PDA

View Full Version : Grades for games

CleveleysClaret1979
10-03-2015, 09:26 AM
This is a wonderful gesture by the club. Maybe this is the Baldwin influence and if so shows the reason Bradford fans thought so highly of him. Only problem is is that not all kids have classroom smarts and no matter how hard they try would be unable to achieve 5 gcse a-c grades. Maybe if a kid had full attendance they should have been rewarded.

I don't like to be negative with this wonderful gesture but I feel not just the clever kids should get rewarded.

All in all though a great move to hopefully start rebuilding some bridges

GordonvaleClaret
10-03-2015, 11:08 AM
Attendance and effort are more important than grades. We can't all be top of the class, unless we're Filipinos.

ClaretTony2014
10-03-2015, 11:20 AM
It's a community scheme but the brainchild of Lee Hoos. In theory it's good but there are too many loopholes for me. Those who can't get the grades will miss out as will those who don't attend one of the five chosen schools in Burnley.

One of the problems is in the statement which reads: "On an average home match day, almost 25% of the town’s 75,000 population go to Turf Moor to support their team."

That's simply not true at all and we need to move on from that. It's a bit like the getting us all into Old Trafford statement.

dsr
10-03-2015, 12:26 PM
"Attendance and effort are more important than grades."

My boss doesn't think so. If I turned up and tried hard but couldn't do the job, he wouldn't be happy.

The important thing is to be the best you can, but your best isn't good enough to get five GCSEs, you'll never be a doctor and you won't get free tickets. Sorry.

GordonvaleClaret
11-03-2015, 12:42 AM
We're talking about kids growing up and learning here, not about immature adults playing office politics.

Perhaps you could have worded things better like:
"You'll never be a doctor but you could become a great mechanic. You may be deprived of free tickets today, but tomorrow you'll be able to charge that doctor a fortune to top up his radiator. You'll then be in a position to provide free tickets to kids from less financially fortunate families."

dsr
11-03-2015, 08:17 AM
16 year olds shouldn't need a pat on the head for effort. And do you think mechanics are supposed to be a bit thick? Fixing cars is a skilled job in my book.

Jamb0MackemClaret
11-03-2015, 10:08 AM
The scheme might not be perfect but the whole point is to give kids a real carrot to give them a boost to get those GCSEs. I went to one of the worst schools in Burnley and the teachers worked their backsides to get the less clever kids the GCSEs they'd need to get on, particularly in Maths and English. You don't need to be particularly smart to get a C in those subjects if you work hard enough.

I couldn't disagree more about rewarding attendance over results. Turning up is the minimum expectation, they have to have something to aim for.

ClaretTony2014
11-03-2015, 10:22 AM
"they have to have something to aim for"

Absolutely, but too many loopholes in this for me. Again the boast seems to be that all Burnley fans live in the borough, therefore the kids all go to one of the five schools. That's simply not the case.

A scheme that widened beyond those five schools would have been an improvement but given almost half of the kids don't achieve the target then it does seem to be just rewarding the elite.

Jamb0MackemClaret
11-03-2015, 10:28 AM
It's a community scheme, targeted at the community. It would be grand if any Burnley fans were eligible but as far as I can see the point is to contribute to improving education standards in Burnley by offering a reward.

If you'd have it wider than the borough, how far do you go? The county? The whole country? It's not a community scheme any more in that case.

ClaretTony2014
11-03-2015, 10:30 AM
"It's a community scheme, targeted at the community."

The community scheme already has involvement in Australia and Africa so I don't think stretching this into the likes of Pendle, Rossendale etc. would be pushing boundaries too far. And it would still be involving the Burnley FC community.

claretspice
11-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Seems to me to be a fundamentally decent and well intentioned idea that deserves praise.

You can, as ever with these schemes, quibble around the edges. Should it be aimed at more schools? Include pendle and Rossendale and cue complaints that it should extend out towards Todmorden. Is 5 A-C grades (the target that the government believes all kids should achieve) setting the bar too high? Set it lower and you'll still get arguments that its too high, that it excludes someone, that perhaps it should be targeted a GNVQs as well as GCSEs, and so it goes on.

Seem to me that by limiting it to schools in the borough of Burnley, and to the government's grades target, they've chosen two easily applied, objectively justifiable criteria. If it works well, then perhaps they can consider how to expand it in the future. Although of course, the wider its scope becomes, the more it risks costing the club money and whether anyone likes it or not, that has to be an important consideration.

All in all,

Quattro
11-03-2015, 04:26 PM
I wonder if any works as been done wit the LEA in respect of predicted grades, in terms of what this will financially cost the club which has allowed them to make a forecast on cost.

For me, I'd have made it applicable to all schools in the Burnley borough AND every neighbouring Bourough to Burnley, which would capture easily 85-90% of our fan base, as opposed to whatever of it is based just in Burnley.

The other thing is what if a clever boy from Burnley already has a season ticket? Can he claim his tickets? Can he sell them?

The obvious marketing ploy is to get young fans hooked, and as they will be approaching adulthood, they'll have to pay an adult price = more money for the club! Call me cynical, but it is clever!