again but the welfare state was created. This new austerity is simply a con.

As for leaving us defenseless, what is wrong with scrapping Trident, and not going overseas to fight other people?

wherewasi
08-03-2015, 11:09 PM
The problem with your view IT (and I completely understand that you feel climate change is THE overwhelming issue of our time) is that it can be summarised as;

"The Green Party consists mainly of single issue zealots who bring their, broadly, left of centre issue to the table and park their critical faculties when considering all other (similarly left of centre) issues put forward by other single issue zealots in a quid pro quo to get their issue an apparent degree of popular support."

Say the Greens got into power in May; by August we would have a failure of our democracy as the electorate realised they were madmen. That's not to belittle some of the issues they raise, nor to patronise them. Some are important but many are important only to them and, as I say, actually only important to a few of them but accepted unthinkingly (or in your case knowingly) by many.

JohnMcGreal
09-03-2015, 08:17 AM
by August we would have a failure of our democracy as the electorate realised they were madmen.

I think that happened a long time ago, wherewasi.

caballo
09-03-2015, 08:32 AM
At least screaming Lord Sutch had the integrity to call his party loony, the Greens don't even have sufficient spine for that.

AndrewJB
09-03-2015, 08:53 AM
The Green Party will be publishing their manifesto in a few weeks. When that happens you'll see how they balance the competing ideas within the party.

As for loony, step forward the slashers of benefits for the disabled while handing tax breaks out to the rich. The party that actively encourages fracking while reducing subsidies to green energy. The government that brazenly sells off state assets at cut down prices to their donors. Put aside the obvious self-interest and you have proper certifiable behaviour.