PDA

View Full Version : Mass hysteria or magic of the cup?

ptangyangkipperbang
08-03-2015, 08:05 PM
After Villas mass pitch invasion after beating a similar bog standard top league side or them down road getting a very creditable draw at anfield am I alone thinking celebrations went way over the top or would we Burnley fans acted the same ?

jordan12rhodes
08-03-2015, 08:07 PM
nobody can deny that the cup has been a little bit special this season thus far, without a doubt. i`m not just referring to rovers..

ClaretTony2014
08-03-2015, 08:26 PM
The FA Cup hasn't been special for years

jordan12rhodes
08-03-2015, 08:32 PM
is that because your team has done nothing in it..?

hampsteadclaret
08-03-2015, 08:42 PM
I would think that yesterday's mass pitch invasion at Villa Park was mainly about 40,000+ Brummie rival fans, being on the beer all afternoon in the Second City before the 5.15pm kick off.

I have not seen the Liverpool game..personally I am a big fan of the FA Cup, but it's steadily been wrecked by..yer know..the usual stuff.

Akinbadbye_20
08-03-2015, 08:45 PM
'The FA Cup hasn't been special for years'

Not at our club, its the fans of a club that make it special and unfortunately for some reason ours don't.

ClaretTony2014
08-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Nothing to do with our club, used to be a massive competition and even considered more important than winning the league.

FA Cup final day was magical but today it's just another game.

evensteadiereddie
08-03-2015, 08:51 PM
You're a complete dick, jordan.
Rovers draw at Anfield so they have better players than most teams in the Prem, BFC included, apparently.
Bradford City win, not draw mark you, at Chelsea.
Does this make Bradford Champions League standard ?
Er, no it doesn't.
For what it's worth, I quite like seeing the minnows of the FA Cup doing well - Five Live's first comment about the replay was regarding the amount of money it would bring to your cash-strapped club.
Your team did well - although you clearly weren't there - again - to cheer your "heroes" on... enjoy it but, please, cut out the embarrassing rubbish you can't help posting. It does you no favours.
Get your excuse for not going to Wembley in now.

conyoviejo
08-03-2015, 08:52 PM
Aye everybody crowded round the old wireless to listen to the third round draw. Hoping for an easy home draw B)

Nobody gives a damn now.. Tinpot competition

jordan12rhodes
08-03-2015, 08:56 PM
`Rovers draw at Anfield so they have better players than most teams in the Prem, BFC included, apparently.`

no, just better overall players than you.

jordan12rhodes
08-03-2015, 08:59 PM
`Nobody gives a damn now.. Tinpot competition`

think the fact you`ve probably never got past round 4 in 30 odd years is whats affecting your vision of the competition..

however, didn`t you beat chelsea at stamford bridge a few years back. was it tinpot then?

Fretters
08-03-2015, 09:00 PM
"no, just better overall players than you"

Funniest thing I've read on here for a while and cheered me right up, cheers Jordan. Comedy genius.

Bin_Ont_Turf
08-03-2015, 09:13 PM
'however, didn`t you beat chelsea at stamford bridge a few years back. was it tinpot then?'

Yes it was.

But the League Cup wasn't.

HoveEdgeWardrobe
08-03-2015, 09:13 PM
I don't subscribe to the ' football is a business' mantra but once upon a long ago the cup was the way to make money by generating extra revenue.
Nowadays winning the cup is equal to topping the EPL fair play league and qualifying for the Europa league.
Even an idiot without a village wearing milk shoes can see that's a hefty devaluation.
It needs to be restored in prize value.
I have always thought and said it should gain the 4th Champions league place.
Finishing 4th doesn't isn't even ' medalling' so shouldn't win you anything.
Winning a trophy like the FA Cup should come with a proper reward.
Whilst we are at it I'd go one further and scrap the league cup and Johnstone's to replace them with a Play Place winning league Cup. The team that win's a cup for the 72 clubs should win the 4th play off place form teh Championship up to the prem. Every club would then have a chance at top flight football every year. It would be an incredible route to promotion.
Cup football matters when

jordan12rhodes
08-03-2015, 09:15 PM
`Yes it was.

But the League Cup wasn't.`

thanks for that, as former winners.. :)

evensteadiereddie
09-03-2015, 06:10 AM
I know you don't actually watch Rovers jordan but even so, trying to make out that you can make BFC and Rovers man for man comparisons off what you have seen on television is pretty moronic, even for you.
So, if you get through, why won't you be going to Wembley ?

The Bedlington Terrier
09-03-2015, 07:31 AM
I think the Premier League has overshadowed every other competition in this country.
The constant hype, the marketing, SKY's Premier League involvement and non involvement in the FA Cup have taken the gloss off the old aura of the Cup.
Another big issue is that clubs outside the top six with smaller squads would obviously rather deploy their resources to staying in the Premier League with all of its financial benefits.
It is still brilliant when a team like the Bantams overturn Chelsea but when your mind is on winning the Premier League and Champions League, the FA Cup can surely be considered a distraction.
I hope Liverpool beat Wovers, otherwise we will never hear the end of it!

mikeS
09-03-2015, 09:49 AM
Ive always loved the magic of the Cup, the giant-killing, the progress of our own club through the competition, you could even buy the cup final programmes when I was a kid from the local paper shop. This year though the telly coverage has dominated the competition. The third round coverage started on a Friday night, went through Saturday lunchtime, Sunday afternoon, Monday night (One show and game) and even Tuesday night (I think Everton played.

The BBC have done it to death this year with the usual MOTD pundits droning on, ronnie radfords goal, wimbledon v liverpool et al appearing several times a week in trailers re-runs, MOTD specials and for me it's taken some of the shine off the cup. For me the Cup is special, it should be celebrated, but please BBC - don't do it to death.