PDA

View Full Version : Michael Oliver

Imploding Turtle
09-03-2015, 08:35 PM
Usually when a referee's performance is worthy of note it's because he's had a shocker, but has Oliver put a foot wrong tonight?

army88
09-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Agree imploding was very good tonight

JeremyBender
09-03-2015, 08:52 PM
Excellent performance by the referee tonight.

mdd2
09-03-2015, 08:54 PM
Man of the match in my book. Stood up to the prima donnas and did what should be happening every match with these cheats.

mkmel
09-03-2015, 08:58 PM
Both of the bookings for diving by Man Utd players both spot on and Michael Oliver not one bit intimidated by players or crowd.

Excellent refereeing by one of our finest referees

ClaretTony2014
09-03-2015, 09:03 PM
He really has improved beyond all recognition in last two years. Not the only impressive performer tonight. How good a goalkeeper is David de Gea?

Darthlaw
09-03-2015, 09:03 PM
Some soft free kicks given but on the whole an excellent performance.

Did exactly the right thing in sending Di Maria off. Also did really well to spot the serial diver Januzaj's antics.

9/10 performance from the ref.

mdd2
09-03-2015, 09:04 PM
De Gea should have improved given the shower in front of him this last 2 seasons

Akinbadbye_20
09-03-2015, 09:09 PM
'He really has improved beyond all recognition in last two years. Not the only impressive performer tonight. How good a goalkeeper is David de Gea?'

Agreed but thought he might have done something more sensible for the goal, either stand tall and make Welbeck earn his goal or as Keane said just take him down and take the red card

Bin_Ont_Turf
09-03-2015, 09:10 PM
'9/10 performance from the ref'

I'm pretty sure that the score should be out of 25 Darthlaw.

dougcollins
09-03-2015, 09:13 PM
'as Keane said just take him down and take the red card'

Typical Keane *******s.

claretspice
09-03-2015, 09:15 PM
Absolutely outstanding tonight.

He's always had a willingness to make brave decisions - didn't always get them right, but made big decisions for the right reasons.

They're the refs to look out for lower down the chain because they're the ones with the temperament to get to the top.

ClaretTony2014
09-03-2015, 09:17 PM
"He's always had a willingness to make brave decisions - didn't always get them right"

That was his problem Spice, he used to get too many big decisions wrong. So much improved he has to be one of our best referees now.

ClaretTony2014
09-03-2015, 09:19 PM
"De Gea should have improved given the shower in front of him this last 2 seasons|"

I'd agree with that but he must be right up there now with Neuer as the best in the world. He makes top saves now almost as often as the cheat Januzaj goes down untouched.

claretspice
09-03-2015, 09:25 PM
With the greatest of respect Tony, he can't have been getting so many of them wrong or else that would above all else have prevented him rising up the ladder.

No doubt he's getting more right now, but the point is that even when he was getting a few more wrong, he tended to get them wrong because he was refusing to get taken in by the crowd, or the players, and was willing to be his own man.

Frenchclaret
09-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Did he get a mention from the expert pundits? Did he hell! He was MOM but ignored by the pathetic threesome the BBC trotted out At least Danny Murphy makes some intelligent comments as co-commentator.

wherewasi
09-03-2015, 11:20 PM
"At least Danny Murphy makes some intelligent comments as co-commentator."

Yes, Danny really nailed it...

"Oh no, that's never a booking ... it's too early... of course the ref had a choice .. never a booking... oh hang on... wait a minute.. oh actually... now I look at it.. that's definitely a booking..."

superdimitri
10-03-2015, 02:23 AM
I wish every referee would of been capable of making the decision on Di Maria's dive like he did today.

In fact, just a yellow for the act itself is lucky, if a player so obviously cheats in my book he should get a harsher punishment.

ChorltonCharlie
10-03-2015, 06:20 AM
I found it interesting that on the Di Maria dive, the Arsenal lad has a quick tug of his arm. It’s nothing and shouldn’t cause him to go down. The reason I find it interesting though, is because certain people on here were insisting Vokes should have gone down against Swansea to show the referee there had been a foul in a similar situation. In fact they felt he had every right to because he was being fouled. Surely the simple fact is that if you ‘simulate’ the result of being fouled then you are trying to fool the referee? Or does that only apply to foreign Man Utd players?

Also, the most credit for Oliver should be for the way he stayed on his feet after the little tug from Di Maria. Many refs would have gone down in similar situations.

belgianclaret
10-03-2015, 07:05 AM
Charlie, IMO the little tug on Di Maria bares no comparison with the stranglehold on Vokes

The Bedlington Terrier
10-03-2015, 07:31 AM
More or less spot on with every decision. Not to be overwhelmed at Old Trafford takes some proper sized cojones.

goddy2shoes
10-03-2015, 07:35 AM
Couldn't agree more, Wherewasi.

Normaly I quite like Danny Murphy but last night he was awful.

'It was only a little short pull' (on the referee) he bleats. I think someone, then, had a word in his ear as he changed his tune sharpish.

Jeez - you can't touch a referee (rightly) and Di Maria was pretty aggressive imho. For me it should have been a straight red after the initial yellow...

beddie
10-03-2015, 07:44 AM
Excellent performance. He will do doubt receive those extra marks from the Assessor and well deserved.

claretspice
10-03-2015, 08:50 AM
The difference between Vokes and Di Maria is that Vokes was impeded by the defender, so was entitled to a free kick/penalty because he'd been fouled, whilst Di Maria wasn't. So Di Maria was trying to con the ref into giving him an advantage and Vokes wouldn't have been. Its as simple as that.

As for Murphy, I'd rather have Murphy initially call Di Maria's second yellow card wrongly and then hold his hands up and correct himself, than have, say, Keown, sticking doggedly to his original script. And in fairness, Murphy had been praising Oliver for his performance all night long.

LifeOfRiley
10-03-2015, 09:07 AM
Refereed very well last night, got nearly everything right but I agree with g2s should have been a straight red when DiMaria grabbed at his shirt - that has to be dealt with severely.

the_quoon
10-03-2015, 09:57 AM
di maria dived and was rightly booked but there was contact on his arm from the arsenal player so why wasn't he 'entitled to go down'? because he wasn't in the penalty area?

Darthlaw
10-03-2015, 10:02 AM
Wasn't it Joe Hart who put his forehead to Michael Oliver this season?

In isolation I think Di Maria would have just got a yellow for the shirt pull but clearly he had blown a fuse after his booking for the dive. - view external link (uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/early-doors/-lucky--hart-appears-to-get-away-with-headbutt-on-referee-142315143.html)

the_quoon
10-03-2015, 10:06 AM
as we know only too well with the ashley barnes/chelsea incident, freezeframing, angles etc makes that hart thing look far worse than it is.

if hart had butted oliver, he'd have been off.

claretspice
10-03-2015, 10:08 AM
"di maria dived and was rightly booked but there was contact on his arm from the arsenal player so why wasn't he 'entitled to go down'? because he wasn't in the penalty area?"

No, because it didn't impede him and wasn't a foul. You aren't entitled to go down oe otherwise make a meal of something if you aren't fouled. If you are, you are.

Its the difference between trying to get something you aren't entitled to - which is cheating - and trying to simply get what you are entitled to because someone else would otherwise be getting away with cheating, i.e. committing a deliberate foul.

the_quoon
10-03-2015, 10:19 AM
week-in week-out there are penalties given for minimal contact, where the player isn't impeded, followed by a plethora of pundits saying that, as there was contact, the player is entitled to go down. a few weeks ago, united themselves won a penalty for a player falling over without being touched, where plenty of people agreed he was entitled to go down because he'd had to avoid a challenge by the goalkeeper.

just pointing out the massive double standards, hypocrisy and overwhelming lack of consistency that pervades the modern game.

lotty1
10-03-2015, 10:22 AM
It's a very sad state of affairs discussing diving/simulation after every game .
All this "there was contact so he's entitled to go down " is nonsense and is totally ruining the game as is all the wrestling at corners and free kicks .

It needs all bodies to get together and make a clear decision to eradicate it from the game ; I won't hold my breath though .

SAM_WELL
10-03-2015, 10:31 AM
Indeed, Lotty. We should go back to the good old days when the keeper could catch the ball and then be*****ed in to the back of the net a second or two after.

claretspice
10-03-2015, 10:40 AM
I think there will always be difficult grey areas Quoon. You may not actually be referring to the Vokes incident - apologies if I jumped to the wrong conclusion there - but I think that's one end of the spectrum - there's contact, he's impeded, he's entitled to exaggerate it to make sure the easy way out for the ref isn't to give nothing. I think the incident last night is the very other end of the spectrum - the touch from the defender is no more inconvenience than a leave falling on him in autumn, so when he goes down he's clearly looking for something for nothing. He hasn't been impeded.

The Rooney one is somewhere in between. I take your point entirely that there's no contact but then as pundits did quite rightly point out, that's not a pre-requisite of a foul. Would Rooney have been materially inconvenienced in his attempts to get the ball had he not 'taken' the contact? I'm not sure, and I guess that's where the confusion comes in.

I don't think its as black and white as its so

lotty1
10-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Is that your answer to the problem SAM_WELL ?

Jamb0MackemClaret
10-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Should have probably sent Bellerin but it was very refreshing to see someone stand up to United's bullying tactics and blatant cheating. Hopefully other refs will follow suit.

ClaretTony2014
10-03-2015, 11:28 AM
I did think the officials might have forgotten that Ferguson had gone when the 5 minutes stoppage time went up.

Jamb0MackemClaret
10-03-2015, 11:32 AM
The Fergie five! There was a long delay with the Di Maria red to be fair though.

ClaretTony2014
10-03-2015, 11:35 AM
"There was a long delay with the Di Maria red to be fair though."

I know, but anything over 2 there and I think of the bullying Ferguson who clearly managed to get minutes added in games.

ksrclaret
10-03-2015, 11:37 AM
" It needs all bodies to get together and make a clear decision to eradicate it from the game ; I won't hold my breath though ."

Why not just eradicate the entire game, football is broken he doth cry

ClaretTony2014
10-03-2015, 11:44 AM
Nothing wrong with the game at all - certainly I enjoyed last night's cup game.

SAM_WELL
10-03-2015, 11:48 AM
There is no problem, Lotty. If football was this utopia that you seem to want to see I for one would stop watching. Pushing and shoving has always gone on at every level. Players have always gone down easier than others. Its just the way it is.

Ashingtonclaret46
10-03-2015, 11:53 AM
It was a good game and, appropriately, it was played at the Theatre of Dreams which is probably why there was a lot of acting going on. However, you can fool some of the people some of the time but referees may take a little longer.

Yet again the pundits watch lots of replays in super slow motion to provide an opinion whilst the officials have a nano-second to make their decision.

lotty1
10-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Different people have different opinions hence my comments . Seems some can state any opinion they want on here without being questioned whilst others are ridiculed if they have a differing view so pretty typical CM .

Haven't said for a while that the game is broken and won't ever again ( at least not on CM ) but for anyone to suggest that there's nothing wrong with the game is a totally blinkered view in my opinion but if that's how some see it than that's fine .

SAM_WELL - not looking for a football utopia so please stop putting words in my mouth .

distortiondave
10-03-2015, 11:56 AM
http://i57.tinypic.com/mkzz7n.jpg

ksrclaret
10-03-2015, 11:58 AM
I was going to add a river of honey and a herd of unicorn cavorting across Turf Moor to the ground improvements thread, but I remembered this is football and not the seventh heaven some would like to see

the_quoon
10-03-2015, 12:04 PM
just to point out the collective noun for unicorn is 'posse'.

distortiondave
10-03-2015, 12:09 PM
Unicorns poo rainbows.
Unicron poos planets.

distortiondave
10-03-2015, 12:20 PM
http://i58.tinypic.com/2j44vgx.gif

the_quoon
10-03-2015, 12:21 PM
http://tinyurl.com/k4x585c

ksrclaret
10-03-2015, 12:25 PM
I believe it should be a blessing of unicorn as well rather than a herd, or should that be a blessing of posse? :)

You'll have to forgive my lack of unicorn related trivia.

Imploding Turtle
10-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Did someone order a unicorn?

http://i.imgur.com/rTvjUcz.png

distortiondave
10-03-2015, 12:28 PM
It's definitely posse and I should know because I'm a posse magnet.

distortiondave
10-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Crikey.

Rileybobs
10-03-2015, 12:40 PM
http://i57.tinypic.com/2cokgmg.jpg

IanMcL
10-03-2015, 02:47 PM
It was good to watch and hear the pundits all saying (after slow mo replays etc) that "It looks like the ref got that one right, after all"

ClaretTony2014
10-03-2015, 03:34 PM
He's on the Turf this Saturday - fourth official.

Ashingtonclaret46
10-03-2015, 04:02 PM
That is the second home game on the bounce that he has been 4th official -- hope that the result is better than Swansea!

ClaretTony2014
10-03-2015, 04:04 PM
"That is the second home game on the bounce that he has been 4th official -- hope that the result is better than Swansea!"

I knew he'd been 4th official on the Turf recently but hadn't realised it was the last home game.

ChorltonCharlie
10-03-2015, 06:37 PM
It's funny really. Apparently according to some Rooney was ok to dive because he could see the challenge coming (not necessarily on here). Yet Di Maria feeling contact and going down is not ok from the same people. If it's fair for Rooney, why isn't it for Di Maria? How are we to know that Di Maria wasn't expecting another grab and more of a tug this time from the Arsenal player and was merely anticipating that contact? Is Di Maria's crystal ball not allowed as part of game management, but Rooney's is? Then we have Vokes, who apparently should exaggerate what happened to 'cheat' the ref into giving a penalty. Oops, sorry it's not cheating because he was fouled, though not according to the ref. Yet none of us know exactly what the referee saw and he may well have had a clear view of the incident and felt there wasn't enough in it. So therefore, if Vokes throws himself to floor it is to try and deceive the ref that the contact was more than it was. Vokes is the one that acts with integri

distortiondave
10-03-2015, 07:12 PM
It's a shame lotty's posts were removed. If anything they showed the irony in calling someone abusive whilst at the same time using the t*******t word, whatever that was.

With regards to Di Maria, no one would have even commented had he not pulled the refs shirt afterwards and got himself sent off, it'd have just been a normal diving booking.

Ref got it almost right; really should have been a straight red.

Imploding Turtle
10-03-2015, 07:14 PM
I might have been a straight red in the end. Has it been confirmed it was a second yellow?

distortiondave
10-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Thought he showed him yellow card again?

Imploding Turtle
10-03-2015, 07:31 PM
BBC article does say it was a second yellow. I just don't remember seeing it. I only saw the red.

ClaretTony2014
10-03-2015, 08:48 PM
I thought he got a yellow and then a straight red but I've just checked on the FA site and he's been given a one match ban. Had he got a straight red for pushing/grabbing the referee then I think the suspension would have been more than one match.