PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Howe

Kirsikka
11-03-2015, 08:39 AM
AFCB fan in peace.

I know Eddie Howe divides opinion on here pretty much down the middle but still thought this article may be of some interest since it in some way covers some of his time here.

Can't post a direct link due to forum rules so here's the shortened version:
http://bit.ly/18zPTd8

or just go to http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/cherries/ and browse down.

I don't think it's already been posted but I could be wrong!

Good luck for the rest of the season chaps. You've exceeded my expectations so far (as usual shows I know squat about football) so keep going and I can see you staying up.

Right now, I'd put you down as more likely that the other two that went up last season.

Claretforever
11-03-2015, 08:55 AM
I've not read it yet but posted your link to make it easier for others.

Edit: read it now. It confirms what we all thought at the time, that his mum passing was a catalyst for the move. Anyone who has lost a parent can relate to that, particularly at a young age.

Thanks for posting. - view external link (bit.ly/18zPTd8)

Imploding Turtle
11-03-2015, 08:58 AM
He's definitely the prettiest manager we've ever had.

Supersub6
11-03-2015, 09:08 AM
Losing a close family member when you are living and working away from home is a difficult thing to come to terms with, particularly at a relatively young age.
This obviously had a big effect on Eddie and he took the chance to return to his comfort zone when it was given to him, however, many people are not given the opportunity that he was and just have to get on with things.

Jamb0MackemClaret
11-03-2015, 10:05 AM
That's true but I don't think people should hold taking that opportunity against him. It was convenient that the Bournemouth job came up again at a time he was struggling and we weren't doing well and since it's worked out for both him and us I can't understand the lasting ill feeling towards Howe from some fans.

silkyskills1
11-03-2015, 10:16 AM
'many people are not given the opportunity that he was and just have to get on with things'

I can definetly vouch for that and I was only 10 at the time.

Supersub6
11-03-2015, 10:20 AM
I agree Jambo, he did the job at the time and certainly helped in our progress to where we are.
It was right for him to move on, just as it is for Danny Ings at the end of the season.
A lot of fans though never seem to move on.

ClaretTony2014
11-03-2015, 10:26 AM
"there were more reasons to me coming back than I could ever talk about publicly"

Which is what I was led to believe at the time. For that reason he quite clearly made the right decision for himself. He was fortunate to be able to make it but rightly he put family first.

The Bedlington Terrier
11-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Only genuine and heartfelt best wishes towards him at our household. He was obviously out of his "comfort zone", suffered a massive bereavement and apparently his wife was not happy up here. I wish him well and remember his time here mostly with fondness. Having said all of that, hope we batter them next season!

ClaretTony2014
11-03-2015, 03:29 PM
"I wish him well and remember his time here mostly with fondness."

That's a joke - your view on him was even worse than mine in terms of the football.

Peter_Nobles_Wig
11-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Always rated Eddie and fully understood and supported his move "back home".

It was the comments of Bournemouth's Chairman that left a bad taste in the mouth.

Quattro
11-03-2015, 03:48 PM
The most true comment Ion here, "some fans never move on" - I'm surpised Jadas hasn't been blamed!

beddie
11-03-2015, 03:58 PM
"I'm surpised Jadas hasn't been blamed"

Quattro, should the "J" have been an "S" :D :D

Ted Downing-Street
11-03-2015, 03:59 PM
"I'm surpised Jadas hasn't been blamed!"

He might if anyone knew who he was.

Quattro
11-03-2015, 04:04 PM
My last post should read "Judas"!

That article is a great read - very glad that the AFCB fan posted it.

We, as fans, do owe a lot to EH - some of the talent he brought in, such as Ings, Austin, etc have served us well, and been sold on for decent profits, and ultimately, the positives of EH far outweight the negatives.

He I a manager who will get bigger and better offers, but I feel that he will remain loyal to AFCB, and the only way they will part will be if they end it. Even if they do get promoted, then get relegated, his job will be safe.

The Bedlington Terrier
11-03-2015, 04:26 PM
"I wish him well and remember his time here mostly with fondness."

That's a joke - your view on him was even worse than mine in terms of the football.

CT - let's move on! I genuinely wish him well. His legacy was really not that bad.

markyboy12345
11-03-2015, 05:06 PM
Certainly the right move for both himself and Us. We were going backwards very quickly under Howe.

davido
11-03-2015, 10:44 PM
Fantastic manager

He came in at a very difficult time and hIs brilliant signings saved Burnley FC

I understand the frustration with the style of football at times but things take time and I have no doubt this guy is heading for the very top

Bin_Ont_Turf
11-03-2015, 11:44 PM
'He came in at a very difficult time and hIs brilliant signings saved Burnley FC'

What a load of tripe.

He's the only manager in the last 11 years that didn't come in at a difficult time.

mdd2
12-03-2015, 07:32 AM
Except within 6 months he had to reduce the wage bill. At least others with the exception of Stan knew what was to come but my info is that he was given clear instructions to reduce the wage bill by 60k/week.

Bin_Ont_Turf
12-03-2015, 09:51 AM
It wasn't that big or difficult a job when considering Remco Van Der Schaaf, Chris Iwelumo, Leon Cort and Kevin McDonald.

Then throw in the ones who were at the end of their careers like Graham Alexander and Clarke Carlisle and you've virtually got the job done.

He then was lucky enough to get a pretty decent amount to spend.

mdd2
12-03-2015, 01:15 PM
VDS 7k and Kevin Mac were the only ones OOC from memory. GA big Chris LC and CC were still under contract weren't they? But anyway he had to get rid of 8.5VDS's to get to 60k/wk

braindead
12-03-2015, 01:39 PM
Assuming of course that this 60k a week figure is correct and not just some ClaretsMad made up number...?

Bin_Ont_Turf
12-03-2015, 01:43 PM
You did state 'within 6 months' MDD2.

So we can assume that he didn't manage to achieve the clear instructions of getting the wage bill down by 60 thousand a week.

mdd2
12-03-2015, 01:48 PM
I was told that at the end of our first season back in the Championship he was told the wage bill had to come down by 60k/week and my source was very reliable

Bin_Ont_Turf
12-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Actually at the end of the season, or after the summer transfer window at the end of the season?

braindead
12-03-2015, 01:55 PM
So basically just ClaretsMad gossip then?

mdd2
12-03-2015, 02:01 PM
Mostly gossip gets posted on here. This was not gossip to my ears. I was having a chat with a friend who is also a friend of EH. He was telling me what a prospect Danny Ings was and that it was nailed on that he would sign for Fulham until EH stepped in with Burnley's offer and then I was told of the discussions with the Board and the need to get 60k/wk off the wage bill.
Nothing more nothing less.
And I have no intentions of naming the person involved.

Bin_Ont_Turf
12-03-2015, 02:08 PM
From Howe becoming the manager in January 11 to the end of the summer transfer window (not talking about transfer fees here, and yes some were loaned out)...

Outs - Cort, Fox, Mears, Eagles, Thompson, Alexander, Iwelumo, Schaaf, McDonald, Carlisle and Elliott.

Ins - Stanislas, Trippier, Treacy, Mee, Ings and Hines.

(Not all of that may be correct though ;D )

Did he save 60 grand there and with whoever signed new contracts or extensions?

markyboy12345
12-03-2015, 03:50 PM
Eddie Howe also performed worse than a certain Mr Laws with us and took us backwards. Thankfully up stepped a certain Ginger Mourinho.

nekminnit
12-03-2015, 06:26 PM
I had the privilege of working down in ferndown last year as I did do back in the early 2000's, I love the area, became friends with an ex director of Bournemouth who took one look at my claret hat and came right over in the nightjar. They love him down there, a rarity in the game where a local lad takes his team up to nearly the dizzy heights of football heaven. I've nothing but the upmost respect for him and wish him every success in his journey with Bournemouth. The director told me to put a tenner on them going up, and at the time, in my head, I thought "that's pushing it a bit"... I wish I had put that tenner on regardless of how they finish up. I know they've got a bit of cash sand I know there may be mixed feelings about the whole Burnley saga, but bloody ell' what a story and I'm glad our team were a part of his progress. He helped to build the team we have today and instill some of the positivity that Sean dyche drills into them to this day. I honestly think he's a miracle for

Akinbadbye_20
12-03-2015, 06:34 PM
'Eddie Howe also performed worse than a certain Mr Laws with us and took us backwards. Thankfully up stepped a certain Ginger Mourinho.'

Haha. The only reason we were anywhere near the playoffs with Laws is because he went back to Coyles system at the start of the Championship season and got some results replicating that team.
He was clueless, a proper manager would not have replaced Steven Fletcher with Chris Iwelumo. Its a shame we didn't go for Howe straight after Coyle, would have been interesting to see that.

Notrigsbyscat
13-03-2015, 03:19 PM
showing the progress he has done with Bournemouth, twice, has to be recognized. And we all know the reasons why it didn't work out for him here.

But I do wonder about him and the portability of his skill sets. It clearly works at Bournemouth, but if he went on to manage, say, Aston Villa, would it be portable, or is the magic ingredient being a one-club wonder.

I have zero doubts that Sean Dyche's skill sets are portable, but I have many that Eddie Howe's are.

File under Brian Clough at Leeds

ClaretTony2014
13-03-2015, 10:13 PM
"The only reason we were anywhere near the playoffs with Laws is because he went back to Coyles system at the start of the Championship season and got some results replicating that team."

Strange comment.

daveisaclaret
13-03-2015, 10:26 PM
1) Laws never ever once used any system remotely similar to anything Coyle used

2) Dyche has succeeded with as many teams as Eddie Howe has, and been much less flexible in doing so

3) Wayne Rooney is a great footballer

Glad I could sort this out.