PDA

View Full Version : vokes

fordy7874
14-03-2015, 10:09 PM
Thought he was outstanding today

DiBranchio
14-03-2015, 10:26 PM
Spot on Fordy, Sam was immense in is first full start since Adam was a lad. :) :star:

Steve_Harpers_Perm
14-03-2015, 10:46 PM
Fantastic display quickly dispelling any myths by some posters on here he wouldn't be up to the job in the premier league.

With Vokes and Ings together for the final 9 games gives us a chance.

DarkCloud
14-03-2015, 11:16 PM
Like button wouldn't work, but agree 100% with the OP.

Cirrus_Minor
14-03-2015, 11:22 PM
I agree. I think Vokes gives us another dimension now he seems to be back in form. Good also that Barnes also being used because he has been effective.

CombatClaret
14-03-2015, 11:24 PM
It was great to see him start again and play as part of the team he's deserved to play with.

I do feel for him next season though with the possible weight of expectation on his shoulders, many here assumed his return would herald great things for us 'Vokes is back soon' and assuming Ings goes in the summer he will be the focal point of our attacking hopes. The expectation to be the next JayRod, Austin or Ings is a tough task to live up to.

bodge
14-03-2015, 11:25 PM
There's no doubt he's a better technical centre forward than Barnes, good call from the manager.

Barnes also performed better defensively than Kights, i'n sure AB would prefer to be up top but it worked today.

spunkybackpack21
15-03-2015, 03:03 AM
Absolutely brilliant.

The Bedlington Terrier
15-03-2015, 05:15 AM
I had forgotten what a bloody good footballer Sam actually is. He gave Kompany a torrid afternoon and he is certainly no slouch. May the big fella have come back at exactly the right time?

mgill87
15-03-2015, 07:39 AM
"dispelling any myths by some posters on here he wouldn't be up to the job in the premier league."

Have posters really been saying that? If so, people must have short memories based on his wonderful performances before his untimely injury last season.

I thought he was good yesterday. There was one point when he was running onto a ball in a counter-attacking move and the commitment he was showing to try to get there before the defender was brilliant.

Jamb0MackemClaret
15-03-2015, 07:40 AM
Brilliant yesterday, arguably should have been picked earlier but at least he's in now.

mdd2
15-03-2015, 07:49 AM
The only questions about Sam's ability at this or Championship level voiced by many were his recovery from a career threatening injury. Would he return like the old Sam or as McCann and quite a few others return a lesser player? Really pleased for the lad and the team that folks feel he is the old Sam. (I missed the game as away on hols)

claretspice
15-03-2015, 09:45 AM
I questioned whether he'd be able to find the sharpness and make the step up simultaneously after such a long lay-off. I've less doubts about that now but I have to say I'm not as carried away by Vokes' performance last night as some - I didn't think he retained the ball at all in the first half (winning headers is fine, but flicks on that don't go to Burnley players are useless and its not been a percentage play for 20 years) and I don't think he was a goal threat at any point in the game in the way that even Barnes was from the left wing.

Have to say though that in the second half he began to bully City's back four in the way Barnes did at the Etihad and that was a massive factor in us getting the game further up the pitch and he gave us a massive 30 minutes of link play before he quite understandably began to tire.

stalbansclaret
15-03-2015, 10:13 AM
An absolute joy to see him back doing his thing and I thought he was superb last night. As well as strength and hold-up ability his awareness of where teammates are is exceptional. A mate of mine was insightfully saying how good it is that he has the ability to challenge defenders and win the ball whilst very rarely giving free-kicks away a la Gareth Taylor (and others)

claretspice
15-03-2015, 10:24 AM
Certainly a fair comment that he gives away a lot fewer free kicks than Barnes and that perhaps helps us play the game in better areas.

Although conversely, he wins a lot fewer free kicks - barnes won one in injury time that Vokes hadn't got all day, largely because Barnes collapsed to earth and forced the ref to give the decision.

3putt
15-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Claretspice, you must have been watching a different game to most of us yesterday. Vokes had an excellent game, showed some real quality and touches along with the physical stuff.

Our player of the year is back, clearly good enough and might just be the key to our survival.