PDA

View Full Version : Best result in Burnley's Premier League history

aggi
14-03-2015, 07:13 PM
I watched the game today on American TV and I've heard this said a number of times.

Obviously our Premier League history isn't lengthy but if you're watching on US tv that's all that's going to be talked about.

Even so, I'd rate our win against Man Utd last time round as a better result.

What do you reckon?

thedonz
14-03-2015, 07:15 PM
aggi - too soon after the game to try and take the gloss of what is a truly breathtaking win!

Boliclaret
14-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Similar to the Man Unt game in 2009 with an another excellent volleyed winner.

Now its our turn to sing 'can we play you every week? :D

nekminnit
14-03-2015, 07:43 PM
This is one of the happiest days ever as a Burnley fan. I was in a Burnley pub in Ilfracombe with a turf moor street sign above the door. I sat in front of the telly whilst the England Scotland game played next door. I don't think my bum touched the seat in the last 10 minutes. I was literally willing the tv on to victory, my hands were shaking and my legs went to jelly, almost like the feeling I had in 09 when we went up, absolutely fooooookin brilliant, I had folk coming up to me and shaking my hand because I was so into the game and of course the underdog came out on top... A brilliant feeling that is a rarity to be a part of... Absolutely brilliant Burnley, well done, I'm so proud of you lads for fighting and fighting and fighting do the death, thanks a lot for giving me these great feelings, this one tops them all this season only to be topped on the day we clinch survival. So many people around here come up to me and shook my hand and wished us all the best, we're a team for prop

claret78
14-03-2015, 07:52 PM
This result was far better. We played better, the other team didn't miss a penalty and we have as good as ended City's - the richest club in the worlds- season

mkmel
14-03-2015, 08:01 PM
Love post #4 :D :D :D

Cirrus_Minor
14-03-2015, 08:13 PM
On a par with the 2009 win against Man U.

Bin_Ont_Turf
14-03-2015, 08:20 PM
That Man Utd side wasn't a patch on the Man City side that we've just beaten.

That's that settled then.

3putt
14-03-2015, 08:20 PM
The Man U 2009 win was fantastic, but so was tonight. But the big difference is that this win is far, far more important.

pstotto
14-03-2015, 08:37 PM
I hate this 'Premier League history' stuff. Talk about re-writing history, erasing the best part of 100 years top flight football.

ClaretTony2014
14-03-2015, 08:41 PM
"Even so, I'd rate our win against Man Utd last time round as a better result."

For so many reasons this is a bigger and better win than the United win in 2009 for me.

The United win was on an almost carnival night with it being our first home game in the Premier League. The whole place was buzzing and confident but we had a bit of good fortune that was needed to win it, none more so than the penalty save.

Today we went into this tough game on the back of two defeats, with Villa having just hit four at Sunderland and under some real pressure. Today's performance I thought was just magnificent.

royboyclaret
14-03-2015, 08:45 PM
Best result or not, it was a sensational night to be at Turf Moor. Just arrived home exhausted from willing on the lads to finish the job off.

City might be the millionaires but there's no substitute for the heart and passion that our boys have in spades.

Proud of them all tonight.

Dressinggown
14-03-2015, 08:58 PM
It was so good that the Jimmy Mac Upper was starting songs and the Bob Lord regulars shuffled in their seats for a short while..

claretspice
14-03-2015, 10:07 PM
Yes, better than United. Perhaps United had more symbolism because it was the return of top flight football after more than a generation away, but freak results can happen in the first week of the system.

They rarely happen in the run in, when the big lads are fully focussed on what they have to do to win the title, and the little clubs are stretched by injuries, the mental grind of battling to survive and supposedly fatigued as well. That's what makes it all the sweeter.

That's the result take care of: the fact it was completely and beyond doubt deserved, Heaton barely had a save to make in the 90 minutes and City were repelled with relative ease makes this the better performance, too.

aggi
14-03-2015, 10:13 PM
Interesting, the reason I favoured the Utd win (first game back, start of the season, unknown quantity) is the reason why others favoured today's game as more impressive.

Not taking anything away from today, I think that this year I've always had the feeling that we can get a result against a "big" team.

oldcolner
14-03-2015, 10:45 PM
Only side to take 4 points off City this year, first club to stop city scoring for a year, first time in 30 years since we last beat them. I'd go for thie game as our best result.
Great to see Sam start and Duff back and a clean sheet
Have we turned the corner

The Bedlington Terrier
15-03-2015, 05:33 AM
Must be! It was a breathtaking performance. I still cannot quite believe that we can go toe to toe with City and come out on top.
To a man, that was amongst the best performance I have ever seen from a Burnley team.
They really were that good. Totally awesome!

ashtonlongsider
15-03-2015, 06:02 AM
In the context of the season, and 'present status' of the opposition, beating City has to be our best and biggest result in PL.
Still buzzing. The changes SD made in Vokesy and Duff were significant. Playing Sam deeper certainly helped Arfield who had his best game for quite a while. The whole team were fantastic. What a spirit.
Fingers crossed this will be the springboard, think we'll need between 10-12 points from remaining fixtures.

JohnMcGreal
15-03-2015, 06:57 AM
Agree with others, last night was the best win we've had in this league. When a newly promoted team hosts the champions for their first home game, everyone knows that an upset could well be on the cards. The win against United was magnificent, but not entirely unexpected.

To beat a team like City on the back of some really disappointing performances against teams around us is extremely unexpected. The performance from the whole team last night was staggeringly good, and I honestly didn't see anything like it on the horizon.

I still can't quite believe it. Absolutely magnificent stuff.

claretspice
15-03-2015, 09:48 AM
"I think that this year I've always had the feeling that we can get a result against a "big" team."

I think that's why emotionally the United game might feel bigger. We put them on such a pedestral before the game last year because it was so big for us to be back mixing it and our first game was the Champions. This time I think we knew from games like United last time that actually, these sorts of results can be achieved. We aren't as deferential as a club this time around.

So emotionally, perhaps United will always have greater significance. As a result and performance I think last night's is far better because as I say, upsets like that just aren't in the script at this stage in proceedings.

evensteadiereddie
15-03-2015, 09:55 AM
I think it has to be the City win.
Just as a matter of interest, has anybody any idea what the comparative costs of the teams or squads for last night were ?

ClaitonClaret
15-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Or a comparison of the weekly wage bill or the players that played a part. ;D

evensteadiereddie
15-03-2015, 10:31 AM
I'll try and do the maths later - Mother's Day and all that - but last night's game has to be the biggest mismatch in terms of player "value" in English league football history.
And we did the *******s good and proper.

Peter_Nobles_Wig
15-03-2015, 10:54 AM
"I was in a Burnley pub in Ilfracombe" Which one is that then? I'm down there is a few weeks.

BurnleyIsWonderful
15-03-2015, 12:06 PM
We have just beaten the Champions of England with essentially the same team that played in the Championship last season. Out of yesterday's starting XI only Boyd signed after promotion.

Truly remarkable!

nekminnit
15-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Peter_Nobles_Wig, the pub is called The Ship and Pilot and is run by Nick, really sound guy. The pubs won quite a few awards for cider and has good real ale, i think its CAMRA affiliated, a cracking little pub, the best in town (there are quite a few). Apparantly Adrian Randall is the local postman, although i've yet to spot him and thank him for 92'...got a sore head today, one of the best hangovers i've ever had, am still buzzing, UTC, what a win!

oldcolner
15-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Claiton transfermarkt website has this info by player and says
Man city squad valued at 368M and Burnley 41.6m. Chelsea top with over 440M. We are bottom of PL teams.
Will post link by edit - view external link (www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/startseite/wettbewerb/GB1)

NottsClaret
15-03-2015, 02:49 PM
Of course, there's no need to choose. Bit I'd agree with Spice, it's the timing of this win that makes it stand out.

It's amazing how towards the end of the season all the shocks and romance disappear in the Prem. As the big money and big prizes are decided then results seem almost inevitable.

Beating Man Utd was surreal on the night, but it was August. Last night City needed to win to close the gap to 2 points on Chelsea. We simply had to get something to keep our hopes alive. It was a real pressure game, regardless of the opposition who just happened to mostly be world class superstars.

Last season at home to QPR was the best I'd seen us play, but considering the opposition last night I'd reckon it's the best team performance a couple of generations of Clarets have seen.

You can't beat those evening matches for atmosphere either. All the grumbles about the stands and the pricing seem irrelevant when everyone has had two more hours in the pub.

thedonz
15-03-2015, 03:03 PM
Is it not the opposite? My recollection is that it is at the end of the season that strange unexpected results happen. I am thinking of Liverpool losing a 3 goal lead to Palace last season off the top of my head and I am sure there are others

Imploding Turtle
15-03-2015, 03:03 PM
I think the United win was much better. They were a far better side than this Man City team having just reached the Champions League final while defending their win in it in 2008.

In 09/10 Uinited lost the title by one point (heh, we did that!), this time City have effectively lost the title by mid-march.

I think our 2-2 draw at the Etihad was a bigger achievement than the win yesterday. I'm still delighted though.

NottsClaret
15-03-2015, 03:09 PM
I've not done any research donz, this is the internet afterall.

But have a look at where the 'big 5' or whatever they call themselves are in September or October and where they end up in May.

It's always Wenger Out season in Autumn, Rodgers needs to go etc. Come the end, they've beaten all the also-rans and the likes of Blackpool - or us - are down the bottom again.

thedonz
15-03-2015, 03:12 PM
I cant argue with that Notts just disgree that at the end of the season not all results are inevitable, like yesterday.

yorksclaret
15-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Year ago today Aston Villa 1-0 Chelsea.
A few weeks later Palace 1-0 Chelsea.
A few weeks later Chelsea 1-2 Sunderland.
A few weeks later Chelsea 0-0 Norwich.

That's just one team. It's exactly this time of year that throws up the most irregular results.