PDA

View Full Version : Michael Duff testimonial

ClaretTony2014
13-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Worth a thread of its own.

Club have confirmed that a pre-season home game on 1st August this year will be designated as his testimonial game and there are other events already planned.

Some of the money raised will be donated to Zoe’s Place Baby Hospice in Middlesbrough

FCBurnley
13-03-2015, 11:41 AM
Well deserved but considering the wages players earn, I would hope all rather than some of the money raised will go to Charity.

Testimonials these days should be viewed as an honour to the player from the club rather than a retirement pay day as used to be the case

DavetheVicar
13-03-2015, 11:59 AM
Well deserved and some of the money appears to be going to a great cause.

jedi_master
13-03-2015, 12:19 PM
Some testimonials I think are a waste of time and don't even meet the criteria (Graham Branch?) but this is one I will be attending.

An absolute modern day legend who came in with absolutely no fanfare for a piffling fee and has been a key cog in two promotions and two Premier League campaigns.

ClaretTony2014
13-03-2015, 02:08 PM
"Some testimonials I think are a waste of time and don't even meet the criteria (Graham Branch?) but this is one I will be attending."

Really never understood the one for Branch. He was only with us eight and a half years so didn't actually qualify for one.

claretant123
13-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Well deserved and great that he is donating some of the money raised to Zoe's Place.

I thought he would struggle this season and would sit on the bench at best. However, up until his injury he played well and where his speed let him down his positioning was superb.

Sat behind the goal in the Jimmy Mac lower, I would watch Duff rather than the ball. On one occasion early in the season an opposition player was chasing the ball. He pushed it past Duff then chased after it clearly the favourite to reach it first, but with a quick change of feet, Duff amended his running angle and made the challenge.

Class!

The Bedlington Terrier
13-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Top bloke! Top player! Deserves the accolade. Just like him to be already talking about charity.

neild100
13-03-2015, 04:22 PM
Top bloke - well deserved

Deserves to start tomorrow too

Bin_Ont_Turf
13-03-2015, 04:41 PM
I've never really bothered with pre season training sessions but this can't be missed.

If we ever get that Burnley Walk Of Fame then some of the past players are going to be in very good company with Michael Duff.

buxtonclaret
13-03-2015, 04:43 PM
Well and truely played his way into the Clarets Legend club.

aggi
13-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Are testimonials still tax free nowadays?

I remember there was talk on changing that but I'm not sure if anything happened.

ClaretTony2014
13-03-2015, 05:47 PM
I'm not expert on this but didn't footballer's used to get tax free testimonials after 10 or more years service but anything granted under 10 years was taxable? Things could have changed since.

ClaretMoffitt
13-03-2015, 07:13 PM
I'll definitely be attending this one.

IanMcL
13-03-2015, 09:51 PM
So are we playing Cheltenham?

Most deserved but a long way fromt eh tenner a week and an extra in the boot era, when a testimonial got a footballer over that "What happens now" outcome usually signalling the end of a career and no other skills available.

ClaretTony2014
13-03-2015, 09:54 PM
"So are we playing Cheltenham?"

I would think we are likely to play a non-English club if we are in the Premier League or a Premier League club if we are in the Championship.

Iamaclaret
18-03-2015, 10:43 PM
Stumbled across details of all the plans for this, and even some printed literature.

Has this been released by the club yet?!

Burnley_Lad2006
19-03-2015, 04:06 AM
a website has been launched: - view external link (md4testimonial.co.uk/)

Iamaclaret
19-03-2015, 08:13 AM
Yes, and I have come across a printed booklet for the same series of events.

Bizarre that nothing from the club, or Michael himself on twitter etc has been made public though?

ClaretTony2014
19-03-2015, 12:46 PM
"Stumbled across details of all the plans for this, and even some printed literature.

Has this been released by the club yet?!"

Nothing to do with the club, and even more so the club are not allowed to get involved. I believe you will be able to buy tickets for the Q&A night from Turf Moor and I'm sure they will advertise the events, but they are now permitted to get involved with them.

This testimonial isn't like any we've seen before at Burnley. Rather than engage with fans it has been set up purely to raise as much money as possible through an agency - therefore the dinner in the hotel outside Man U's ground rather than at the Turf etc.

bandit
19-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Well deserved and what a bargain - what did he costŁ26,000 - never see this again unless home grown. Total legend. Coaching role for Duff i hope