PDA

View Full Version : Midfield and the Tactics yesterday...

thelifeofbrian
15-03-2015, 07:17 AM
I have to admit i was surprised by the changes yesterday but they really worked- considering Man city had Toure Silva and Fernadiniho we really bossed the midfield and didn't give them much time on the ball- i thought Jones Arfield and Boyd were exceptional, not 100% sure about the Barnes role but that team, formation and tactics and game plan were excellent and boyd did we do well...

we also had a bit of luck with what was a stonewall penalty- which is just what was required,

Big well done to the manager for changing it around and getting that result out of that group of players...

Jamb0MackemClaret
15-03-2015, 07:21 AM
Didn't think the tactics were really any different from usual tbh, but they worked. I feared we were switching to 4-3-3 when I saw the team, which would have been a mistake for this game - although I've argued we should use it in other matches - as City are one of the few teams that plays 4-4-2 in the PL.

But the formations matched and our shape was absolutely first class on the night, no doubt helped by an extra organiser in the back line. It helped that Barnes offered a lot more on the left than Kightly has as well.

We pressed more, we ran more, we wanted it more. It wasn't really a tactical victory, just a case of desire and character and heart and one moment of quality making the difference in a very tight match.

mgill87
15-03-2015, 07:28 AM
I'm not sure we bossed the midfield - City had about 70% of possession. However, they did struggle to get through and I do think Jones and Arfield had good games if only because they never gave the opposition any peace.

BFCmaj
15-03-2015, 07:38 AM
One of my all time favourite bands. Where were they playing?

thelifeofbrian
15-03-2015, 07:59 AM
Man city did have a lot of possession but they really didn't do much with it- hence my comment about bossing the midfield because we neutralised their creative players who ended up being subbed-we showed how good we are at working as a unit without the ball yesterday

mgill87
15-03-2015, 08:06 AM
"we neutralised their creative players who ended up being subbed-we showed how good we are at working as a unit without the ball yesterday"

Agreed :)

TinWiger
15-03-2015, 08:45 AM
There were one or two moments which worried the shyte out of me.

For some reason or another there was one or two occasions where City had the ball, around our 18 yard box and the whole team backed off as if to say "go on son, try your luck"

When you have players like Toure and Silva who can all bang from 30 yards plus, I felt the team, on those occasions, played a very dangerous game indeed.

for 90% of the match, whenever City came within 30 yards of us, Vokes, Barnes, Jones, Arfield Boyd and Ings were all snapping that their heels, giving them zero time to compose themselves for a long shot or a key pass, I just wish they would do that for 100% of the match lol

belgianclaret
15-03-2015, 10:05 AM
I think SD made a great decision in starting Vokes and playing Barnes on the wing. Barnes put in a tremendous shift and offers more up front in support

The Bedlington Terrier
15-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Vokes and Duff coming into the team gave us a real physical presence. Duff knocked Decko all over the place!
Arfield and Boyd were a different class and Jones was also superb along with all of the others.
Dare to dream..?

army88
15-03-2015, 04:12 PM
Thought Vokes was immense tbh, Kopp any and demi chalis couldn't deal with him at all.

Ing's and Barnes also excellent