PDA

View Full Version : Malaysia

1959_60
08-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Me and Mrs 59-60 are off to Malaysia tomorrow for two weeks.

Spending time in Kuala Lumpur and Penang.

Any last minute ideas would be gratefully received.

Good pie shops, is it OK to smoke in public, how to say "Bugger off. I'm not paying that much" etc.

Thank you.

jordan12rhodes
08-03-2015, 07:15 PM
yeah, give shebby singh a slap..

ProfesssorPiehead
08-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Try to get seats near an emergency exit

1959_60
08-03-2015, 07:42 PM
Oh, don'y worry about that.

I shall demand to see the pilot before we board. I will ask him (or her) if they have flown one of these before and I shall make sure they have a good set of up to date maps and to avoid Ukranian air space.

And if I bump into Shebby I will buy him a pint on behalf of all Burnley fans.

thelifeofbrian
08-03-2015, 08:19 PM
go to Langkawi, - beautiful tropical island with golden beaches- its 30 mins on a plane from KL- very relaxing away from the hustle and bustle of KL

BailriggClaret
08-03-2015, 08:45 PM
KL is a great city with plenty to see and do, and it's small enough to walk around if the heat isn't too bad. The MRT transport system is cheap and reliable if you want to get to places faster, and all the signs etc are also in English.

Go and see the Petronas towers at night as they look so much more impressive when lit up, and there's a light show in the gardens behind them in the evening. I didn't bother going up them but went up the Menara KL Tower instead, so that my pictures had the more famous towers in them.

Merdeka (Independence) Square and the surrounding museums, the Central Market (Pasar Seni - for souvenirs) and the Bird Park are all good places to visit, and if you fancy a bit more culture then I found a trip to the National Mosque really interesting.

Penang is known for food and it really didn't disappoint me. There are hawker food centres dotted around Georgetown, plus lots of street food options and little local eateries. I particularly loved the Penang Laksa and

1959_60
08-03-2015, 08:48 PM
Yes, I have read about Langkawi but we only have three days in KL before we fly up to Penang.

Mrs 59-60 was posted in Kuala Lumpur in the 80's when she worked for MI6 and she is keen to explore the city again.

This is a trip for her on a notable birthday!

conyoviejo
08-03-2015, 08:50 PM
That means you will miss the clarets beating Citeh .. :D :D Have a great holiday B)

1959_60
08-03-2015, 08:52 PM
Thanks Bailrigg!

I will note all that down.

BailriggClaret
08-03-2015, 08:53 PM
No problem, I hope it helps a bit :)

1959_60
08-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Alas, yes conyoviejo.

The kick off is 1.30AM in Malaysia so unless we can get coverage in the room I will have to wait till breakfast time to find out the margin of victory.

JellyBaby
09-03-2015, 08:04 AM
Or if you find a bar that's showing it let me know...I'll be there as well!

Claretpenang
09-03-2015, 01:13 PM
I worked in Penang (until 2010)for 14 years before moving to Singapore so know it well. I also visit KL often. No problem to watch the football the game will be on in your hotel if they have Astro or any bar as its the late K.O so will definitely be show.
To add to the points already made, yes E & O is good and they used to serve bitter in the bar there. Buffet on Friday night is good vale, used to be about RM100 for all you could eat and drink ( yes including beer although it was always some cheap type of beer). Northam Beach is a good food centre on the coast but in the city (Georgetwon). Buffet at City Bayvew hotel in Georgetown is good as it has a revolving restaurant so gives you a good view of the city in the evening, good for sunset. Its close to the E & O.
If you are staying in the beach area at Batu Ferringhi the night market is good. All the hotels do happy hours by the beach, good ones were Golden Sands and Park Royal. There alos used to be some cheaper bars along the beach

JellyBaby
09-03-2015, 01:51 PM
Link for all taxis for 5 ringgit all around the island in March! - view external link (http://grabtaxi.com/myteksi/2015/03/02/penang-march-madness/)

oldcolner
09-03-2015, 03:57 PM
We enjoyed an evening trip to see the fireflies in Kuala Selangor with a meal included. Our hotel fixed it up by taxi but there are bus trips also.
There are only two places in the world to see synchronised flashing fireflies, the other in NZ. If you go don't forget your anti mozzie stuff like we did though. Trip advisor has some links.
The old mosque is worth a visit, no bare legs and heads covered for ladies.Butterfly park is spectacular as you watch them pupate and hold themastheir wings stiffen or if lucky they land on you and may be 5 -6 inches long.
Food and hotels in KL were very cheap and a good selection of various cultures food Indian chinese Japanese Malayan with amazing buffet breakfasts but no bacon - only Turkey bacon.
We went to one in a shopping mall where you were given a banana leaf to put buffet vegetarian food on and you paid what you thought it was worth.
Your wife will enjoy the shopping malls especially the Petronas Towers one. The malls al have lots of foodie p

oldcolner
10-03-2015, 01:06 PM
The restaurant is called Annalkshmi and is run by volunteers minimum charge 5 ringits -less than 1. - view external link (www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Malaysia/Wilayah_Persekutuan/Kuala_Lumpur-1282074/Restaurants-Kuala_Lumpur-Annalakshmi-B)

texasbrit
11-03-2015, 07:11 AM
don't fly Malaysia Airlines they have a habit of loosing aircraft on route. B)

1959_60
29-03-2015, 12:15 PM
We had a fantastic time in Malaysia - thank you for all the excellent advise. I have just about recovered from the jet lag now.

We spent 3 nights in Kuala Lumpur and managed to do all the touristy stuff...hampered by the hot humid weather.
Mrs 59-60 was posted in KL in the 1970's as a member of MI6 and we visited Carcosa which used the be the British High Commissioners residence at the time. It is now a government owned hotel. When they found out about my wife's connection with the place we were treated like royalty.
We also tracked down her old digs which have not changed a bit.

We then flew out to Penang (Batu Ferringhi) for 10 nights which is very beautiful and interesting. The highlight for me was a trek in the jungle, but by hell, it was hot.

In Georgetown we visited the Tek Lok Si temple and took an amazing cable car ride to the top of Penang Hill.

The people are incredibly friendly and honest - offering first class service at (to us) were very low cost. We ate at a splendid

Quicknick
29-03-2015, 12:31 PM
Mrs 59-60 was in MI6. Sounds impressive. I'm glad you enjoyed the trip. I've never been to Malaysia, but I've done quite a lot of Southeast Asia.

1959_60
29-03-2015, 12:43 PM
It was my first time in the region quicknick but it has given me the appetite to explore the area.

Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia are now on my radar.