PDA

View Full Version : Ian Holloway

NorthIsCool
10-03-2015, 08:54 AM
Sacked - view external link (www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31814234)

mgill87
10-03-2015, 09:01 AM
And to think some people wanted him to manage us.

(I'm just getting that in now before somebody else predictably posts it).

beddie
10-03-2015, 09:10 AM
Not unexpected really with their form of late. Not a Club I am particularly keen on to say the least.

DiBranchio
10-03-2015, 10:22 AM
He needs to be back in the Premier League. I miss his lilting west country accent and cutting edge humour.

ClaretTony2014
10-03-2015, 10:32 AM
As someone said to me today, Blackpool was a blip. His managerial career is not good overall.

IanMcL
10-03-2015, 10:36 AM
I'll bet he's great for a week, get on your nerves after two and grate after three...the full circle in a bad way - from great to grate!

The Bedlington Terrier
10-03-2015, 04:50 PM
If I want to see a comedian, I watch Peter Kay. The sad thing with Hollowhead is, he actually thinks he is funny. Jog on!

Wembley09
10-03-2015, 05:07 PM
Didn't he do a decent job at Plymouth?

Remember he crapped on them as bad as Coyle did with us. Spouted a load of rubbish about loyalty and promise to the Plmyouth fans, before buggering off to Leicester.

Who were then relegated to League One after a season of Ian Holloway in charge. :D

arise_sir_charge
10-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Seem to recall him repeating his Blackpool blip with Palace also.

Don't particularly like him but his cv has plenty of successes amongst the failures.

ClaretTony2014
10-03-2015, 05:17 PM
"Seem to recall him repeating his Blackpool blip with Palace also."

Hardly - they were top of the league when he went there and just about scraped into the play offs on the last day.

They beat Peterborough on that last day with an 89th minute winner which relegated Peterborough and sneaked them into the play-offs.

It was their first win in 10 games.

arise_sir_charge
10-03-2015, 06:37 PM
I always thought that you got promoted regardless of how emphatic your run to the play offs was.

Just checked and it seems I was right, Crystal Palce were promoted, via the play offs (similar to Blackpool) with Ian Holloway in charge.

ClaretTony2014
10-03-2015, 08:51 PM
"Just checked and it seems I was right, Crystal Palce were promoted, via the play offs (similar to Blackpool) with Ian Holloway in charge."

No, you are not right because that's not the full story. He took over at the end of November when they were top of the league and the run they had under Holloway would not have got them close to the play offs. Their form was bottom half under him, so nothing like what he did at Blackpool where he was manager all season.

His record in league games as Palace manager was

Championship
8 wins
12 draws
9 defeats

Premier League
1 win
0 draws
7 defeats

Total
9 wins
12 draws
16 defeats

I hardly call that successful,and certainly nothing like what he did at Blackpool.

clareturion
10-03-2015, 09:05 PM
Still a more credible premier league manager than Brian Laws though ;D

DocFoster
10-03-2015, 09:06 PM
Ian Holloway sacked in an attempt to stop Millwall being relegated and his ability as a manager is questioned.
Almost as bad (but nowhere near as) criticising Steve Kean for his sterling work at Wovers.

Rgds

Doc

arise_sir_charge
10-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Just used the tools on this site to check and Palace were 4th when Holloway got the job and subsequently finished 5th...and went up through the play offs...hardly disastrous!

ClaretTony2014
10-03-2015, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't trust this site for stuff like that now - they were actually second (not top I previously suggested) when he took over for his first game but those figures above are his league record as Palace manager.

He did an outstanding job at Blackpool, no doubt about that, and had them in the play offs again in the season after they were relegated. I think he might have got QPR out of League One as well, but he did take Leicester down there.

Overall his record is not that good but he does talk a good game I suppose. I know we were close to getting him here in 2004 before he pulled out and I know there was real interest from some of our directors in getting him here when we appointed Dyche.