PDA

View Full Version : Flooding of islands in the Indian Ocean .

davemanu2000
10-03-2015, 10:02 AM
There are three islands involved mainly Mauritius ,Reunion and Madagascar .This is as a result of a mild cyclone which brought flash rains in many regions .
In Madagascar the inhabitants live in humble houses mostly covered with corrugated iron sheets .At least 23 Malagasy were killed and hundreds injured . The island is almost the size of France .It is difficult to the state to bring hasty assistance .
Reunion island is mountainous .There are many landslides and the rivers over flooded .They have to remain inside their homes for fear of being carried away by heavy currents of flood water . The people are getting all assistance from Municipalities .The network of roads is heavily damaged .
The people of mauritius are conscious of cyclones .The great majority have concrete houses . Still for want of drains ,rain water has collected in their yards and knee deep water inside their houses .Some of them have abandoned their houses and living in shelters with bed covers ,sheet

Ashingtonclaret46
10-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Hi Dave -- sad to read about these problems. The forces of nature can be very cruel and there is not a lot that we can do about it. I sincerely hope that you and your family and friends are all OK and that things return to normal as quickly as possible. Having been affected by flooding in the past I sympathise with those who have problems, it is heartbreaking.
I would imagine that both Madagascar and Reunion have been badly affected because their infrastructure did not seem as good as yours in Mauritius.

Anyway, take care and hope to meet up again in the future.

Notrigsbyscat
10-03-2015, 11:54 AM
what was the direction of the cyclone Dave? If it was north east, I'd fear for the Maldives with any ocean swelling :s

davemanu2000
10-03-2015, 05:12 PM
There is no more the torrential rain battering the three islands .The velocity of the wind has subsided .Other islands were not concerned about the cyclone .this happens often specially during the summer season .
People of Mauritius and Reunion are prepared to face it as our houses are built of concrete and government helps financially those who want to built their own houses .